Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine alarm making me crazy 03 VLX

BillyChinookVLX

The under dash engine alarm on my 03 vlx started going off on the first trip out this year. At idle and revving in neutral, nothing. As soon as it ran under load for about a minute it would start beeping and not reset until I shut the motor off and restarted. Then the same thing.

I had similar symptoms last spring when my oil pressure switch went bad. I doubt it’s bad again but I replaced it anyway without any progress on the issue. In my mind the only things tied to the alarm would be oil pressure, water temp, low/high voltage, depth alarm, and maybe a V drive or transmission temp sensor? All my gauges are good and reading in the appropriate ranges. Any ideas on what I’m missing here?

I didn’t have any messages on my digital readout in the speedo either. 

After verifying I had none of those same issues I ended up snipping the connection to the alarm. Several years ago. Mine ended up starting just like yours. When changing oil filter I broke the T-fitting thing. Replaced it and switch and sender. Never went away after that.

Steve B.

just want to add, after this event I put an analog oil pressure gauge on the switch side of the T, and oil pressure was perfect. Temps perfect. Voltages perfect. Runs like a top.

Edited by Steve B.
added thought
27 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Check your knock sensor.  What is the beep sequence?

Constant beeping, no pattern that I have been able to identify. 

10 hours ago, BillyChinookVLX said:

The under dash engine alarm on my 03 vlx started going off on the first trip out this year. At idle and revving in neutral, nothing. As soon as it ran under load for about a minute it would start beeping and not reset until I shut the motor off and restarted. Then the same thing.

I had similar symptoms last spring when my oil pressure switch went bad. I doubt it’s bad again but I replaced it anyway without any progress on the issue. In my mind the only things tied to the alarm would be oil pressure, water temp, low/high voltage, depth alarm, and maybe a V drive or transmission temp sensor? All my gauges are good and reading in the appropriate ranges. Any ideas on what I’m missing here?

My 05 did the same exact thing today. Beeping and check engine flashed on the speedo. All gauges looked fine and it ran great. Oil sender was my first guess too maybe since I changed oil yesterday. Hopefully we both can figure it out. 

formulaben

Low oil pressure switch will sound immediately.  Under power it's a trouble code and knock sensor is a likely candidate after winterization.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 9:32 AM, BillyChinookVLX said:

Ever figure this out? I am currently chasing the same issue on my 05 VLX. Did the LED DTC test and got 44 and 81. Just changed the knock sensor and still getting both codes. 

4 hours ago, NashVLX said:

Ever figure this out? I am currently chasing the same issue on my 05 VLX. Did the LED DTC test and got 44 and 81. Just changed the knock sensor and still getting both codes. 

it may take several cold to hot engine run cycles for the ecm to clear codes.

17 hours ago, tvano said:

it may take several cold to hot engine run cycles for the ecm to clear codes.

That’s good to know then. Took it out and it was still giving me a beep after driving it a while. Could it still be sending me the check engine beep? 

On older ECMs you can clear codes by doing the following:

1. Turn key on (engine off)
  2. Jump Position A to B on datalink connector
  3. Move throttle to wide open and back to neutral
  4. Remove jumper
  5. Turn key off
  6. Wait 20 seconds
  7. Turn key on
  8. Jump Position A to B again
  9. Check codes to make sure they cleared
  10. Remove Jumper
  11. Turn key off

I'm not sure if your 2005 ECM will do that, but it is worth a try.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Having very similar symptoms on my 2002 response lx - has been getting more frequent as she grows older.  It beeps but nothing is wrong. Wondering if it is the computer itself and if time to simplify with one of these Medallion Conversion kits to bypass the computer/perfect pass.  anyone try this from Ron?

https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Medallion-Conversion-Kit-Malibu-TRD-1201-MAL?search=1201

4 hours ago, GAAHTH said:

Having very similar symptoms on my 2002 response lx - has been getting more frequent as she grows older.  It beeps but nothing is wrong. Wondering if it is the computer itself and if time to simplify with one of these Medallion Conversion kits to bypass the computer/perfect pass.  anyone try this from Ron?

https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Medallion-Conversion-Kit-Malibu-TRD-1201-MAL?search=1201

I fitted the similar TRD 1208 kit a couple of years ago when my Medallion MMDC failed. Works great and really high quality. The TRD gauges are better than original with glass lens rather than plastic. The kits removes the Medallion. It does not bypass any existing Perfectpass. As far as I know it also doesn't remove any alarms as they originate from the engine ECM, not the medallion. 

Edited by uk_exile

I recently got the gauge kit too and it works great. The swap could be done literally in 5 minutes when you find the hidden screw or two for the dash. Like UK said above it wont help with an alarm. Those come from the ECM. 

Mine did the same thing. Got an alarm years ago because I was messing around and never got rid of it. So, i clipped it. I watch the gauges like a hawk and no issues since.