Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T235 ZERO push….

555nova

We got the new t235 out for the first time today and the wave looked big and pretty clean but was tall with zero push. We only had 3 adults and 2 little kids in the boat. Wakemakers PNP 865lb rear and 440lb front. Had best results with wedge stowed but tried positions 1 through 3. Speed was 10.2-11.5 didn’t notice a big difference.

Wave got a little longer with everyone moved to the bow but still barely surf-able. Do I need to dump rear weight? Add front weight? Try different settings?

I had the same thing on our new A24, I put 200 lbs of lead in the bow and 300 lbs under the observer seat as far forward as possible. It made a huge difference in the push

On 6/11/2023 at 8:45 PM, csleaver said:

It sounds like you have too much rear weight or too much drag from the wedge. 

This.  865 plus the hard tanks is way to much, you are burying the surf gate.  Wedge should be in lift or 1-2. I had just the wife and the two kids on my 23 MXZ and I can surf all day has a ton of push. Yes I know different boats, but just making a point. 

Lead is the dumbest thing on a modern surf boat, it’s all about settings. I can’t imagine towing and extra 500-800 pounds of weight on my trailer.  Get the settings right and know matter how little of people you have on your boat it will surf just fine. 

Edited by dwc032
  • Like 3

@555nova, I agree with @dwc032 that you should be able to create a surfable wave without adding lead. If you are looking to add even more size to make a monster wave, that's a different story. However, the stock wave should be more than "surfable". Also, though you didn’t explicitly state it, I am assuming you are trying to dial in your regular side wave.

I have only been able to do about 30mins of actual surfing so far on our T235 but I was very happy with the wave (plenty of push) and haven't spent any time dialing the wave in to max out the potential. Our setup for that regular side surf session was 11.0mph, all water ballast full, no wedge, me in the captain's seat and 3 other adults all on the port side bench (one rear corner, one mid bench and one in observer’s seat). I had 550lb PNP rear bags that day but have since swapped out for 750lb bags to give me more surf wave adjustability and also for the wakeboard wake (for wakeboarding this boat does prefer rear weight).

As someone said in your other thread, you don’t have to list significantly on a gated boat but you do have to make sure you aren't submerging the gate completely and you will need some weight on port side to counteract the prop roll and your weight in the captain’s seat. You can do this with people like I did that day or by dumping some of your starboard ballast. When I get back out with the 750lb bags I will let you know what I find but I imagine it will look something like 50-75% full starboard and 100% full port since our normal crew is only my wife and I in the boat with surfer in tow. The 200lbs of added port rear ballast over the 550’s should be close to what I had in two additional people previously and running 75% on the starboard rear PNP will get me back to the 550 I had when I was full with the previous bag. From there, you can add some wedge especially if you have some folks in the bow and even try lift mode for length over steepness.

All this said, there may also be a better combination you find with high wedge settings and dumping rear ballast since they are both adding rear weight but have slightly different effects. This is where you can spend some time really dialing things in but you can start with the basics above and then go from there.

• Like 1

Try with all ballast and no wedge and see how it is.  When we upgraded to larger bags in our last boat it surfed better with no wedge.  Also  what is your experience level surfing and what board are you using?

Our best setting were all ballast full no wedge and 11mph.  It got a little better when the two adults on board moved to the bow. We were trying both reg and goofy.

We rented a 2022 23lsv for a week last summer so we are familiar with how to surf surf gate/wedge boats and the ease of that surf wave is why we got a new boat. Most of my surf experience is on an old direct drive air Nautique for the last 10 years but I was able to get that boat to have a nice surfable wave… that why I was so disappointed lol.

We were surfing on a Hyperlite broadcast and Phase 5 swell.

Edited by 555nova

Don't go for lead just yet.  I think you're too heavy in the rear as the newer boats don't need 900lbs in the back.  I have a T220 with 550s in rear and still have 200lbs of lead in front + bow sack to even it out.  Try just filling rear hard tanks 100%, mid and front 100% and fill rear sacks to half.  Set wedge at 2 and I bet it's a great long wave.  If you want taller then increase the wedge a notch or two.  

• Like 1
On 6/13/2023 at 9:26 PM, 555nova said:

... We were surfing on a Hyperlite broadcast and Phase 5 swell.

We've had both of these boards and didn't like either of them. The Broadcast was too slow and you had to be in just the right spot to find the push. 

I know some like the Swell but it's my least favorite of any Phase 5 boards that I have had. Seemed slow and sluggish. 

Phase 5 Model X, Diamond and Ahi are what we have now. The Model X would be a good one to start with. 

Good luck 👍 

NorCalSurfer
56 minutes ago, Kojak said:

We've had both of these boards and didn't like either of them. The Broadcast was too slow and you had to be in just the right spot to find the push. 

I know some like the Swell but it's my least favorite of any Phase 5 boards that I have had. Seemed slow and sluggish. 

Phase 5 Model X, Diamond and Ahi are what we have now. The Model X would be a good one to start with. 

Good luck 👍 

Agreed on the Broadcast, that is an old slow board. I find its a decent board for beginners as it's easier to get up the first few times as it isn't super buoyant. 

I have a T220 and the surf wave is really good. We ride surf style and love it.  It’s super fun with push way back. The wakeboard wake is also excellent. I can’t wait to hear how the 235 is when dialed in. It has to be amazing. The 250 is insane so the middle boat must make a great wave. Good luck getting the set up right. I find the T220 is right when the swim platform is just at the water line. Maybe a hair under. If the swim platform is deep under water the wave gets super short steep and the bow is straight in air. I can tell right away by checking swim platform if set up is right. I don’t know if this will translate but T220 is all full factory hard tanks, bow bag, 100lb lead in trash can door, 100lb lead under observers seat, rear 750 plug and play full. 3 people in boat. Wedge 4, 11.3 goofy, 10.8 regular. Wedge 5 is also really fun, it’s better,  but it’s not worth working the boat that hard most of the time. 
Try to fill all full and then play with people and weight and get the swim platform just at water line or barely under water. The gates like to not be too deep. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Any luck making things better for you? A few hours in here on an T235 and didn’t take much messing around to get a pretty good wave……. definitely not professional surfers but for sure happy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a week at the lake and I got it pretty dialed on both sides. 150Lbs of lead helped but the biggest thing was listing the boat. I only filled the non surf side PNP ear ballast about 50% and the pocket filled out and generated a decent amount of push. I’m goofy and the wife is regular and we both had good sessions this morning when it was just the driver and our 7 and 8 year old girls who are about 50lbs each.

Also wedge was set at 2 or 3 and speed was 11.1 MPH.

Edited by 555nova
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a broadcast for a while and it was a good board factoring the sub $200 I paid for it. 

Upgraded to a Model X and it makes a big difference. A lot faster and more responsive. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, 555nova said:

Just got back from a week at the lake and I got it pretty dialed on both sides. 150Lbs of lead helped but the biggest thing was listing the boat. I only filled the non surf side PNP ear ballast about 50% and the pocket filled out and generated a decent amount of push. I’m goofy and the wife is regular and we both had good sessions this morning when it was just the driver and our 7 and 8 year old girls who are about 50lbs each.

Also wedge was set at 2 or 3 and speed was 11.1 MPH.

Hi nova , I may be in the market soon annd wanted to ask you how are you liking your boat ? Are you extreme happy with your wake now  ? Any other things, likes and dislikes about the boat you care to share ? Very little surf videos or reviews on the t235 so far 

Edited by smuurph84