Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Slalom/Ski Rope for 2023?

SkiWhiz70

Hi all! This season our family is in the market for a new ski rope. Our current one is about at old as me and it starting to fray and get tattered. From everything I’m reading, all the new ropes seem to be line based rather than elastic rope. 

Our current rope is 5 sections and am hoping to stay with a sectioned rope still. We also upgraded to a V drive this year- do they make specific ropes with extra sections to account for the tow point position difference?

Appreciate the insight!

The top 2 right now are Masterline & S lines.  You can get personalized service from both.  Another good source for ropes & handles is In-Tow.  UV rays kill ropes also, so frequent rope checked can avoid a painful and sudden stop.

Edited by Woodski
2 hours ago, SkiWhiz70 said:

We also upgraded to a V drive this year- do they make specific ropes with extra sections to account for the tow point position difference?

The measurement that counts is from pylon (center of the boat) to bouy line at a right angle.  So the answer is no, the rope is the same for v drives and direct drives.  But if you just want to get to a different place on your wake for free skiing, call Brenda at In-Tow and she will take you whatever lengths you want.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Scott at S-lines can section your rope however you want it done also, but what sort of speeds are you skiing at and what lengths do you like to ski?

On A Vdrive, 28 off will have you in front of the rooster at speeds over 30 or 32 MPH.  You'll be right in the rooster at 22 off.  Right at the tail of the rooster at 15 off, 34 MPH.

I'll also add that you should stop using a fraying or faded rope immediately.  I got hurt pretty bad about 8 years ago or so on a rope that didn't look that bad, but was over its limit.  Took a couple months to get my neck right.

4 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I'll also add that you should stop using a fraying or faded rope immediately.  I got hurt pretty bad about 8 years ago or so on a rope that didn't look that bad, but was over its limit.  Took a couple months to get my neck right.

Yeah, nothing like that thing snapping right at the wake.  Crazy how quick you hit the water.