Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

boat insurance - big premium increase

John I.

I know there is a long running thread about insurance here , but I just received my renewal notice from Boat US/Geico that includes a whopping 58% price increase! No policy changes, no claims, etc.  Is this type of increase industry-wide or company specific? (or just me?) 

I have been with Boat US for over 30 years, but it looks like it may be time to move on.  Two months ago I decided to shop 8 policies on rental properties I have and was amazed at the savings. 

I just went through this with my 06 lsv. Quotes were 1k all the way down to 300 for the year. For my boat it’s got the 300 dollar policy 

My BoatUS is coming up. They raised my rates last year quite a bit. I will shop if they do again. My biggest issue with them is agreed replacement. Why don't they follow the boats actual value? Anyway, I'll watch.

Steve B.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to those of you who reminded me about SkiSafe. Went to their website and discovered that I had requested a quote back in 2019, but there was no savings to be had then so I stayed with Boat US.  Today's quote from SkiSafe is very close to what I paid last year (and for many years prior) with Boat US/Geico, before their 58% premium increase this year. 

That’s crazy. I’m paying the same I paid at SkiSafe with BoatUS/Geico. Just locked it in this March. 

Skisafe dropped me simply because I “inquired” about a commercial insurance policy when I was planning to do wake charters.