Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Taking on water

Purchased a 2008 23 LSV last fall.  Ran it on the lake and had it inspected, no issues.  Winterized last fall.  Been in the barn all winter.  When putting it in off the trailer the bilge pump came on in about 30 seconds.  Pulled it out, pulled the plug and probably 20 gallons of water comes out.  Tightened the plug just to make sure, tried it again and same thing.  Guessing that marina hadn't gotten all the water out and something froze and is now allowing water on come on board.  Where is the first place to look, or if something else more likely let me know.  Has front and 2 rear ballast tanks.

Thanks

I would check the shaft seal and make sure it is not letting water in.  Just back the boat in on the trailer and then immediately go look and see where the water is coming in.  Have the rear lockers open and divider panel out to give yourself a good view.  Have a flashlight ready and jump in and see.  With that much water it should show you quickly where the problem is.  If you don't see water, then start the engine and do the same thing.  It could be a hose that came off or they left off.  I have seen that before.  I have also seen where in the winterization process they do not get all the water out.  I would not panic yet as it could be something simple like mentioned.

appreciate the feedback.  Got in late tonight, so didn't have time to trouble shoot.  I thought the same thing about being alot of water that quickly.  Definitely no water in rear lockers, like I said didn't have time to check much else.  Thanks

I started the engine both times, in retrospect should have let it sit with engine off.  Will have more time tomorrow.

Thie first thing I would check are all of the engine winterization drain plugs. It is common for one to be missed when reinstalling them. 

I haven’t had a 2008, does it also have a center drain plug? The reason I ask is because it sounds like you were only focused on one plug, which I assume was the rear/transom plug. All of my Malibus have also had one in the middle by the driver’s seat.  There is usually a small hatch under the carpet. 

Edited by BLSousa
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, BLSousa said:

Thie first thing I would check are all of the engine winterization drain plugs. It is common for one to be missed when reinstalling them. 

I haven’t had a 2008, does it also have a center drain plug? The reason I ask is because it sounds like you were only focused on one plug, which I assume was the rear/transom plug. All of my Malibus have also had one in the middle by the driver’s seat.  There is usually a small hatch under the carpet. 

I believe there are 3 drain plugs. One in the center hatch by the driver, one in the engine compartment down by the v-drive, and the transom plug under the wedge.

6 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

I believe there are 3 drain plugs. One in the center hatch by the driver, one in the engine compartment down by the v-drive, and the transom plug under the wedge.

you are correct for the 08, there are 3 drain plugs and I'm guessing the one in the middle locker was left out to get that much water in a short time.  Usually the 2nd drain on the port side sitting directly under the port exhaust manifold in the bilge floor is for draining oil, I would imagine that was left in place.

• Like 1

Does your engine have the exhaust manifold cross-over hose for draining? Yes, water comes out that hose quickly if it was not re-coupled after last fall's draining. That one baffled me once, taking two launches and draining's to solve. It was one of those "I'll remember to make that hose back up in the spring," moments.

• Like 2

Yup, one of the most embarassing moments of my boating career.  I've been driving I/O's for 15 years and didnt realize ski boats had a second plug in the middle of the boat.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 4

Two types of boaters - Those who have and those who will...

First launch of my first boat when I was about 23 years old.  Pulled around to the dock to tie up and wait for the driver to park the truck / trailer.  As they are walking down the dock I realize that I didn't put the plug in.  Stripped off my shirt, dove in and put the plug in.

Glad that you got it figured out.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ikucera said:

Yup, one of the most embarassing moments of my boating career.  I've been driving I/O's for 15 years and didnt realize ski boats had a second plug in the middle of the boat.  Thanks for the help.

I have a process where every removed plug goes in the cupholder by the driver.  As long as I follow the process, the empty cupholder means all the plugs are in place. 

2 hours ago, RebesMalibu said:

I have a process where every removed plug goes in the cupholder by the driver.  As long as I follow the process, the empty cupholder means all the plugs are in place. 

I remove the driver seat cushion and put the plugs, manifold anodes, and wrench in the seat pan.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, ikucera said:

I have launched my 54-year-old Winner hundreds of times without the plug installed. I used to wash, drain and flush after every (nearly daily) use when I lived near salt water. I would leave the transom plug out to let any last drops out, right up to launch time. Cooler placement was more important at the ramp back in those days.

We only remove the centre Tee handle bung and I've added a small rope loop so it hangs on the steering wheel. Impossible to miss seeing that!