Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purchasing a 2013 Malibu 23LSV

Slb9981

Hope everyone is having a great day. I’m about to pull the trigger on my first wake/surf boat although used. I’m looking at a 2013 Malibu 23LSV. Is there any reason I shouldn’t buy this. I’m basically maxed out on my budget in the mid 60s. 

Others with way more knowledge and experience will chime in, but I was looking at those era 23lsv’s as well.  I think the dash screens, mainly the lower right one, are a common issue.  It will go bad at some point.  Seemed to be more a when situation than an if.

Expensive and hard to find I believe 

Edited by ty151

there os a thread on this site where a guy is now marketing a screen demount and replacement remount option much cheaper, by the time you might  need it again there is a cheaper solution 

Am I making the right choice on a first boat? I was getting close on a Nautique 230 but the more I read the walls isn’t as good at low speeds. This is for me and my two boys ages 10 and 13. 

Really need more information. Intended usage, skill level, number of people, etc.  Other things to think about is storage, tow vehicle, etc.

Do you have any budget leftover for unexpected repairs? If not, I would say this is not the right boat for you. There is almost always something that will go wrong in the first year, sometimes trivial, sometimes major, but usually expensive.

1 hour ago, Slb9981 said:

Am I making the right choice on a first boat? I was getting close on a Nautique 230 but the more I read the walls isn’t as good at low speeds. This is for me and my two boys ages 10 and 13. 

Buy it, stop shopping. Declare Victory.   Your boys will love it, as well as all of their friends.  

This forum is the best thing the Malibu has going for it. I would have given up on my boat long ago but for all the help I have gotten here.  Ask questions and you will learn how to fix the issues that pop up.  

Edited by Bozboat
30 minutes ago, Tsumi said:

Really need more information. Intended usage, skill level, number of people, etc.  Other things to think about is storage, tow vehicle, etc.

Do you have any budget leftover for unexpected repairs? If not, I would say this is not the right boat for you. There is almost always something that will go wrong in the first year, sometimes trivial, sometimes major, but usually expensive.

Intended use is to learn to surf, wakeboard and pull a tube. We’re all new to this… have wakeboarded some.  Probably be just 3-7 of us. It has the 350. I’m hopeful that’s enough power. 

I have a 2018 sea pro bay boat currently we use for fishing. Have a ford f150 to pull it with. I did leave some room to buy boards, ropes and unexpected repairs. 

figure I’ll at least need tires on the trailer on day one. It’s been sitting a couple of years and I’ll be trailering. 

Go for it.  Just FYI though - the 2014 23LSV was the first year of a hull redesign after surfgate was a thing.  It surfs better than the 2013.  

That being said, if the 2013 is clean and checks your boxes, it will surf just fine and you will have a blast with your family on it.  

5 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Go for it.  Just FYI though - the 2014 23LSV was the first year of a hull redesign after surfgate was a thing.  It surfs better than the 2013.  

That being said, if the 2013 is clean and checks your boxes, it will surf just fine and you will have a blast with your family on it.  

Is it Noticeably different? The 2013 vs 2014. 

11 minutes ago, Slb9981 said:

Is it Noticeably different? The 2013 vs 2014. 

I probably shouldn’t have said anything 😬😂.  Honestly, yes, I think it is. The 2014 is listed 400 lbs heavier than the 2013.  It sits noticeably deeper than the 2013 in terms of freeboard.    

But, you can always chase the next things.  I could describe differences from the 2014-2015 as soon as you say you want a 2014.  2014 was a one and done dash design and the LS3 from Marine Power had some issues in some boats that year.  So, if you found the right 2013, go get it!

45 minutes ago, Slb9981 said:

Intended use is to learn to surf, wakeboard and pull a tube. We’re all new to this… have wakeboarded some.  Probably be just 3-7 of us. It has the 350. I’m hopeful that’s enough power. 

I have a 2018 sea pro bay boat currently we use for fishing. Have a ford f150 to pull it with. I did leave some room to buy boards, ropes and unexpected repairs. 

figure I’ll at least need tires on the trailer on day one. It’s been sitting a couple of years and I’ll be trailering. 

Trailer sitting a couple of years or boat and trailer sitting a couple of years ?

B

3 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Trailer sitting a couple of years or boat and trailer sitting a couple of years ?

Boat has 520 hours. Interior is near perfect. Boat has been on a lift but trailer wasn’t moved in 4 years but looks in great shape. Gotta haul it 300 miles. 

Just check out the trailer well.  It may look good, but after sitting for 4 years I would be worried if the brakes still function well and if a blowout may quickly occur on those tires.  

I had the same boat we bought it brand new. It had 1450 hours on it when I sold it. It had the Monsoon 350 in it. Only motor problems I had was O2 sensors and a bad catalytic converter. Ran like a champ. The maliview screen delaminated twice in 7 years. I will say that the Monsoon 350 doesn’t have the power with full ballast and a full boat. It will surf at maybe 10.5 max speed and don’t even try to wakeboard with any ballast weight. Maybe a new prop would help that. And we live at 4500 feet so altitude was a factor. We loved the boat!! 

IMG_6403.jpeg

ok ok. I’m over thinking this I think. I’m going back and looking at posts and feel like maybe this isn’t the best deal. 

A clean 2013, 520 hours, 350 motor for $65k with trailer. I’d love to get into a 14 or 2015 but they’re closer to $80 from what I’ve seen. But I have a feeling the bubble has busted a little on these prices compared to what they’ve been. 

This time of year is usually a seller's market, so prices will be higher as compared to the late fall and winter months. Everyone is concerned about the economy so that is pushing prices down, this winter might be the time to buy a boat if you're okay holding out.

350 definitely won't have the power for a fully ballasted boat. That being said, you don't need to be fully ballasted if you're just learning. No ballast and maybe the wedge will be more than sufficient for beginners, especially for a 10 and 13 year old. Remember a bigger wake will be intimidating for learning wakeboarding.

If it is a good enough deal and the timing is right, then pull the trigger. The wake on this boat will be amazing for your crew.  Summer is almost here.  There will always be a boat out there with a bigger wake, more HP and a better whatever.  

redrooster

Get it.  

The sooner the better.  Because there will be stuff that will need to be fixed or maintained after a few shake down runs, then hammer it!!

I had a 2014 23lsv w the monsoon 409.  Never had to replace a screen but had to replace engine ecu ($600 got wet in monsoon rains) and catalytic converters and muffler($2k).  That boat had like 900+ hours on it though.  Also had to replace the livorsi throttle ($800).  I miss that boat a lot.  Despite the downgrade in electronics, that 2014 surf wave was insane and I’m still chasing it with my newer boat. 

I'm trying to find a well priced 2010 LSV to buy. 2011-2013 would be fine, just more $ and the same boat mostly. The 2010-2013 LSV generation seems solid. I think you will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 8:22 PM, hethj7 said:

Just check out the trailer well.  It may look good, but after sitting for 4 years I would be worried if the brakes still function well and if a blowout may quickly occur on those tires.  

I had a tire delaminate and a brake lock up with a trailer that sat for 4 years when I bought my boat.  It happened 1 hour into a 2 hour trip and I had no spare.  It was a Sunday in rural Virginia so a buddy drove an hour to bring ma a spare.