Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2023 22 LSV Surf Setup

ShaneHagen

Sorry if this is a redundant topic. I just purchased a new 22 LSV. Went surfing today with about 6 people in the boat. Had a hard time getting the boat up to speed. Been out of the boat game for a little while. Is everyone changing out the props on these new boats to help with this kind of stuff?  I do plan on wakeboarding as well. Just surprised this is even an issue these days. 

Congrats on the purchase but to get any meaningful advice suggest you provide lots more info.  Engine, altitude, current prop, ballast and surf settings, observed rpm, etc.  That can help diagnose if it's a setup issue or if it could be motor related. 

And what do you mean by "hard time getting up to speed?"  Did it achieve the surf speed but just slower than you expected or did it never get there? 

A potential guest at your issue, if you totally fill ballast and also put 6 adults in the stern (like an extra 1000 lbs) it could be pointing nose to the sky and make prop push up more than forward causing struggles getting to speed

I’m in East Texas. So low altitude. If I’m being honest, I’m not sure which prop is coming on these boats. I’ll check into that. Filled up all the way. Trying to run 11 mph for now until we get it dialed the way we would like it. Runs 4k rpm. It would just get to like 10mph and stop. We had everyone spread out nicely in the boat. If I put 4 of the 6 up front it would finally reach speed. 

FWIW, I know some folks will disagree, but we prefer no wedge on our 2019 22 LSV. All ballast full except 50% in stbd stern tank (including PnPs). I try to put 1 adult in the port rear corner, 1 in the observer, and 1 in the bow. Kids go wherever. I keep 100 lbs of lead in the storage area under the glove box all the way forward. Goofy wave I just flip the surf gate and it works fine with just having the adult slide over to the stbd corner (no shifting of weight in ballast tanks)

I'm currently running a 2249 prop with the 409 engine at 6000' and can easily hold 11.6 mph with that setup, RPMs are around 3700. The wave has plenty of push...I'm 220 and can surf ropeless with my 45 lb 4 year old riding on my shoulders.

ahopkins22LSV

I know it’s a whole new hull/boat for 2023 but here are our setting fwiw. 

11.0mph, wedge 3 for goofy, wedge 3-4 for regular depending on the person surfing, full ballast with plug n play, 100 lead in front of observer storage, 200 lead in front of bow. No problem getting to 11mph with the 2249 prop. RPMs are 3800-4100. A bit high but I’m only at half throttle to hold speed. Wave is great on both sides

• Like 2

@ahopkins22LSV

Before you added lead to your boat where you able to hit Wedge 3-4 at 11mph?

Just curios as I have no lead, full ballast & pnp, 3-4 adults and I can't get my 22' 22 LSV to get up to speed with wedge 3 or 4. If I toss two adults in the bow I can get it but just curios if you had the same experience and that is why you added the lead. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Matt2364 said:

@ahopkins22LSV

Before you added lead to your boat where you able to hit Wedge 3-4 at 11mph?

Just curios as I have no lead, full ballast & pnp, 3-4 adults and I can't get my 22' 22 LSV to get up to speed with wedge 3 or 4. If I toss two adults in the bow I can get it but just curios if you had the same experience and that is why you added the lead. 

I don’t know. Never tried without it. However I have surfed without moving the 200 to the boat and left it in the back and the boat did just fine. Slightly higher RPMs if I remember correctly. 

I have a 2019 22LVS as well that I just bought and testing out all the ballast and wedge settings. Earlier today I had set 100% all ballast tanks including (2) pnp in rear, wedge at middle 3 or 4, surf gate left at 10.6mph.   Only myself (150lbs)and my 3 kids around 100-120 lbs were on it.  I noticed the boat kept turning right as I accelerate so I had to steered hard to the left just to keep it centered.   Is this a common issue or something is wrong with the steering?  

Boat steer fine when empty. 

thanks alot guys. 

On 7/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, ahopkins22LSV said:

Honestly, I don’t use the presets, never have other then to see what the suggested setup is. On our 22LSV I just fill all, set wedge at 3, cruise at 11 and then select surf side. Could I save that as a preset? Sure but it is all on the ballast screen so it is just as easy, if not easier in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Jasondao25 said:

I have a 2019 22LVS as well that I just bought and testing out all the ballast and wedge settings. Earlier today I had set 100% all ballast tanks including (2) pnp in rear, wedge at middle 3 or 4, surf gate left at 10.6mph.   Only myself (150lbs)and my 3 kids around 100-120 lbs were on it.  I noticed the boat kept turning right as I accelerate so I had to steered hard to the left just to keep it centered.   Is this a common issue or something is wrong with the steering?  

thanks alot guys. 

Yes, you need to steer a bit to counter the surfgate shifting the running keel of the boat, almost like the allignment of a car.  You get used to it after a very short while, but when you get someone transferring over the wake and switching sides on you, its all awkward again! 

