Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to attach portable rope ladder to Malibu?

Josh7711

Thank you in advance for any help. I just purchased this inexpensive ladder and am trying to figure out best way to secure it to boat. How do you recommend I secure it to boat without the carabiner scraping the boat anywhere? Anyone have experience with these quick ladder setups? Thank you! 

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 7.56.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 7.57.08 AM.png

On 7/21/2023 at 7:58 AM, Josh7711 said:

Thank you in advance for any help. I just purchased this inexpensive ladder and am trying to figure out best way to secure it to boat. How do you recommend I secure it to boat without the carabiner scraping the boat anywhere? Anyone have experience with these quick ladder setups? Thank you! 

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 7.56.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 7.57.08 AM.png

Did you try this rope ladder out yet? I'm interested to see how you attached it and how it held up with use.....

23 minutes ago, RCR47 said:

Did you try this rope ladder out yet? I'm interested to see how you attached it and how it held up with use.....

Didn't end up needing it last weekend while we were out but will definitely be using it this weekend. i'll post update. I'll be doing trying out method mentioned above extensions and then hook to the 2 D rings on the transom. I'll probably just use 2 strong cord/rope loops around the transom to hook the 2 D rings to. It seamed to work when I tried in my driveway with the boat but will test it on the water this weekend. I'll update.

5 minutes ago, justgary said:

Does your boat not have a swim platform?

It does have a swim platform surf deck but some people have a hard time getting up out of the water. I personally don't but some do : )

those ladders are hard to use. especially if you already have difficulties. there is nothing holding the bottom rungs so as you try to climb your weight pushes the rungs towards the boat and you swing under the swim platform. 

On 7/27/2023 at 1:59 PM, Josh7711 said:

It does have a swim platform surf deck but some people have a hard time getting up out of the water. I personally don't but some do : )

On 7/29/2023 at 8:52 PM, TOREBACK said:

those ladders are hard to use. especially if you already have difficulties.

This is why I asked.  Climbing a rope ladder requires both strength and dexterity.  You might find that a hard ladder is easier.  This site has a fairly recent thread with details of adding a slide out ladder to a platform.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:07 AM, Josh7711 said:

Didn't end up needing it last weekend while we were out but will definitely be using it this weekend. i'll post update. I'll be doing trying out method mentioned above extensions and then hook to the 2 D rings on the transom. I'll probably just use 2 strong cord/rope loops around the transom to hook the 2 D rings to. It seamed to work when I tried in my driveway with the boat but will test it on the water this weekend. I'll update.

We used the ladder this weekend and it worked good. Hung it off the transom with long enough rope so all rungs were in the water. A professional setup would of course better better but for $28 it's worth it. The girl I brought that wanted the a ladder tested it and said it's a lot better then before. She still pulls herself up using the rope but it's a lot easier. The bottom rungs will swing under but you'll far enough away from the prop and if anything your feet will touch the wedge which doesn't seem like a big deal. 

On 7/29/2023 at 6:52 PM, TOREBACK said:

those ladders are hard to use. especially if you already have difficulties. there is nothing holding the bottom rungs so as you try to climb your weight pushes the rungs towards the boat and you swing under the swim platform. 

We used the ladder this weekend and it worked good. Hung it off the transom with long enough rope so all rungs were in the water. A professional setup would of course better better but for $28 it's worth it. The girl I brought that wanted the a ladder tested it and said it's a lot better. She still pulls herself up using the rope but it's a lot easier. The bottom rungs will swing under but you'll far enough away from the prop and if anything your feet will touch the wedge which doesn't seem like a big deal. 

We used the ladder this weekend and it worked good. Hung it off the transom with long enough rope so all rungs were in the water. A professional setup would of course better better but for $28 it's worth it. The girl I brought that wanted the a ladder tested it and said it's a lot better. She still pulls herself up using the rope but it's a lot easier. The bottom rungs will swing under but you'll far enough away from the prop and if anything your feet will touch the wedge which doesn't seem like a big deal. 

The fold out ladder would be the definite better longterm solution but for the money right now the ladder will work. If I get more complaints from people in the boat i'll probably look at proper fold out ladder in future 

2 hours ago, Josh7711 said:

you'll touch the wedge sometime but the prop seems pretty far away 

I won't touch anything at all as I don't need the rope ladder. Maybe you are right. However, since there is no way to anchor the bottom of the rope ladder, I can picture someone that needs a ladder coming almost horizontal under the platform before falling back into the lake unsuccessful.

• Like 2

I'm in the process of installing an under deck swim ladder, there's a long thread about it that describes others doing it here:  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, platon20 said:

I'm in the process of installing an under deck swim ladder, there's a long thread about it that describes others doing it here:  

Thank you!