Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying used boat

MTKA

I would love some feedback on buying a used axis. What is the best way to about ensuring that everything works as it should. Should I go through a marine survey professional?

Edited by MTKA

Firstly you need to remember that if you have time to boat, then you have a ton of time to inspect the boat you’re interested in. So take your time and enjoy the whole process. 

Secondly I would recommend setting up a meeting at a ramp and allowing a few hours at the least for you and the seller. I would let the seller know that you plan to bring your family/crew that will be spending the most time with you along. Have everyone look over EVERYTHING top to bottom, front to back, inside and out. Don’t forget the trailer. Have everyone take pictures and ask questions. Being sure to try and record the Q&A’s. 

Third would be the lake test. Get it in the water. Perform some low speed maneuvers with the stereo off,  being sure to listen for odd noises, or any vibrations. If all is well move on to cruising and high speed maneuvers. Keep an eye on the gauges throughout the water test. 

At this point if everything looks, sounds, and feels good then I’d fill the ballast, deploy the wedge, and deploy the surf gates (if equipped). Perform tests in a manner that simulates the sports that you will ultimately be enjoying. Or just play for a while!😏 Which would put a load on the boat that can’t otherwise be simulated.

After the water test is completed, and before reloading the boat onto the trailer is a good time to look over the trailer. Make sure to disconnect and reconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle. This is an area that can easily be overlooked. 

Now that the inspection is complete and the boat is back on the trailer, I would suggest that you and your family/crew compare notes photos and thoughts before completing a deal. 

Good Luck! Let us all know how it goes. 

• Like 1

My .02.  It is all going to depend on your seller.  If I were selling you a boat, the test ride is the last thing that happens and there is already a deal in place.  A test ride is not a multiple hour family outing - leave your kids and dog at home.

In terms of inspecting the boat.  If you are not knowledgeable about boats, bring a friend who is.  If you are worried beyond that, see if you can arrange an inspection by the dealer at your cost with minimal work by the seller. (Who will still need the boat available to show the next real buyer or tire kicker).  Know that it is damn near impossible to get an appointment for that type of inspection quickly.

Edited by oldjeep

i like both suggestions above...and concur with @oldjeep that as a seller wouldn't agree to a free lake day unless a deal was imminent.  Middleground idea: maybe offer a non-refundable deposit of like $300 if you want that lake day as a kick-the-tires event - if you buy the boat, its a credit towards purchase; if not, the seller is compensated for the trouble?  get creative, won't know unless you ask.

when you (eventually) do get on the water, which is a requirement in my mind, highly recommend you do as much captaining of the boat as you can (a) to learn what the switches do, and (b) to feel the nuances that a seller may be consciously or subconsciously compensating for (e.g. steering that pulls one way, buttons that stick / need multiple presses to do something, ballasts that fill at dramatically different speeds, etc). 

Not sure your boating background, but if at all possible, try to crawl around and drive a few sizes & brands of boat as v-drives handle differently than outboards, and sizes/models can give a much different feel once you are in them in person.

Since you are from MN and there is only one non dealer Axis on CL.

If it is the t23, make sure to inspect hull for blisters.  It has a pretty good waterline on it in the pictures, which indicates that it sat in the water and the dash plastic/steering wheel either looks faded or dirty.

When shopping - if a boat looks dirty in pictures, it is really dirty.  Pictures tend to hide a lot of things that you need to look for in person.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Joshuntnd said:

I would let the seller know that you plan to bring your family/crew that will be spending the most time with you along.

I would not bring anyone under about 16 to any big purchase event.  A boat full of screaming cretins while you are trying to carefully listen to the engine and feel the response of the boat is not a good way to get this done.  In fact, I really see no value in bringing the kids at all.  It's OK if the kids get to see the boat for the first time when you tow it home.

A water test is strictly business, not a fun day out.  You wanna ski, fine.  Suit up and I'll give you a pull.  You wanna surf, make it quick.  This isn't the time for you to impress me with all of your moves.

But I do agree, the process can be enjoyable.

• Like 3

I personally can’t imagine taking a large group out as either the seller or perspective buyer. 

