Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How should I fix this chip in gelcoat?

Thank you in advance for any help.

I got a small ding in the bow of the boat. Is it small enough not to worry about it? How should I go about fixing if I do it myself? Thank you!

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by Josh7711
close up pics first

I just got done with my second fix using the Spectrum kit. The kit is good for 6 months once shipped, maybe a little longer if you put it in the fridge they told me. The kit is 2 ounces which will be 4 times the amount if not more than what you will need for that fix. They are out of FL so it was a 2 day ship for me, more for you out west. Good luck.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, wdr said:

I just got done with my second fix using the Spectrum kit. The kit is good for 6 months once shipped, maybe a little longer if you put it in the fridge they told me. The kit is 2 ounces which will be 4 times the amount if not more than what you will need for that fix. They are out of FL so it was a 2 day ship for me, more for you out west. Good luck.

awesome, good to know, thank you!

14 hours ago, Josh7711 said:

awesome, good to know, thank you!

Your repair will be a bit more technical since it goes under the rub rail.  In order to fix it properly, unscrew the rub rail as far as you need to so it will slide it down and be completely out of your way.  Tape over it to keep drips and dust from it while you wet sand.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, justgary said:

Your repair will be a bit more technical since it goes under the rub rail.  In order to fix it properly, unscrew the rub rail as far as you need to so it will slide it down and be completely out of your way.  Tape over it to keep drips and dust from it while you wet sand.

Thank you for the extra tip. i'll do that. 

• 2 months later...
Malibugelcoat

Make sure before you sand you re tape right up to the touch up to avoid sanding on the existing gel coat. Sanding on the existing gel coat could result in thin gel around the repair. If this happens you’ll need to spray not touch up.