Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not enough battery to listen to music all day

Josh7711

Thank you in advance for any help.

We were on the boat listening to music for about 5 hours then the sub went out. I switched from battery 1 to battery 2 and the sub started working again. I have a portable battery charger in case the batteries fail when trying to start engine after long day of playing music. Is it common for the sub to go out when listening to music all day? Is there something I can do to not have this issue? Thank you!

What group size batteries do you have in the boat now? And how crazy is the audio system you are running (how many watts total)? Also, how loud are you listening to music in that 5 hour period?

On my boat, we have what I would consider a decent audio system (4 Rev 10's, 10" JL sub, 8 WetSounds 6.5's in the boat, 2100 watts total), and if we listened to music for 5 hours at a decent volume, we would definitely be running the battery low. We rarely sit for that long at a time since we surf a lot, so I haven't had many issues, but I want to upgrade from 2 group 24 batteries to a group 24 starting, and a group 27 or maybe a 31 for the deep cycle battery.

20 minutes ago, DRB10SEVEN said:

What group size batteries do you have in the boat now? And how crazy is the audio system you are running (how many watts total)? Also, how loud are you listening to music in that 5 hour period?

On my boat, we have what I would consider a decent audio system (4 Rev 10's, 10" JL sub, 8 WetSounds 6.5's in the boat, 2100 watts total), and if we listened to music for 5 hours at a decent volume, we would definitely be running the battery low. We rarely sit for that long at a time since we surf a lot, so I haven't had many issues, but I want to upgrade from 2 group 24 batteries to a group 24 starting, and a group 27 or maybe a 31 for the deep cycle battery.

I'll have to check the batteries and amps watt output but the speakers I have are 6 wetsounds 6.5", 2 Icon 8", and wetsounds 12" sub. This was stock when purchased from Malibu. Thanks for the reply. I think i'm just wearing the batteries down with the length of time playing.

ahopkins22LSV

Make sure you charge your batteries in between uses if you are running the batteries down that low. Your alternator will not be able to fully recharge and maintain mostly depleted batteries time after time. I would install a battery charger/tender like this if you don't have one already:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GEN5X2-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B08G3STB1N/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2XQYQVAQZSJJR&keywords=noco+two+bank+battery+charger&qid=1690992668&sprefix=noco+tw%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-2

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Josh7711 said:

Is it common for the sub to go out when listening to music all day?

Its not so much that its the woofer, as it is the fact that it take more energy to push the lower frequencies v's the higher frequencies. These amps are processor controlled and do have a power roll-back feature due to dropping voltage. Being a DSP, if its an OEM amp, it may even have a software package that rolls the woofer channels back even further, in order to prolong the cabin and tower zones. 

If you do not have an on-board charger, id invest in one. next, sounds like you need to greatly increase the battery Ah on that house bank. 

22 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Make sure you charge your batteries in between uses if you are running the batteries down that low. Your alternator will not be able to fully recharge and maintain mostly depleted batteries time after time. I would install a battery charger/tender like this if you don't have one already:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GEN5X2-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B08G3STB1N/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2XQYQVAQZSJJR&keywords=noco+two+bank+battery+charger&qid=1690992668&sprefix=noco+tw%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-2

Thank you! I have them charging right now with portable battery charger but this looks way more convenient.

16 hours ago, MLA said:

Its not so much that its the woofer, as it is the fact that it take more energy to push the lower frequencies v's the higher frequencies. These amps are processor controlled and do have a power roll-back feature due to dropping voltage. Being a DSP, if its an OEM amp, it may even have a software package that rolls the woofer channels back even further, in order to prolong the cabin and tower zones. 

If you do not have an on-board charger, id invest in one. next, sounds like you need to greatly increase the battery Ah on that house bank. 

Thank you! I will be doing this.