Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service Required Warning

Hey all.  First post here.  I tried "searching" for this code I am getting but not figuring out which one matches my boat so I apologize if this has been hashed out numerous times and this is a redundant post. 

New Malibu Owner.  2014 Malibu 23 LSV LS3 Corvette Motor.  Have probably put 12 hours on it.  430 hours total.  I had a code pop up... SPN: 65566 FMI:1

Here is what I know.....Seems like this is an O2 Sensor issue?   Catalytic converter or Catalyst issue?   Possibly ECM issue. 

I know there is a design flaw in that plastic cover above the motor has drip holes and water from life jackets can drip onto the computer system.  I have been watching this closely and don't believe anything has dripped onto the computer.  I do know the previous owner paid $2000 to get it replaced last fall during winterization.  He has replaced O2 sensors but he thinks that was a while ago.

I have only ran 91 octane (no ethanol) in the boat.   Waiting on the Malibu dealership to get back to me on this.

Thoughts? Advice?  If it is O2 sensors, any idea on cost to replace?

Can I run the boat this weekend if I can't get it in until next week?

Fault alarm for SPN: 65566 FMI:1 indicates that the bank 2 exhaust is running rich.  It can be caused by a dirty or restricted flame arrestor, high fuel pressure, leaking fuel injector, contaminated fuel, or a faulty O2 sensor.  The pre-cat O2 sensor from bank 2 could be swapped with the bank 1 sensor to see if the fault code changes.  If the fault changes to SPN: 65565 FMI:1, then you likely have a faulty O2 sensor.  Otherwise, cleaning the flame arrestor, checking to see if the the fuel pressure is too high or if there is a significant pressure loss at key off would be the next steps.  There are other things that can cause the code, like a fuel leak allowing excess fuel vapor to be drawn into the intake or a problem with the bank 2 O2 sensor circuit. 

Coking can occur on the O2 sensors and cause false readings if the boat is operated with a prop pitch too large for your conditions or from running heavily loaded below 4000 RPM for extended periods.  Running with a light load above 4000 RPM for 10 minutes will clean the O2 sensors if that occurs. 

Thank you.  We had been surfing for probably 1.5-2 hours and then were taking a cruise but I couldn't tell you if we were above 4000 rpms.  We drove roughly 20 minutes or so around 25-30 mph.   Temp was only 166-171, everything looked normal on the screen (battery, etc..). 

Probably should taken it out the following day to see if it did it again.  Just sort of panicked and we headed back to put the boat on the trailer.  Was afraid if I turned it off, it wouldn't start again.  But after reading the book, sounds like I overreacted about it starting back up. 

O2 Sensors.  Will be back out on the lake tomorrow.  Malibu Mechanic was amazing. Walked me through everything.  Between gas for the vehicle, getting new O2 sensors, etc.. I was out $500 on the day but learned a great deal about the boat. 

• 1 month later...

CSLEAVER-  You are spot on.  So we got O2 sensors changed and after roughly 10 hours of use, my warning indicator light came back on.  It was our final day on the lake Sunday and yesterday the boat was winterized.  Mechanic basically said "you need to push this motor harder above 400 rpms for more than 10 minutes after surfing".   Mechanic said I am not pushing the boat hard enough to get the catalytic converter hot enough to push the carbon out.  The plan this spring is to put the boat in the water and run over 4000 rpms for 30-45 minutes to "clean" out the cats.  I think the previous owner just didn't push the motor hard enough and so cats are gummed up.  I guess in May I will find out if he is right. lol 

Boat will get cleaned tonight and into storage tomorrow.  Short season here with us being a hunting family.  Now onto fall sports.