Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter wake

VCPD

I am a wakeboarder, grew up primarily boarding behind my family's 1998 Sportster with a tower. Wondering if anyone knows if a late 90s early 00s sunsetter LX would give me a bigger wake? My brothers and I are to the point where we could really benefit from a bigger wake, but our funds are somewhat limited - a wakesetter or super air might be out of our reach financially. Was also hearing the LXI could be a good crossover option - we do like to barefoot/slalom/trick from time to time - but it might take more work to get the bigger wake. 

Anyway wake would be my biggest concern. We have high familiarity with 98 sportster, so was thinking a sunsetter might be a nice little step up for us with extra room etc. Any help or info is appreciated!

I have a 2000 sunsetter and its definitely a versatile boat. We have gotten the wake pretty good size with bags and a full crew. 
I do not even have the wedge on it. (might do that in the future one day) but for now its easy to get a flat ski wake, and even with a surf plate make a decent little surf wave. 

We mostly wakeskate wake to wake and its the perfect size. When I fully bagged it out and wakeboarded the other day it was decently big. 

Those early v-drives are the most versatile boats out there IMO. 

• Like 2

I am not a hull expert but I have an 06 Vride which I believe is the same 21ft hull as the sunsetter.  There is a diamond hull though which has a better slalom wake I believe which I do not have, so not sure if that's what you are looking at.  I am not a great wakeboarder so my boat has way more potential than I would ever need.  However, I have a friend and his son used to be a sponsored 'boarder ....pulled him behind my boat a few times with full ballast and wedge and he said the wake was great.  He was able to pull off all his tricks...inverts...spins , huge airs etc with no issue.  I think that the Sunsetter would be a significant upgrade for a wakeboarder for sure.  I am sure others will chime in.

I picked up a 2002 sunscape 23 lsv a year ago.  got it with a brand new engine for less than 20K.

good to great wakeboarding wake, decent for skiing, and we're getting it tuned for surfing right now with good results without any ballast in the back.  My dad has the same boat (2000 escape 23 lsv) and it's one of my favorite wakes out there. Very smooth, not as much of a "kicker" wake which I like.  I Also had a friend with a late 90s sunsetter back in high school and his wake was very similar to the escape/sunscape.  Great all around boats. Lot of discussion about the diamond hull, but with some weight, I love the wake the sunsetter and sunscapes produce (I actually prefer wakeboarding without the wedge if there is enough weight). 

I have seen some early wakesetters go for less than 20K which seem to be in decent shape.  Also a good option. 

Edit #2: If you're looking more for wake/surf, I'd strongly suggest looking at the V-drives. 

Edited by Zloe
  • Like 2

I have a 2002 LXI. It has a great slalom wake and can get a great wakeboard wake as well. It has the large storage compartment in the back and we reinforced  it to support over the gas tank so we can fit 1000lbs fat sack in it. Got that idea from a thread on this site!!! We use the wedge and depending on crew size add as much ballast as needed to dial in the wave. To wakesurf we fill the bag, offset it to the surf side, put a suckgate on and get a very surfable wave. Not as nice of a surf wave as the newer mode V drives but there is something nice about being so close to the water :surfing:

• Like 2

If slalom/wakeboarding is your jam, then get a sunsetter LXi but make sure it has the wedge.

If you think surfing might be in your future, then definitely v-drive. An early 2000’s VLX or sunscape would be perfect.

Edited by braindamage
14 hours ago, Bravotango said:

I have a 2000 sunsetter and its definitely a versatile boat. We have gotten the wake pretty good size with bags and a full crew. 
I do not even have the wedge on it. (might do that in the future one day) but for now its easy to get a flat ski wake, and even with a surf plate make a decent little surf wave. 

Those early v-drives are the most versatile boats out there IMO. 

12 hours ago, DUKENO1 said:

I am not a hull expert but I have an 06 Vride which I believe is the same 21ft hull as the sunsetter.  There is a diamond hull though which has a better slalom wake I believe which I do not have, so not sure if that's what you are looking at.  I am not a great wakeboarder so my boat has way more potential than I would ever need.  However, I have a friend and his son used to be a sponsored 'boarder ....pulled him behind my boat a few times with full ballast and wedge and he said the wake was great.  He was able to pull off all his tricks...inverts...spins , huge airs etc with no issue.  I think that the Sunsetter would be a significant upgrade for a wakeboarder for sure.  I am sure others will chime in.

He is asking about an LX and LXI, not a Sunsetter VLX.  Two different animals.  Also, only the 2001 Sunsetter VLX (for the Vdrives) is the sole Vdrive Sunsetter with a diamond hull, the others were the wake hull.  The Sunscape 21LSV was the only other Vdrive SV23 hull with the diamond hull.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

He is asking about an LX and LXI, not a Sunsetter VLX.  Two different animals.  Also, only the 2001 Sunsetter VLX (for the Vdrives) is the sole Vdrive Sunsetter with a diamond hull, the others were the wake hull.  The Sunscape 21LSV was the only other Vdrive SV23 hull with the diamond hull.

You are correct sorry I missed that and thanks for the info.