Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Going to have to do it - what is the best 30-32 ski?

oldjeep

After last years incident at tough mudder and the resulting damage - going to get rid of the Vapor and swap back down to something that I can ski at a lower speed.  Initial thought is to move to a Senate - still have one that my kids use but I want to swap my 1/2 boot onto the back and they don't like it.  So, is the Senate still the "best" course capable ski in the 30-32 mph range or is there something else to buy.  Unfortunately it is a buy and try type of decision.  Not really any places to demo around here.

Edited by oldjeep

Senate is still one of the best. Possibly the best but that'd depend on who you talk to!

FYI I've got Senate pro. Love it!!!

• Like 2

Another vote for a Senate, love mine.  Unless you have been on something else that you absolutely loved, it accommodates most everyone.

If you're a Radar person, probably just stick with the Senate and maybe size up a hair if you're skiing down at 30/32.  You might also consider some of the HO stuff like an Omni (Carbon or Syndicate) or the Omega Max (carbon or syndicate).  The Omni skis really well into those speeds and seems less tiring than other skis I've run.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

You mean this is my ski tiring me out?  Dang, I gotta upgrade too!

@oldjeep - What length is your Vapor?

For you, hard to say :whistle:.  For my out of shape butt, the Omni riding a little higher, and being pretty fast across the wakes has me putting a bit less effort in, and lets me ski farther.  And since 99% of mine is free-skiing out the back door, it makes a difference.  I also came off riding Connelly for a lot of years which ride noticeably deeper than most other brands.

I have been on an HO CX Superlite since 2017, precedes the Omni line; very easy ski on the body. I have done most of my sets at 30 the past 1-2 yrs before hip replacement; used to routinely run 32/15's and have done a few 34's a few years ago. 

i am ging to try the Denali C85 this weekend - got one on closeout in January week after my hip replacement. I will let you know how it compares.  It's nice to ski again pain free; if you are contemplating THR I am VERY happy with mine.

Red

There is nothing wrong with a Senate if you want to go that route.  But you can also size up on the Vapor as well.  My boy runs from 28 mph into 36 mph and starts cutting.  The Vapor works fine at slower speeds as long as its big enough.  

12 hours ago, TomH said:

I also came off riding Connelly for a lot of years which ride noticeably deeper than most other brands.

Heh Heh.  My primary ski is still a mid-late-1980's 65" Connelly Shortline II.  I refitted it about five years ago with Vapor boots.

• 2 months later...