Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Non Oxy fuel vs oxygenated

samahickman

I always run non-oxy fuel in the VLX but am wondering if I’m wasting money since we’re using the boat constantly? Since we’re going through 20gal a week and the boat isn’t really sitting around, should I really be using non-oxy or am I throwing money away?

also, any good gas can solutions out there? I’m hauling a lot of 6gal tanks…

Yes, you are wasting your money.  Modern E10 - at least the stuff we get locally can sit for 6 months at a time.  It's all I use in my boats and bikes.

Only real issue that I still see with E10 is that if you have been running E0 for a long time you can sometimes clog a fuel filter when you switch since the E10 cleans out the fuel system - fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our club 2014 SN 200 went over 4,000 hrs, mostly trouble free on E10 fuel before upgrading to a 6 liter- anyone need a well broken in motor; the 5.7 is for sale!

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Maas said:

My understanding is that E10 fuel causes lots of problems in boats

Such as?   

• Haha 1
ahopkins22LSV
32 minutes ago, Maas said:

This is true on older boats with metal gas tanks and other parts not designed for E10 fuel. The engines in newer boats, like 2010-12+ are all designed around the use of E10. I have put thousands of hours on engines ranging from 1998 Moomba with a carbed Indmar to the M series engine all running E10. Never any issues. The m series engines are the same GM engines that go in their trucks.

• Thanks 1

All of the gas sold in the counties along Lake Michigan in SE Wisconsin are required to have 10% ethanol added. Therefore, I don't have a choice to run pure gas unless I go way out of the way to get it. We've had no fuel-related issues with the boat in 12 years and approximately 450 engine hours of use. I think it's safe to use E10 in your boat.

• Thanks 1
OrondoWakeFoil

If you are worried about E10 fuel, I believe Malibu does recommend that you mix Stabil Marine 360 in with the fuel.  Not sure if that ends up negating your savings by switching to E10, though, because Stabil isn't super-cheap.  Anecdotally, I had an M235 for 5 years running E10 and over 500 engine hours and never saw any fuel-related issues.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Maas said:

Only poorly maintained boats.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was not stating a fact, more that it's what i've always heard, my boat takes premium and all of the premium here is Ethanol free.

I have just read in the past that there were problems with E10 gas, no real basis in my experience for it

3 hours ago, Maas said:

and all of the premium here is Ethanol free.

Must be nice, but what does it cost?   

Last 2 years I ran eth free marina premium. The price diff over gas station reg was only a dollar or so. So it seemed "cheap" to run the marina gas. Gas is cheaper now so the delta might be greater. 

• Thanks 1
On 6/23/2023 at 2:23 PM, dizzygti said:

Must be nice, but what does it cost?   

You can get e0 premium here at some gas stations( for boats, mc, collector cars).  Costs .80 -1.00 a gallon extra over the normal e10 premium.  The tank in the boat is 38 gallons.  No thanks.

I'm in Canada so our gas is different, all premium gas up here is Ethanol free well 91 octane +

Cost? right now we're about $1.70 a Liter, which in your foolish weirdo measurements is $6.43 CAD per US Gallon or $4.87 USD per US Gallon

Now this post will age well, hahaha

1 hour ago, Maas said:

I'm in Canada so our gas is different, all premium gas up here is Ethanol free well 91 octane +

Cost? right now we're about $1.70 a Liter, which in your foolish weirdo measurements is $6.43 CAD per US Gallon or $4.87 USD per US Gallon

Now this post will age well, hahaha

Not sure which part of Canada you’re in but out west chevron 94 is one of the only premiums with no ethanol. Even shell 91 has it now. Unless it says ethanol free on the pump assume it has some. But with that in mind it will do no harm.

23 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Not sure which part of Canada you’re in but out west chevron 94 is one of the only premiums with no ethanol. Even shell 91 has it now. Unless it says ethanol free on the pump assume it has some. But with that in mind it will do no harm.

I'm in Ontario, Esso, Costco, Petro Canada, Ultramar all 91+ have no ethanol

• Thanks 1
On 6/24/2023 at 6:18 PM, oldjeep said:

You can get e0 premium here at some gas stations( for boats, mc, collector cars).  Costs .80 -1.00 a gallon extra over the normal e10 premium.  The tank in the boat is 38 gallons.  No thanks.

Yeah, the tank in my boat is 94 gallons, no thanks indeed!