Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Model differences '01 to '07 VLX

kpasch

Anyone know somewhere that shows the model differences?  Looking to see if a '07 is worth another $20k than an '01, both in super conditions with low hours.  Taking into account Wakeboarding but the potential to surf.

Thanks,

20 k premium seems excessive. When shopping a few month back the difference was about 5-10k max. I settled with an 06 LSV 

Gosh that is a big difference. I am not sure I could pay that premium. You could make the 01 do everything the 07 does for 5 k

Different hulls.  The '07 is wider, longer, deeper, and heavier.  Deeper V.  Better rough water ride.  More electronics.  Engine with Cats and a bit more power.  The '07 will have more durable vinyl and might look better on the inside.  In terms of luxury feel, it's debatable.  I personally think Malibu luxury feel peaked around '01-02 and has been downhill since then.  Not likely stuff most people will notice though.  '07 has gorilla fins for a bit better tracking.  '07 will respond to weight better when surfing since the '01 rubrail will be right at the waterline if you're going to list it at all.

My 05 i bought for 35k last summer, just sold my 1999 for 17k. It was for sale for about 8 months. The newer boats are alot better, bigger, deeper, better on the water. 

The extra width makes a big difference in how spacious the boat feels. For just wakeboarding, the price difference probably is not worth it, but for taking the family out surfing on a crowded weekend it probably is. Silver edition commands a bit of an extra premium. If you want to save a bit of money, the 05 and 06 are the same hull as the 07 and are pre-cat engines.

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a 2002 VLX to my 2010 VLX. The differences in the hull was night and day. Deeper V and bigger inside made it a lot more enjoyable to use in rough waters or with a larger crew. Other then that not much difference. 

Also My 2002 had a manual wedge, the 2010 has a Auto Wedge. It is a nice to have but really doesn't change much on performance.  

As far as performance in your sport, the 01 for sure will be rougher on a busy day. I choose the 01 for slalom wake as well as wakeboard and surfing. If I wasn’t into slalom, and had more cash, I might have really tested the newer models up to 07 and might have chosen one of those. 

I'd confirm it's actually a Silver Edition.  I've seen some ads lately where they list an 07 as a Silver Edition, but it's not.  I think all '07 Malibu's had 'silver' on the steering wheel because it was the anniversary, but I believe that all the Silvers were actually Black/Grey/White and on an Extreme trailer with custom rims.  Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:19 PM, oldjeep said:

Were the 2007 Silver editions all hammerheads too?  At least in some models I thought that was part of the package - hammerhead rather than the standard 5.7

mine is