Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop recommendations for ‘23 m220

lycono

For reference, it has the m6di motor and we live at sea level. 

I tried searching for the prop included on the boat as stock (OJ 2708) but haven’t been able to find comparison info for other props or for statements of how well this prop works for surfing and wakeboarding. WakeMakers recommends an Acme 2805 which is a fair amount larger than the 2708. Does anyone run either of these on their boat and can provide feedback? I don’t care at all about top speed. I care about hole shot for my rider and for ability to maintain sufficient surf speed (10.5 mph - 12 mph for us). We demoed the boat before purchase and the boat easily did 11 mph with everything full and the wedge at 1, 2, and 3 clicks from bottom. Based on this I’m guessing I’ll be okay with the 2708 but would love others’ recommendations for a similar engine and elevation. 

Apologies if I missed obvious threads that cover this question but searching the forums didn’t bring up a similar setup (happy to be corrected). 

3 hours ago, lycono said:

For reference, it has the m6di motor and we live at sea level. 

I tried searching for the prop included on the boat as stock (OJ 2708) but haven’t been able to find comparison info for other props or for statements of how well this prop works for surfing and wakeboarding. WakeMakers recommends an Acme 2805 which is a fair amount larger than the 2708. Does anyone run either of these on their boat and can provide feedback? I don’t care at all about top speed. I care about hole shot for my rider and for ability to maintain sufficient surf speed (10.5 mph - 12 mph for us). We demoed the boat before purchase and the boat easily did 11 mph with everything full and the wedge at 1, 2, and 3 clicks from bottom. Based on this I’m guessing I’ll be okay with the 2708 but would love others’ recommendations for a similar engine and elevation. 

Apologies if I missed obvious threads that cover this question but searching the forums didn’t bring up a similar setup (happy to be corrected). 

Im in the process of this right now.. so called and talked to acme and i got the new prop (4130)that they highly recommended its not even on their website yet guess they just got done designing it and its a new design for them and guess they worked with malibu engineers on it.. i just put it on this weekend and seems def better then the oj 2708 that came stock on my 23’m220 .. im pretty much at sea level here in eastern Wa on the columbia river. So with the 2708 fully loaded i including 650 pnps 11.3mph wedge at 3 or 4 i was at like 3850-3900rpm. With this new acme 4143 prop im now 3350-3450. But only had my wife and 2kids out.. Still need to do some more testing with more crew but hole shot seems better and motor sounds quieter .. i wanted the acme 3315 because i heard great things from another m220 owner.. acme said that was great prop but this new one i got they said would be better.. initial thoughts are i feel like rpms could still be a little lower but still need to do more testing but it is better then the stock prop. Feel free to reach out to me if ya wanna chat.

15 hours ago, MountainRider05 said:

so called and talked to acme and i got the new prop (4130)that they highly recommended its not even on their website yet

Since it's not on their website, and model number doesn't really tell us anything, do you know the actual dimensions, diameter and pitch?   Thanks in advance.  

1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

Since it's not on their website, and model number doesn't really tell us anything, do you know the actual dimensions, diameter and pitch?   Thanks in advance.  

17-5/8 x14 135cup .. just got off the phone with them and going to so some more testing with max crew size and report back to them. Theres couple other variations of the same design but wanna put this prop to the full test before we consider the others 

17 minutes ago, MountainRider05 said:

17-5/8 x14 135cup .. just got off the phone with them and going to so some more testing with max crew size and report back to them. Theres couple other variations of the same design but wanna put this prop to the full test before we consider the others 

Wonder if that aggressive cup offsets the lower pitch....  I'm in a bigger boat but very interested in your results.   I'm considering 18x16-17 for my M6'ed T250.  Thanks for sharing.  

11 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

Wonder if that aggressive cup offsets the lower pitch....  I'm in a bigger boat but very interested in your results.   I'm considering 18x16-17 for my M6'ed T250.  Thanks for sharing.  

I thought the same thing.. the design is def different heres a pic of stock oj2708 on left and new acme on the right.. notice the straight edge

IMG_3744.thumb.jpeg.2ea770cce8b8b3f22c107d6ea8c605fc.jpeg

I've run the OJ 1784 (18 x 14/0.12 cup) and have had absolutely no issues. 6-8 adults, full tank of fuel, all ballast+bags full, wedge at 4. Ive run this at sea level and at 2,500ft with no issues.

ive also run the Acme 3315 (18x16/0.12 cup) and was not as impressed. 

Edited by NewMalibu

Thanks all for the responses. Looks like some good things to say about the stock prop and some others to look into. I’m curious what @MountainRider05 has to say about the ACME prop on the water. 

Edited by lycono
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the boat out on the water yesterday and was pleased with the stock OJ 2708 prop. Details below.

Elevation - Sea Level

Engine - M6

OJ 2708 (17 x 14)

Surf RPM - 10.8 - 11.6 - Full ballast + 800 PnP + 3 people (1 adults + 2 kids between 9 and 13) = 3550 - 3750

Wedge @ 1 and 2

RPMs were fine, hole shot was great, boat easily made our desired surf speed. Unless I discover a performance flaw over the rest of the season, I think this prop will be just fine for me.