Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

upgrade to Malibu MXZ stereo

ooklay

I have a 2022 24MXZ and have 4x Rev8 and a 12" sub.  I was thinking as a phased approach to upgrading the sound system I could replace the stocks amplifiers.  I was recommended a SYN-DX6 and a SYN-DX2.3.  The next logical step would be changing to Rev10 tower speakers.

The shop I spoke to was really upfront and honest about what I can expect.

Questions

* Does this strategy of replacing amps first make sense and are these the amps you would use?

* He mentioned I will have battery drain and need to charge my batteries while lifted at the marina, is this everyone else's experience?

* He mentioned when replacing amps on Malibu's that have the regular radio you will get a slightly increased hum sound.  Is this a big deal and everyone else's experience?

Thanks

samahickman

Hey man-I’m not an expert, but…

yes, replacing amps first seems reasonable. Watch the gains and you won’t destroy anything.

hard to believe the batteries issue is hard and fast true when nobody knows how long you’ll run the alternator to charge them up.

I have a stock radio and do have some hum/hiss. I think the issue is those stock radios don’t have the power output to sync up with the modern, performance amps. So, your stock signal is weak and the amplifiers, when gained up, find any and all noise to push through the speakers.

why do you wanna upgrade a 2022 system i the first place? In my mind it’d be fantastic?

On 7/12/2023 at 3:44 PM, ooklay said:

* Does this strategy of replacing amps first make sense and are these the amps you would use?

What is the goal? The 6 chnl that was suggested, is the same as the OEM, but has consumer level tuning v's DSP. So no real "upgrade" other then allowing for a little hotter gain setting. Id consider the next amp level up. 

He mentioned I will have battery drain and need to charge my batteries while lifted at the marina, is this everyone else's experience?

In reality, the amperage draw increase is going to be minimal. With that said, if your normal outing is to spend alot of time playing the tunes with the engine off, then you would want to be using shore charging as it is now. 

He mentioned when replacing amps on Malibu's that have the regular radio you will get a slightly increased hum sound.  Is this a big deal and everyone else's experience?

Not sure what a regular radio is v's non-regular. Noise has not been my experience. If the media unit is creating the noise, its going to be there with the OEM amps already.