Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why is fuel cap on port side?

PopsA22

Anyone know why the fuel cap/intake is on the port side.  Obviously these boats are so much easier to dock on the the starboard side due to prop rotation. I am just curious why Axis does this.  

I'm going to take a guess that is has something to do with where a tow vehicle normally has its fuel fill to make it easier to fuel up when the boat is on the trailer.  Malibu boats have fuel fills on both sides.

Bluefishcay

Not sure there is a reason.  My nautique was on starboard, pontoon is on port, Malibu is both.  My guess is, it’s where it easier to install.  

The gas pumps around me have hoses on both sides, so us plebians not on the water don't mind the fuel fill on the same side as my truck (two pump simultaneous purcha$e!.  

We had to open both sides on our old Sunsetter to fill it faster than just one click on the pump. If not it would overflow out the vent... But, yeah I assume the real reason is to fill from either side. My VLX has only one filler hole on the starboard side, which would be an issue for filling from the same pump on the trailer after filling my truck if my truck wasn't diesel. 

Why do you hate it on the starboard side?  Isn’t it easier to bring it to the gas dock on the starboard side?  Due to the prop rotation. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, PopsA22 said:

Anyone know why the fuel cap/intake is on the port side.  Obviously these boats are so much easier to dock on the the starboard side due to prop rotation. I am just curious why Axis does this.  

I got rid of a 23LSV, which had fuel caps on both sides, and bought an A22. Needless to say, the 1st time I pulled up to the dock to fuel on the starboard side, I was not too thrilled to find out I only had a fuel cap on the port side. I won't make that mistake again. It's so much easier to dock on the starboard side!!!

12 minutes ago, RCR47 said:

I got rid of a 23LSV, which had fuel caps on both sides, and bought an A22. Needless to say, the 1st time I pulled up to the dock to fuel on the starboard side, I was not too thrilled to find out I only had a fuel cap on the port side. I won't make that mistake again. It's so much easier to dock on the starboard side!!!

Yes, I totally agree.  When I first got my boat I considered getting a thruster to have better steering control.  But now, after a couple of years new to v-drive boating I feel like I've mastered docking and launching procedures and love the challenge.  The reality is that I'm only proficient and always plan for starboard side landings.