Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flywheel replacement for 1994 Merc 350 Magnum skier

I need to replace ring gear on a 1994 Merc Mag direct drive for Echelon. Can I remove transmission from engine without pulling the engine from the boat?

it's been a decade or so and i can't remember all of it but the gist is to:

block under transmission, remove rear trans mount, loosen front engine mount enough so engine can rotate on that mount.

remove or relocate harness, fuel, etc that will impede lifting the rear of engine + transmission then strap the tailstock of transmission and lift.

block engine and remove transmission.

clean out screen at bottom of transmission and replace trans oil while it's out of the rig.

it's an 8 hour job for one person but a second set of hands would be helpful in passing the trans out of the boat.

just keep telling yourself "it's supposed to be fun".  

You can, although it may not be much more effort to pull the whole unit and do some additional maintenance / bilge clean up, etc.  Full powertrain R&R is not that difficult, you will want / need a cherry picker or engine puller of some sort.  A search on this site will reveal some engine pull threads if you want additional info ( @Michigan boarder)

• Like 1