Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015-2017 23LSV

66nogo

New to the forum, but not boating.  We are looking for a 2015-2017 23 lsv.  It seems like the consensus is to stay away from the 2014 because of the dash/screens.  I would prefer LSA power.  They seem to be harder to find with the bigger power.  Is there any major difference in these years that make one year better than others?  

Thanks for the input👍

not a huge difference in the year range specified-

2015/2016 still have the Wakesetter decal on the hull and 2017 went too the larger Malibu decal

tower options will be G3, G3.5 or G4 , tower speakers are in the uppers corners of g3 /g3.5 and G4 has them in the center crossmember

all 3 years will have 3 piece hull construction. 

Here's a stream of consciousness regarding the differences I know of since I have a '15 23 LSV:

• 2015 23 LSV was GM based based engines, 2016 changed to Ford based engines. Malibu went back to GM blocks when they started assembling their own engines. There was a lot of talk about the Ford engines being louder and hotter than GM, but I don't remember any actual testing.
  • The vinyl changed from the old/solid in 2015 to perforated vinyl in 2016, I don't remember when it changed back to solid vinyl.
  • 2015 was the first year of the 12" screen above the steering wheel, I haven't had issues with mine but some people had the LDVS cable (cat5 cable) come loose.
  • The smaller display in front of the throttle had issues in 2015 and was replaced under warranty for almost every boat. The smaller display contains the Windows CE computer that sustained some sort of systemic failure, I don't remember what at the moment.
  • 2015 boats didn't have the surf band, but there was a retrofit kit; it didn't require a firmware update, just plugging in the receiver in the back of the wiring harness.
  • 2015 G3 tower has cam buckles, but changed to 1/4 turn levers in 2016
  • 2015 phone holder is fixed width but changed to a different design in 2016. The bolt pattern is the same so the 2015 version could be replaced with the 2016+ version.
  • 2015 engines, engine computers, and dash system are a bit unique with how they "talk" so it would require a small choice of very specific engines to re-power a 2015. I under powered my boat when I ordered it (base "350" 230kW engine) so I was investigating re-powering it. It's not worth the effort to re-power unless insurance or something/someone is subsidizing the engine.

@Stevo"3 piece hull construction"? I was at the factory watching my boat get built and I only saw two pieces: the hull and top deck, what's the 3rd piece? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mikeo said:

@Stevo"3 piece hull construction"? I was at the factory watching my boat get built and I only saw two pieces: the hull and top deck, what's the 3rd piece? 

I guess it not technically 3 pieces, but I’m referring to the interior construction where in 2018 the interior seat bases and vertical sidewalls are gel coat and integrated into the top deck vs carpeted starboard 

IMG_9789.jpeg

IMG_9788.jpeg

Thanks to everyone for the replies! 

There is a lot of info here I wasn't aware of; an awesome resource for owners and would be's.. so I've come to the right place!  We have owned quite a few boats, just not a Malibu. 

This site has been amazing to educate ourselves on what we are looking for and why.  My wife and I are on here every nite... Probably until we buy a boat!

I like the look of the G4 tower but there is a lot info on their issues.

Mikeo, that's awesome info about 2015 in particular.  We have been looking at 2014 as well but not a fan of that dash.  Not sure if it's a make or break, but it seems like 2016+ would be the way to go in a perfect world.

I'm a Chevy fan and prefer the LSA, I have read the Ford was louder as well.  I just want the biggest factory equipped power as possible, Ford or Chevy.

Anyone have experience with a 2014 23 LSV?

Thanks again🤙

Edited by 66nogo
Punctuation

Yes, I had a good friend with a 2014.  It was a great boat.  Another nuance - that was the (only?) year that Marine Power provided the LS3 and it had issues, although my friends never experienced any to my knowledge.  

Yes, the next year always has something better most of the time, but I never was in his boat looking at the dash design thinking “man, this thing sucks”.  We were still out having a great time. 

Is there a reason you are looking in those year ranges and exclude the 2018+?  Knowing a budget, we may also be able to steer you towards some options.  

Do you boat at elevation and need the LSA?  

