Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying used truck

williemon

All I can say is geezzzz!!!!

budget says 8000, reality says 25,000 but pocket says 15000.  Price range is bringing up trucks in the 200k miles range. Fords seem to want to be fixed or repaired daily at this mileage. Not sure about Chevy yet. That’s for the gassers. Diesel can go much longer but they show that they have been ridden hard, otherwise they are expensive too. Who all has taken a ford or Chevy gasser into the 250000 miles range and what repairs were needed to get it done? Thinking about going with 3/4 ton either gas or diesel just to get a strong engine and transmission. Thoughts? Thanks. 

also remember with a diesel ... items like suspension, hubs, bushings, bearings, electrical.... those don't care what kind of fuel the engine burns and they will wear out just as fast on a diesel as a gasser.  

[proud FORMER owner of 2001 Excursion 7.3]

For 8k, I would be looking at a 1/2 ton Gen 3 dodge Ram with a hemi. Should be able to get one with around 100-125k.  Reliable as a hammer in terms of the drivetrain.  The suspension will likely need work.

Edited by oldjeep
On 6/17/2023 at 7:49 AM, oldjeep said:

For 8k, I would be looking at a 1/2 ton Gen 3 dodge Ram with a hemi. Should be able to get one with around 100-125k.  Reliable as a hammer in terms of the drivetrain.  The suspension will likely need work.

Once upon a time I owned a gen 3 ram with a hemi in 125k mileage range. That thing absolutely nickel and dimed me to death and the engine was starting to burn coolant, suspension completely rusted together. But yeah, drivetrain, can't complain too much. Unless you feel like complaining about the MPG compared to other trucks.

Edited by Jhucke
2 hours ago, Jhucke said:

Once upon a time I owned a gen 3 ram with a hemi in 125k mileage range. That thing absolutely nickel and dimed me to death and the engine was starting to burn coolant, suspension completely rusted together. But yeah, drivetrain, can't complain too much. Unless you feel like complaining about the MPG compared to other trucks.

My last one (2009) had 175K on it when I got rid of it.  After sitting in the driveway for 9 years in MN, when it came time to replace the suspension parts I decided it was easier to buy another truck.  Other than that the only issues I ever had with it were the exhaust manifold bolts that were replaced a few times under recall/warranty and a right side tierod end that kept wearing out until I stopped letting them replace it and put a Moog in.  Other than that it was bulletproof.

Current 2018 Gen 3 has 70K on it and no issues of any kind yet.  Hasn't been at a dealer since the day I bought it, just the oil change place.

Edited by oldjeep

Personally I would lean towards a GM with a 5.3. The 4l60's aren't as stout as the motors but it's a very solid combination.

The Ford 5.4 with a 4r100 is solid but I was a little let down with the power output vs my 5.3. 

I normally get my trucks when they are a tad over 100k and run them to 200-250k. 

Expect some steering / suspension repairs along with interior updates.  

We have an 04 yukon 1500 since new AKA Battleaxe. 5.3. Did replace the tranny 500m past warranty. The tranny shop owner is a racer and told me he builds them back better than stock to make sure he doesn't have any of his warranty callbacks. We have 245xxx on ours. Gas mileage is poor with 13 lifetime. Seems like I'm always working on it..little things. But now I have to replace balljts and tierod ends. Will prolly replace the control arm bushings since I'm there. I do have a shop and a lift so it's not too bad and I do enjoy working on vehicles, but if I didn't do the work myself I would have gotten rid of it long ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Use is daily driving and towing my 01 ssvlx to local lakes. Also towing the occasional project car.

i finally found a 2015 Silverado double cab with 5.3 and 120k on the odometer. Looks really good and drives well. In process of purchase now. 

12 hours ago, williemon said:

Use is daily driving and towing my 01 ssvlx to local lakes. Also towing the occasional project car.

i finally found a 2015 Silverado double cab with 5.3 and 120k on the odometer. Looks really good and drives well. In process of purchase now. 

My dad had a 2014 and I had a 2016 5.3L and they were both absolutely great.  Your new one will be more like his was, with the 6 speed.  Reliable, plenty of power for the VLX.  Great choice.