Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HO Hovercraft Experience?

Skierdad32

Good day everyone.  I am/was an avid waterskier.  Slalom skiing when I was younger was more of an obsession than a hobby.  32' off and 34 mph was my favorite speed and length....but alas my body has unfortunately aged and I am still wanting to ski as much as possible but my body can only handle so much.  I have been incredibly intrigued with the HO Hovercraft.  I have a big HO Radius that I use as a warm-up but can't keep but thinking that HO Hovercraft might be just the "fun" an old guy needs. 

So who has one?  How are you using it?  Speed?  Short line rope?  Ever gone really short like wakesurf short?  Getting slack on long lines? 

Give me details...please. 

This coming from a 65 yr old with new hip in January and ski the course every weekend - how old are you and do you have chronic injuries you wouldn't mind sharing with us? For your previous level of skiing I would look at one of the current "crossover Skis" - they are easy on the body getting up and still able to run the course into 32 off (lol not me). HO Omni is an example. I am on 2017 HO Superlite CX and I can go on that ski forever - did two 8 pass sets Sunday and fun ski to free ski on. And, do you do any body training? Since my THR in Jan I have been seeing a trainer Mon & Wed and have my best core strength in 5 years. I ski with a guy at 74 runnin 32 off and has had multiple shoulder, ankle & knee injuries - his obsession keeps him young!

I've skied th4 67" at 220 lbs and 18-20 mph is the sweet spot for speed on this thing - Faster is a no go.     If you want a wider ski that can also go faster try the Radar Session - I own a 69" it will do 28 MPH smoothly but is also very easy to get up on.   I gave it to my son last year

Red-  I am 49 and in decent shape (5'10" and 175 lbs).  No chronic issues.  I could definitely be in better shape but I am just a free skier.  I have never ran the course in my life but have slalom skied since I was 9.  I willl take a look at the crossover skis and maybe I just need to upgrade to that.  Thank you all for the quick responses.

23 hours ago, Skierdad32 said:

32' off and 34 mph was my favorite speed and length.

42 minutes ago, Skierdad32 said:

I have never ran the course in my life

If you were just free skiing the whole time, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be satisfied with working up to your new favorite speed and length.  Odds are with free skiing you never came even close to the feeling of 32' off/34 MPH in a course.  I know I'll never come close to that.  I get excited these days if I make a clean run in a course at 15'/30!

My personal experience is that you are fine until you hit 60 as long as you keep doing things.  After that, it is harder to keep up with your body since it changes faster than you adapt.

• Like 2

FWIW, I just purchased a 2023 Hovercraft blank (Sun & Ski currently has them on sale, and the 2023 model has inserts for standard bindings instead of direct connect).  Had read several very positive reviews on BallofSpray, and was intrigued.  I just added an adjustable front boot and RTP that I already had laying around and took the Hovercraft out for the first time this morning.

First Impression:  We ran at 18 mph and 28 off.  Easy to pop up on, though it feels just a little bit squirrelly when initially coming on plane. Surprisingly easy to carve this fat ski, and quite fun to tool around on this first go-round.  At a reasonably fit 65 yrs old, typically free skiing a Radar Senate at 32-33 mph, I don't see this replacing my regular ride.  But, when the water/wind conditions are marginal or worse (pretty common on the large public lake we're on),  I'm thinking the Hovercraft will give me and my crew something else fun to do.  As a bonus, for beginners, I'm hoping I can now leave the double skis at home.

Edited by srab
  • Like 2
On 7/29/2023 at 11:37 AM, srab said:

I'm thinking the Hovercraft will give me and my crew something else fun to do.  As a bonus, for beginners, I'm hoping I can now leave the double skis at home.

Double skis and that d@%$ tube...... 

Thanks for the response.  I am thinking it will be added next spring.  Just for fun.  Will still ski my 67" HO when the glass is calling.