Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'95 Response - rear deck grab handle / ski ring

3ceHutch

Hello Crew,

Been enjoying for two months our "new to us" '95 Response. Have used only for slalom skiing so far.  Plan on towing a tube for kids in the next few weeks.

Question is regarding the ski ring at the transom on the rear grab handle: 

Can this be this actually be used for skiing?  And even for towing a tube?  Would there be possible weight restrictions?

My plan would only to use this ski ring only for towing smaller kids skiing (100lbs or less) and kids on single tubes 20 mph or less.

Thanks

Hutch

For skiing no problem. I have seen tubes "submarine" unexpectantly and put a pretty good pull on the rope. I would stick with the pylon for tubing. BTW 95 Response is a lovely ski tug IMO

1 hour ago, 3ceHutch said:

Hello Crew,

Been enjoying for two months our "new to us" '95 Response. Have used only for slalom skiing so far.  Plan on towing a tube for kids in the next few weeks.

Question is regarding the ski ring at the transom on the rear grab handle: 

Can this be this actually be used for skiing?  And even for towing a tube?  Would there be possible weight restrictions?

My plan would only to use this ski ring only for towing smaller kids skiing (100lbs or less) and kids on single tubes 20 mph or less.

Thanks

Hutch

The rear ring is fine for tubing. I have pulled three tubes of teenagers from the two D rings and the middle ski ring without any issue. 

On 7/18/2023 at 2:07 PM, Bozboat said:

The rear ring is fine for tubing. I have pulled three tubes of teenagers from the two D rings and the middle ski ring without any issue. 

agreed, it is handy if folks want to sit on the back seat.

Having said that, the boat doesn't drive as well, and it is actually harder to whip the tube around.

4 hours ago, flapjack said:

agreed, it is handy if folks want to sit on the back seat.

Having said that, the boat doesn't drive as well, and it is actually harder to whip the tube around.

Oh I agree, the pylon is the better tow point for level 5 tubing, but OP was asking about the rear towpoint for smaller kids under 20 mph. 

I've seen skiboats lifted off a trailer and placed in a lake with a small crane by that handle and the bow ring.

Edited by electricjohn
12 hours ago, justgary said:

This is a thing?  My childhood was nothing like that....

Go old school. Tractor innertube, orange pfd, wrap handle around tube and sail 10 ft high. :)

• Like 2
9 hours ago, footndale said:

Go old school. Tractor innertube, orange pfd, wrap handle around tube and sail 10 ft high. :)

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  We had the tractor tube and a white "ski belt," but I don't remember anything about 20 MPH.  This was particularly true if Pat's older brother was driving. 

The worst thing was getting "flushed" through the tube and snagging the valve stem on your way by.  It's a wonder we survived!

I've pulled my 10' x24' floating dock off the beach by the rear ring on my Tantrum.  Wouldn't do it again, but I had no issues.  You can easily pull a tube off that!

10 hours ago, footndale said:

We used to use a thing called the "Berkley Tube Saddle" with our tractor inner tubes.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  We had the tractor tube and a white "ski belt," but I don't remember anything about 20 MPH.  This was particularly true if Pat's older brother was driving. 

The worst thing was getting "flushed" through the tube and snagging the valve stem on your way by.  It's a wonder we survived!

I have scars from the 3” brass valve stem, and I knew a kid who lost 1/2 a hand in the rope tied to a tube. Surgeons did reattach it. Not big news now but it was a big deal back then.

25 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I have scars from the 3” brass valve stem, and I knew a kid who lost 1/2 a hand in the rope tied to a tube. Surgeons did reattach it. Not big news now but it was a big deal back then.

We always thought it was weird how we would make sure the rope was right next to the valve stem, and the valve stem was down every time we started.  Somehow that thing was wherever you were and pointing right at you as you were leaving the tube.

How quick this thread spiraled to some smart(?) Bu Crew members proving that its a miracle the male species has survived this long ... 'watch this & hold my beer' he utters :lol: