Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev 10 speakers only putting out low Hz volume

AustinHanson

AustinHanson

We just bought a 2023 malibu 23Lsv. During our 10 hour break in, we noticed that our 4 tower rev 10’s only play deep bass notes. They are acting like subwoofers instead of full range speakers. There are no knobs on the amps or specific adjustments on the Malibu display screen. I feel like it has to do with what hz the tower speakers are set at. Any tips? 

Really hard to even diagnose with the amps being all digital and locked. I’d say it has to go to the dealer. I got rid of all my Wetsounds Malibu locked amps. 

Have you tried to adjust the sound through the stereo section of the Malibu stereo screen?  

AustinHanson

I did try adjusting and everything sounds good but the tower speakers. I hate how all the amps are locked. Good thing is I’m dropping it off at the dealer for its 10 hour service tomorrow and all of that is under warranty 

If have the dealer load the latest and greatest amp tune. IIRC in past models, Bu has used the same amp model for the 2nd woofer option. Might possibly be an amp loaded with the woofer tune, not the tower tune. 

With an ohm meter, you can unplug the speaker connectors from the amp, and ohm the speaker circuit. The pods are 4 ohm, so if all is good, you should see 4 ohm give or take a couple tenths of an ohm. 

38 minutes ago, MLA said:

If have the dealer load the latest and greatest amp tune. IIRC in past models, Bu has used the same amp model for the 2nd woofer option. Might possibly be an amp loaded with the woofer tune, not the tower tune. 

With an ohm meter, you can unplug the speaker connectors from the amp, and ohm the speaker circuit. The pods are 4 ohm, so if all is good, you should see 4 ohm give or take a couple tenths of an ohm. 

Dealers dont have the programing module. You usually have to send the amp to them.

11 minutes ago, COOP said:

Dealers dont have the programing module. You usually have to send the amp to them.

Who's "them". 

So Bu is 7 years into using the OEM DSP amps, and ive never read a single post of an owner having to have an amp removed and shipped back to Malibu to be updated. 

Wetsounds amp programming modules are no longer available from Malibu.  The ones that are still out there were all pre-programmed for a specific amplifier and speaker application.  No "latest and greatest" amp tune, downloads, or module programming were offered that I have seen.  Each replacement amplifier, for 2017-2023 Malibu or Axis boats, is programmed and sent to a Malibu dealer for the application needed when it is ordered.  To the best of my knowledge, amp replacement or sending an amplifier to Malibu for programming are the current options.

2 hours ago, csleaver said:

No "latest and greatest" amp tune

Would the last tune done for the amp, not be that? Not like I said a new tune was released yesterday. A tune existing for that amp at Some point, correct? 

3 hours ago, csleaver said:

Wetsounds amp programming modules are no longer available from Malibu.  The ones that are still out there were all pre-programmed for a specific amplifier and speaker application.  No "latest and greatest" amp tune, downloads, or module programming were offered that I have seen.  Each replacement amplifier, for 2017-2023 Malibu or Axis boats, is programmed and sent to a Malibu dealer for the application needed when it is ordered.  To the best of my knowledge, amp replacement or sending an amplifier to Malibu for programming are the current options.

My understanding is just this.
Only a select few shops have the ability to flash the amps with a new program. Usually they go back to Wetsounds to be turned around. On the forum here this usually sounds like, “the dealer replaced the amp and all is good now.” I know Scream Marine here in Dallas can do the flashing if you happen to be one of their customers. They’re a rare bird. 

13 hours ago, Slurpee said:

My understanding is just this.
Only a select few shops have the ability to flash the amps with a new program. Usually they go back to Wetsounds to be turned around. On the forum here this usually sounds like, “the dealer replaced the amp and all is good now.” I know Scream Marine here in Dallas can do the flashing if you happen to be one of their customers. They’re a rare bird. 

They may be one of the dealers that had programming modules sent to them and never sent them back. Which is why Malibu stopped sending dealers modules. They would have no way of getting the latest "tune" either, only what is on the programmer.

Edited by COOP
4 hours ago, Steve B. said:

I'm wondering if the manufacturer only allows trained authorized folks to do it, wherever they may be.

Ive been told ONLY Malibu is supposed to flash the amps now as they wont send out the programmers anymore.

I am fortunate that they have sent me the programmers, but I make sure I send them back as soon as Im done. To my knowledge no dealer has access to the software itself. 

Edited by COOP
  • 10 months later...
Btown801

@AustinHanson did you ever get this resolved?  My new to me 21 A24 has 4 rev10’s and they are only doing low pass. Or if anyone else knows of a solution???

1 hour ago, Btown801 said:

@AustinHanson did you ever get this resolved?  My new to me 21 A24 has 4 rev10’s and they are only doing low pass. Or if anyone else knows of a solution???

Is it the stock dsp amp or an aftermarket? If you post a photo I can identify!

All four tower pods with the same symptom is definitely a signal issue unless the previously owner abused the system and smoked all four tweeters. 

Btown801

I believe they are the factory amps. They look like wet sounds but have the “A” axis logo on them. I’m not sure how to post a pic on here. 

52 minutes ago, Btown801 said:

I believe they are the factory amps. They look like wet sounds but have the “A” axis logo on them. I’m not sure how to post a pic on here. 

Ah yes, id talk with dealership since under warranty, they might be able to replace  

Did you check your EQ?

• 3 weeks later...
Btown801

So just to follow up on this. I took my boat to the dealer they found that the tower speaker plug and the subwoofer plug were swapped. 

On 3/22/2024 at 10:48 PM, Btown801 said:

So just to follow up on this. I took my boat to the dealer they found that the tower speaker plug and the subwoofer plug were swapped. 

Sheesh, great quality control on Malibus part …

Kind of surprised nothing was damaged. 

11 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Sheesh, great quality control on Malibus part …

Kind of surprised nothing was damaged. 

It's 2021 Axis purchased used. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

It's 2021 Axis purchased used. 

Ah okay, my bad! With that being the case, likely previous owner swapped amps with harnesses, then when selling swapped back and accidentally plugged in wrong. 

Btown801

2021 with only 77 hours... It's possible that the previous owner had something else going on... it's also possible that it was wrong from the factory. who knows. Either way it seems to be working great now. But it does make me wonder if I could increase the sound quality a bunch by changing amps. This boat has the soundpack 3 on it with 4 rev10's.

3 hours ago, Btown801 said:

2021 with only 77 hours... It's possible that the previous owner had something else going on... it's also possible that it was wrong from the factory. who knows. Either way it seems to be working great now. But it does make me wonder if I could increase the sound quality a bunch by changing amps. This boat has the soundpack 3 on it with 4 rev10's.

Yes you can majorly increase the output by swapping amps !