2018 is great as well.  They start getting significantly more expensive the newer,and lower the hours.  I assume if I could find a 2018 with the LSA It might be out of my price range.

We boat on the Colorado river, I just want the extra power and speed that come with the LSA.

17 hours ago, 66nogo said:

Thanks to everyone for the replies! 

There is a lot of info here I wasn't aware of; an awesome resource for owners and would be's.. so I've come to the right place!  We have owned quite a few boats, just not a Malibu. 

This site has been amazing to educate ourselves on what we are looking for and why.  My wife and I are on here every nite... Probably until we buy a boat!

I like the look of the G4 tower but there is a lot info on their issues.

Mikeo, that's awesome info about 2015 in particular.  We have been looking at 2014 as well but not a fan of that dash.  Not sure if it's a make or break, but it seems like 2016+ would be the way to go in a perfect world.

I'm a Chevy fan and prefer the LSA, I have read the Ford was louder as well.  I just want the biggest factory equipped power as possible, Ford or Chevy.

Anyone have experience with a 2014 23 LSV?

Thanks again🤙

I had a 2014 23lsv for three years before I upgraded to the 2017 25lsv.
Mine came with the monsoon 350 motor. I had the dealer put a 2315 Acme prop on it when we purchased it and he told me I was crazy. Inside of six months I had already moved on to the Acme 2419. The 350 needs an aggressive prop to push weight

The boat performance was great. I ran sumo 900 pound plug and play in the rear and plumbed in a reversible pump to fill a sumo 650 triangle bag in the bow

These were the early years of surfgate boats, so we were throwing all the weight we could into the boat for a bigger wave. I never had problems with the dash or the electronics just a throttle replacement . 

The thing that would put me off a 2014 model year at this point would be the age of the boat and the availability of replacement screens or electronics if one was to go bad. 

IMG_9804.png

IMG_9805.png

IMG_3087-ANIMATION_Original.gif

• Like 1

My 1st boat was a 2014 23lsv.  Those 1st gen electronics were definitely something that I wasn't proud to show people - there was significant pixeling of the top display and the 7inch was showing at least 1/2' of delamination  all the way around it.  That said, I never had any issues with the screens on that boat.  We replaced it with a 2015 that had a perfect set of screens on it - only to replace that boats 7" screen about 60 hours into ownership with only a tiny visible delam showing.  Even having had to spend $3500 on a new screen, I highly prefer the 2015+ screens and programming to the earlier version.  Both my 2015 and 2014 have L96 GM 409ss motors.  I honestly think its a great motor and will be a lot easier to find vs the rare LS3 23lsv's.  With the right prop you can easily push to 40+mph, or prop for torque and surf wave tuning.  FWIW I found that the 2014 surf wave was 10% bigger - I have not been able to produce it with my 2015 and I wonder if it has to do with power wedge 2 (2015) vs power wedge 1 (2014) or maybe there were some subtle hull changes.  

That's all great info, thank you.  It seems at some point your replacing the 7" screen, at least once.  Who knows how much longer those are available for purchase @ $4k a pop.

There are plenty of available boats with Monsoon power that's for sure.  You sure get a lot of nice upgrades going to 2015+.  

It seems like the pricing is really close with the 2018's, so we are looking into them as well.  It seems most came with the 410.  I know the 450 was an expensive upgrade, it appears more rare the newer they get. Idk. More bells and whistles with the newer models tho!🤙

@66nogo you started this thread with a very specific make/model/year range...not sure how you settled on that, but i'm inferring a budget of around $100k. 

No idea your priorities/preferences, but for that price, you can get a 1-2yr old Axis (A22, T23, T220, maybe even an A24).  The flow-down of technology and hull improvements over the ~6 yrs probably means similar features and likely a better wave. A few less bells/whistles, but you may be surprised...just a thought...

13 hours ago, 66nogo said:

It seems like the pricing is really close with the 2018's, so we are looking into them as well.  It seems most came with the 410.  I know the 450 was an expensive upgrade, it appears more rare the newer they get. 

The only difference between the 410 and 450 was a tune and it was an $8k option. Which is why people usually ordered the 410 or went straight to the supercharged option.