Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Downgrade Advice

NashVLX

Hey y’all. Just got this 05 Wakesetter. I listen to loud music constantly for work so when I’m on the lake I really keep it more laid back. Boat has the factory cabin speakers, factory sub, two rev 10s on tower, and a box with a Rockford sub in it. Rockford Sub and tower has a Rockford pm1000X5 driving them. Cabin speakers and sub have a Rockville 6 channel. My question if I’m getting rid of the Rockford sub and box…do I keep the Rockford amp in there to run the towers or can pull it too and run 2 towers and 6 cabins off the Rockville? TIA for input! 

On 5/13/2023 at 4:40 PM, NashVLX said:

Boat has the factory cabin speakers, factory sub, two rev 10s on tower, and a box with a Rockford sub in it.

OEM woofer and a 2nd woofer? 

Either way, id consider zone control. 

On 5/20/2023 at 12:41 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Or just turn the volume knob down.  Removing the sub, even at low volumes, will cut out all the low frequencies and not sound good.

It’s got an OEM woofer and an aftermarket Rockford sub and box. I’d keep the oem. 

On 5/20/2023 at 3:02 PM, MLA said:

OEM woofer and a 2nd woofer? 

Either way, id consider zone control. 

Yeah. It’s got two. I’ve got it currently wired for the rev10s on zone 2 with one amp. I’ll prob just keep both amps in there and clean the wiring up better than it is. Run the factory sub and tower off one amp on zone two and cabin speaks off other amp on zone 1. 

Edited by NashVLX

I would want my two woofers' signals pair and one their volume zone. This way, you can turn down/up both woofers as much as you like.

As for amps. There is no good way to power 8 full-range drivers and a woofer on either the 5 or 6 chnl amp. So you can disconnect one woofer, but both amps will be staying, unless you ship some cabin speakers to the head unit. If you are only keeping one woofer, id want it driven on the dedicated mono chnl of the 5 chnl amp. Id also one which ever woofer is larger and is a 2 ohm. 

For the towers, bridged on the 4 full-range chnls of the 5 chnl or on the 6 chnl, which offers the best 4 bridged wattage? Thats likely the amp id want them on.