Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Center Ski Locker (Pump etc)

Parkerbw85

Parkerbw85

New to the forum and wake boats.  Just purchased a used 2002 VLX and it did not come with owners manual or parts diagram. In the center ski locker I have an aerator pump that has a handle to close/open valve. I also have what appears to be a ballast pump that is not connected to anything. 

question: what is the aerator pump for and is it normal for the ballast pump to be loose?  Maybe the ballast pump is to connect and fill a ballast sack if there was one in the ski locker area. Is that the proper term (ski locker) for the compartment on the floor next to drivers seat? 

Thanks, 

BP 

My 2000 vlx had an identical setup.

The valve (before the inlet pump) is important as that ballast bag in the ski locker can gravity fill due to its location with the waterline. I found I needed to close that valve whenever I wanted the bag to stop filling or if I was leaving the boat in the water overnight  

Mine had the same loose pump to drain the ballast bag. There should be a hose from the ballast bag to the loose pump inlet and another hose from the pump outlet through the driver’s footwell and ending at the through hull fitting under the windshield on the drivers side. 

Edited by Liquidmx

The loose pump is the drain pump for a ballast bag that fills up the ski locker area. The pump attached to the thru hull valve is the fill pump. There should be a hose that goes from it to the front of the ballast bag. Heres what my ballast bag looks like

20221207_154823.jpg

Parkerbw85

Thank you both ! I’m glad I joined - the ballast bag is not in there so either it didn’t come with the boat and has never had one which is fine.  Main thing is just wanted to know what these went to and you both helped big time figuring that out.

Do you not have a ballast bag in there? As stated, one pump (the one attached to the thru hull) is to fill the ballast bag that is supposed to be in the center locker. The other “loose” one, is to drain the bag. 

edit: posted at the same time as your response. I would close the thru hull valve in that case. You don’t want a kid playing with switches and hitting the ballast fill switch on the dash! 

Edited by Pnwrider
Parkerbw85
58 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Do you not have a ballast bag in there? As stated, one pump (the one attached to the thru hull) is to fill the ballast bag that is supposed to be in the center locker. The other “loose” one, is to drain the bag. 

edit: posted at the same time as your response. I would close the thru hull valve in that case. You don’t want a kid playing with switches and hitting the ballast fill switch on the dash! 

Great point thanks !! 

I would strongly second closing that valve.

Cautionary tail: When I sold my 2000 vlx the buyer kept the boat in a slip on the water. They failed to close that valve once and (presumably/speculatory), the bag filled to the point that it pushed the drain hose off the drain pump. The boat proceeded to take on water through the ballast bag and empty into the bilge.

Fortunately they came back to a very busy bilge pump and a still floating boat. Luck was on their side as it could have been much much worse. 

Parkerbw85
2 hours ago, Liquidmx said:

I would strongly second closing that valve.

Cautionary tail: When I sold my 2000 vlx the buyer kept the boat in a slip on the water. They failed to close that valve once and (presumably/speculatory), the bag filled to the point that it pushed the drain hose off the drain pump. The boat proceeded to take on water through the ballast bag and empty into the bilge.

Fortunately they came back to a very busy bilge pump and a still floating boat. Luck was on their side as it could have been much much worse. 

Thanks ! I appreciate any advice there is on this - greatly appreciated