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Jasondao25 said:

thanks alot guys. 

Surfing regular, or on the port side of the boat? If so, then yeah the counter steer is normal because the right side gate is out and fighting the prop rotation. Goofy side is not as bad. 

I’ve been playing around with it. If I put my wedge on 2 I can get to 11 mph pretty easily. If I go to 3 on the wedge it’s really hard to get up to speed. I’m going to play around with some extra weight in the bow. 

Prop and engine is key info.  I had a 2017 22LSV, I know it's different now but a change in prop to an ACME with more cup cured all of my problems.  Same with my new 23LSV.  I changed from the factory OJ "high elevation" prop to a larger ACME prop with more pitch and dropped 600rpm at surf speed.  Let us know what prop and engine you have and I'll look up what I purchased for the 2017 22LSV and let you know.  It also dropped my surf rpm by around 600 and created a much better wave.  I never surfed my 22LSV at 11MPH.  I always found that 10.6 was the sweet spot for the 22.  My 23LSV loves 11mph.  Each size is different for sure.  

Just a side note.  I let a friend take my boat out the other day and he said he couldn’t achieve surf speed and the wave wasn't that good.  Turns out, he left the swim step down.  Not sure if your boat has it, but if you leave it down it will ruin the wave. 

• Like 2

I have the M5DI motor with the 2708 prop. Mine really seems to like 11 mph with the wedge at 3. I’m thinking I just need to upgrade my prop to get up to speed. 

ahopkins22LSV

Personally I don’t know that prop at all. Mine has the ACME 2249 right now that moves the boat extremely well. However I have a ACME 2277 on the way based on the results of many on here that have switched to it and had excellent results lowers RPMs and still having plenty of torque to surf. Either would be a good option and my 2249 will probably be for sale next week once the new prop gets here. 

I had a 2249 on 2022 A22 with M5 at 600ft above sea level. Surf RPMs were a bit higher than I liked (3800ish loaded at 10.9).

Tried a 2277 and that was too aggressive - boat really struggled fully loaded however 2279 was perfect fit.  Less cup than 2277 but extra degree of pitch over 2249.

Surf RPMs dropped by 250ish and cruising I picked up 2.5mph at similar RPMs compared to 2249. 2249 now my spare.

18 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Personally I don’t know that prop at all. Mine has the ACME 2249 right now that moves the boat extremely well. However I have a ACME 2277 on the way based on the results of many on here that have switched to it and had excellent results lowers RPMs and still having plenty of torque to surf. Either would be a good option and my 2249 will probably be for sale next week once the new prop gets here. 

I have a 2019 VLX21 with a damaged 2277 and I was just about to get a 2249. 

I have the 409 monsoon and we’re under 1000 feet elevation, would you think the 2249 will be more of a tax on my engine rpm’s and gas?  

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, nolans86 said:

I have a 2019 VLX21 with a damaged 2277 and I was just about to get a 2249. 

I have the 409 monsoon and we’re under 1000 feet elevation, would you think the 2249 will be more of a tax on my engine rpm’s and gas?  

Let me start with, I am not a prop expert. I bought the 2277 off of experiences I’ve read on here and a local friend with a T220 that switched to it. 

That said, I think unless you are running a ton of extra weight in the 21VLX you are going to be screaming high rpm’s with the 2249. 

14 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Let me start with, I am not a prop expert. I bought the 2277 off of experiences I’ve read on here and a local friend with a T220 that switched to it. 

That said, I think unless you are running a ton of extra weight in the 21VLX you are going to be screaming high rpm’s with the 2249. 

Thank you for the pov.  I am focusing alot of my research around the 2249 versus the 2247, and the 2247 is what wakemakers recommends for my boat as an upgrade from the standard, 2277.   I laugh as I write this because it seems like I know what I’m talking about, but I’m at least clear the larger cup is equivalent to a longer pitch even though everything but the cup between the 2247 and 2249 are identical.

It seems like the 2247 would be the ideal upgrade.   I’m towing my wife and daughter at 32-34 mph skiing and it seems like the RPM Would be equally felt there, as well.

Edited by nolans86

I haven’t taken the time to look up the 2247 difference from the 2249 but experience with the 2277 and 2249 is that the 2249 will run 300-350 RPMs higher/louder. The 2277 should be great for your boat/engine/altitude combo, and even more so if you want to go over 25 mph. 2249 would be very annoying in the ski speed ranges.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:16 PM, ShaneHagen said:

I have the M5DI motor with the 2708 prop. Mine really seems to like 11 mph with the wedge at 3. I’m thinking I just need to upgrade my prop to get up to speed. 

I looked it up on my orders and I was running the 2277 on my 2017 22LSV.  This was at 7,000ft elevation.  Reduced rpm at surf speed, although my sweet spot for that boat was 10.7 mph, not 11mph.  It also increase max speed at reasonable rpms.