Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Malibu Sunsetter vs SLXI

EMGoldman

EMGoldman

Help please…I’m buying my 1st ski boat to ski the slalom course (and also family boat/mother of 4) and the boat I’m going to test run this Tuesday (deposit made) was listed in the details as 2000 sunsetter Lxi but just realizing now it doesn’t say Lxi on the boat like others in pics. It also doesn’t look to have the extended space near swim platform. Does this mean it’s not an Lxi? And/or is not a diamond hull better for course? Heading there to ski this boat will take me a day driving to/from and not time I’d like to waste if this boat isn’t a good option for slalom course. I would also want to install PP Stargazer which it doesn’t presently have. Any info, thoughts would be so appreciated. 

Sorry, I don't know the detailed differences but assume the boat specs page will help you? https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/malibu_specs.html/ 

Yes, diamond hull is always better than wake hull in slalom course. Bigger or heavier boat generally worse in course. But it really depends what level you ski at too as some non diamonds are completely acceptable to low level skiers.

Do you have a link to the listing?

I think there was a year or two where the Sunsetter was available on the Diamond hull, but for most of it's life, it was not.  The LXi will be the better boat all around than the Sunsetter.  Nicer seating, amenities, space, and more modern lines.

I've had both. Don't even hesitate if it's not the diamond hull. I've ski'd the course for many years and there is only a minimal difference above 32mph or so. They are incredibly similar wakes.

Steve B.

quick edit: Just want to add, you'd notice a bigger difference in how either boat is weighted. Lots of adults and full tank will influence the wake quality more than the hull difference. We try to run minimum fuel and weight. That will equal flat wake.

Edited by Steve B.
added thought
  • Like 1

Exactly what @Steve B. said. You’ll notice a bigger difference in crew/gear weight and balance than you will the wake. You didn’t say what speed, but wakes at 34 I really doubt you’ll notice any measurable difference. I’ve skied both quite a bit…wakes won’t be the limiting factor. 

1 hour ago, Sethro said:

Exactly what @Steve B. said. You’ll notice a bigger difference in crew/gear weight and balance than you will the wake. You didn’t say what speed, but wakes at 34 I really doubt you’ll notice any measurable difference. I’ve skied both quite a bit…wakes won’t be the limiting factor. 

Limiting factor, no, but do you notice a difference in the wakes in terms of hardness?  It's been years since I skied it, but I recall my friend's Sportster had a tiny wake but it was like hitting a little curb, whereas my Response wake is fractionally larger but less noticeable.  Neither are bad wakes, and I agree, neither should hold back progress, but if a boat was advertised as an LXi and it's not one, that's worth a few grand off IMO.  It's just not as refined all around.

• Like 3