Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who Really Makes Malibu Trailers? I need new bearings

Topherbd16

I have a 2018 'Malibu' trailer that holds my Axis A24.  Bearings are getting loose after a few trips between OH and TN.  I can't find any 'Malibu trailer parts' online.  But Boatmate Trailers look awfully familiar.

Also, when looking at the hubs w/ wheels off, how can I tell what size bearings I need?  For example, a 2.32" vault cap is used for 4200#, 5200# & 5500# bearings.

my 2015 is on a boatmate.  They are very helpful if you give them a call.  They even comp'd me a free complete front hitch unit 3 years after my warranty had expired.  If they didnt make the trailer they probably use similar parts and can get you squared away. 

Boat mate didn't make their axles and I highly doubt that Malibu makes there's either.  They are likely just UFP or Dexter.

Honestly it would take 15 minutes to pull a wheel and hub.  Might as well just pull the bearings and look at the part numbers on them.

ahopkins22LSV
30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Boat mate didn't make their axles and I highly doubt that Malibu makes there's either.  They are likely just UFP or Dexter.

Honestly it would take 15 minutes to pull a wheel and hub.  Might as well just pull the bearings and look at the part numbers on them.

This. They are Malibu made trailers but I would bet a very nice six pack that they source the axles and hubs. 

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Makes sense.  I’ll do just that.  Just interesting there is nothing online for Malibu trailer parts.  
I mentioned Boatmate because when you option it out it looks exactly like my trailer.  LED lights, wheels, etc are dead on.

But looking at UFP bearings online I believe this is what I have.  Just need to get the part numbers and get a little greasy.

If the bearings are simply loose, you may not need parts at all.  Jack up each side and see if the wheel rolls without any gritty feel.  If so, you may just need to tighten up the preload a bit.

4 hours ago, Topherbd16 said:

I mentioned Boatmate because when you option it out it looks exactly like my trailer.  LED lights, wheels, etc are dead on.

Since 2016 model year, Malibu makes their own trailers on site. Pics below taken inside their trailer shop. 

No idea where they source their axles. But a quick phone call probably gets you an answer… 

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

• Like 2

Here is my Malibu trailer.  After several trips to the dealer over the last two years the brakes have finally been fixed. Both axles being replaced was the fix. No idea who makes the axles, but the originals were garbage. They’d smoke like this down most hills and always into our local lake. Bad caliper seals and that would fling brake fluid onto the hot rotors. 

IMG_8984.jpeg

Edited by dwc032

Malibu uses UFP by Dexter axles.  The HIN decal on the trailer frame shows the axle capacity and each axle has a plate welded to the underside with an ID serial number.

Edited by csleaver

Well, they are Dexter and Malibu was 0 help.  “Take it to a dealer” instead of giving me part numbers.

I found one torsion axle forged arm is loose to the splines of the receiving torsion arm.  Tried to tighten the bolt and nut.  They won’t tighten anymore with my neighbor and I cranking on bolt and nut.  

so it’s not a bearing issue… but a more expensive one.  LOL