Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty Q&A

Pm22

If I took my boat in for warranty because PW2 was not working (wedge was stuck at 3 and check wedge calibration error on screen) but somehow it “worked” at service to get it to stow, the dealer said can’t make a claim to Malibu because they couldn’t find a problem. They charge me an hour of labor. They say if problem happens again we will get you in right away though.

Well…. finally a day out on water last week and Wedge completely unresponsive and same error comes up on screen. Take pictures and videos and Boat goes back to dealer. To my “surprise” the dealer calls and says actuator failed and needs replaced. Great news it’s covered under warranty, bad news is its backorder. 

Besides the obvious we could have dealt with this a month ago, my question is shouldn’t the dealer refund or credit me back for the labor they charged the first time since they found the issue I brought it there in first place?  

18 minutes ago, Pm22 said:

If I took my boat in for warranty because PW2 was not working (wedge was stuck at 3 and check wedge calibration error on screen) but somehow it “worked” at service to get it to stow, the dealer said can’t make a claim to Malibu because they couldn’t find a problem. They charge me an hour of labor. They say if problem happens again we will get you in right away though.

Well…. finally a day out on water last week and Wedge completely unresponsive and same error comes up on screen. Take pictures and videos and Boat goes back to dealer. To my “surprise” the dealer calls and says actuator failed and needs replaced. Great news it’s covered under warranty, bad news is its backorder. 

Besides the obvious we could have dealt with this a month ago, my question is shouldn’t the dealer refund or credit me back for the labor they charged the first time since they found the issue I brought it there in first place?  

I don't know... I see it from both sides. I mean, they did get it to work the first time, so I agree, they can't submit a warranty claim and the tech needs to be paid by someone. So in their mind, the issue is resolved. Then you take it out... and it doesn't work...and bring it back and they now find the real issue.

The right thing, in my mind, is for them to credit you back... I'd ask about it when you take it back to get the new part installed. Not sure I'd raise too much cane over a few hundred bucks though after folks on here saying how important the dealer relationship is. Just drink a few extra cups of the free coffee they have there to make up the difference... :beer:

2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

The right thing, in my mind, is for them to credit you back... I'd ask about it when you take it back to get the new part installed. Not sure I'd raise too much cane over a few hundred bucks though after folks on here saying how important the dealer relationship is. Just drink a few extra cups of the free coffee they have there to make up the difference... :beer:

The dealer relationship goes both ways. A good dealer would have never charged for an hour of labor in the first place. 

• Like 2