Every market and every seller is different. How hot is the market currently?  Because the more you ask of the seller, the more he is going to lean towards other buyers. 

If you aren’t familiar with boats, it would probably be a good idea to pay someone who is to do the inspection when you’re close to pulling the trigger. Either a survey or a PDI by a local dealership. 

Before you step out the door headed to view a boat, do some research and watch / read through various articles / videos (from credible sources) on what to look for, what to inspect, etc.  As noted, remove all distractions so you can solely focus on the boat and most importantly, leave your emotions at home.  It's probably best to check out several other boats before you look at one you feel really attracted to (your emotions will mask being objective) as the first few you look at you will be really excited and ready to pull the trigger.  That is normal.  If there is any inkling that something is not okay, it isn't and strongly consider passing.  Good luck and have fun.

We sold our Wakesetter and bought a newer Axis back in Feb. We did the initial walk thru first, head to toe inspection. The next weekend I setup for my local boat mechanic to do a diagnostic check and more thorough inspection. Once that was done, we dumped the boat in and did a quick test drive to insure that gauges, pumps, and surf gates all worked. It's a pretty time consuming process, but well worth it for the investment you're going to make. Good luck!!

lift up the ballast sacs and look underneath, that will tell you everything you need to know. even if they tried to clean the mess you will see how dirty it was

Personally I would highly recommend a used boat inspection by a Malibu dealer.  At an absolute minimum you should have a compression test done.  This spring I negotiated with a seller contingent on the used boat inspection results.   Given there was value to seller even if I elected not to buy the boat, we agreed to split the cost of used boat inspection (about $350 each).   It was well worth the money as it turns out there was over $800 in services due (oil, trans fluid, impeller, etc. that some can and will do on their own) but most importantly over $10,000 in other repairs (cushions, fiberglass repairs to strut pad spider cracks, damaged chines, visible "dings", trailer repairs, etc.)  Obviously I would look at the report objectively given the year of the boat and purchase price to determine what repairs are needed vs nice to have.   Bottom line was the inspection provided me with enough data to feel like I was making an informed decision.   

10 minutes ago, I12Surf said:

Personally I would highly recommend a used boat inspection by a Malibu dealer.  At an absolute minimum you should have a compression test done.  This spring I negotiated with a seller contingent on the used boat inspection results.   Given there was value to seller even if I elected not to buy the boat, we agreed to split the cost of used boat inspection (about $350 each).   It was well worth the money as it turns out there was over $800 in services due (oil, trans fluid, impeller, etc. that some can and will do on their own) but most importantly over $10,000 in other repairs (cushions, fiberglass repairs to strut pad spider cracks, damaged chines, visible "dings", trailer repairs, etc.)  Obviously I would look at the report objectively given the year of the boat and purchase price to determine what repairs are needed vs nice to have.   Bottom line was the inspection provided me with enough data to feel like I was making an informed decision.   

Umm, not sure where to start on this one.  $800 for normal annual maintenance - wow.  But I guess if you pay people to do things, less than $100 worth of supplies can turn into $800 I guess.

Out of curiosity, what did it cost for the inspection and how quick were you able to get it done?  (Edit - I see that it was $700 - so roughly 5 hours of dealer time?)

Edited by oldjeep
7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Umm, not sure where to start on this one.  $800 for normal annual maintenance - wow.  But I guess if you pay people to do things, less than $100 worth of supplies can turn into $800 I guess.

Out of curiosity, what did it cost for the inspection and how quick were you able to get it done?

The boat Inspection was around $700 - It was earlier in the spring so it was turned around in about a week. 

I just looked at estimate and the 150 hour service was due - so not normal annual maintenance - my bad.

- Impeller $167

- 150 hour service  $480

- Parts for 150 hour service $220

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

roughly 5 hours of dealer time

Hey, it takes a long time to dream up $10,000 worth of repairs they would like for you to do at their shop!  :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Check and replace tires and redo hubs that are old if you will have to tow it home any distance. Would be bad if 45 minutes into a 3 hour tow that a tire would blow or a hub were to weld itself together. 

Edited by williemon