Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need to raise trailer ball height

Steve B.

New to me SUV with low trailer ball. At the moment trailer wont go low enough to even attach to the truck. Looks like I need to raise the trailer ball a good 6" to get the trailer level. There's a fair amount on the net but thought I'd ask. I did a brief search here for past posts that I know some folks posted some nice adjustable units, but didn't find those threads. Thanks in advance for advice.

Steve B.

I think Andersen Hitches makes one of the best adjustable hitched out there. The only downside is the price tag, they are definitely proud of them.

NorCalSurfer

I have a Weigh Safe and B&W. I like both for different reasons. B&W is for the Ram 2500 with a larger receiver. The WS is great to know the tongue weight. 

On 5/11/2023 at 10:20 PM, csleaver said:

I've used the Andersen Rapid hitch and the B&W Tow and Stow hitch at work and definitely prefer the B&W.

https://andersenhitches.com/product/rapid-hitch/

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

That is a really nice looking hitch from Andersen. Wow.

I have the B&W.  My complaint with it (I have the polished version) is surface rust.  Mainly around all of the joints.  I don't even leave it attached in the winters.  

22 hours ago, Steve B. said:

That is a really nice looking hitch from Andersen. Wow.

I have it.  It doesn't stay looking like that - lol

The issue I have with most of these is they have a different rating for the 2" ball.  Read the fine print!   Not sure why my M220 came with a 2" ball but buyer beware.  Does anyone have experience with Bulletproof hitches?  They have a legit unit for 3" receiver that I've been looking at.

image.png.5e822cfe7b0995410583681b3a369e8b.png

4 hours ago, pauley71 said:

The issue I have with most of these is they have a different rating for the 2" ball.  Read the fine print!   Not sure why my M220 came with a 2" ball but buyer beware.  Does anyone have experience with Bulletproof hitches?  They have a legit unit for 3" receiver that I've been looking at.

No, it gets a normal aluminum patina over the years (or maybe months - can't recall).

Not sure why a 7500lb rating on a 2" ball would be odd.  Never had a trailer over that which did not have a 2 5/16 hitch on it.  What would you normally expect the rating to be on a 2" ball?

5 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I bought the Andersen because of the 2” rating . My T250 also came with 2” coupler while the 25lsv comes with the 2 5/16”. My T250 weighs 9400 full . I’m only guessing Malibu made changes for 23 , I think the trailers come with the larger now 

19 hours ago, oldjeep said:

What would you normally expect the rating to be on a 2" ball?

My M220 is almost 9k loaded (and came with a 2" coupler) so something closer to that - LOL

19 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

I bought the Andersen because of the 2” rating . 

Appears 2" shank / ball is 8k and you are 9400?

53 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Appears 2" shank / ball is 8k and you are 9400?

I got the greaseless alumiball rated at 10k ,2.5” shank . Very weird that I had to search to find the correct rating . Even my all aluminum cargo trailer has a 2 5/6” ball 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am going to give this a try.  Weigh Safe Aero.  In the 2 inch receiver the 2" ball is rated at 12,500 and 1,500 lounge weight.  With a 4 inch drop and no fancy anti theft locks it is 189 before tax and ship.  On the regular hitch ball the shaft diameter seems to determine the tow limit.  This does not have a shaft with a nut on the bottom because of the built in scale design.

Weigh Safe Aero

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 11:34 PM, Surf4FamFun said:

I am going to give this a try.  Weigh Safe Aero.  In the 2 inch receiver the 2" ball is rated at 12,500 and 1,500 lounge weight.  With a 4 inch drop and no fancy anti theft locks it is 189 before tax and ship.  On the regular hitch ball the shaft diameter seems to determine the tow limit.  This does not have a shaft with a nut on the bottom because of the built in scale design.

Weigh Safe Aero

I ended up ordering this unit.  I have made one round trip of 170 miles pulling a 2021 23 MXZ.  Probably the first time I have ever had the trailer actually level, really sold on the 1 inch adjustments no matter who makes it.  There is no binding as you slide the ball up and down to adjust.  When I got the trailer level the scale showed almost exactly 10% tongue weight, go figure.

14 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Nice unit. I had to watch the video to see that it also does a raise instead of a drop. 

Steve B.

They do make the fact that is also will "raise" hard to find.  It is pretty basic; heavy steel, weights close to 20 pounds but functional. 

Edited by Surf4FamFun
missed word