Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Malibu 23LSV Factory Main Amp Replacement

lamgar

1 hour ago, lamgar said:

want to replace this factory amp as it heats up and cuts out all the time and I don't have warranty. what is the best replacement? thanks.

First need to know a few things…

Do you want another factory amp?  

Do you have a factory subwoofer? 

Ditch the junky factory amp(s), make or get some plugs made to go from DSP Plugs to RCA. Since no warranty, you’re able to cut the speaker plugs off and wire straight into new amps. 

Decide on new amp, SDX4 is perfect for 4 pair of revo 8, replace your sub and find a good amp for it, or maybe go SDX6 to be able to power that as well. As for towers, it depends on what towers ya got. 

4189AC66-73D0-4E73-B18C-C7C2C532ADE0.jpeg

How did you determine that the amp is going into thermal protect mode? With that said, this a safety guard of the amp's design and NOT a defect. So whats causing the amp to get hot? If, thats whats going on. Improper installation, too low of an impedance on the amp chnls, low voltage at the amp terminals? None of these are the fault of the amp. Point being, you could easily replace the amp and end up with the same issue with the new amp. 

Its the amp that powers all the cabin speakers and the sub. I confirmed the fault code with the dealer that it was thermal protection on the heatsink. 3 long blinks. all factory installed with regards to the amp in question. voltage reading on dash is always 14v. 

all stock speakers in the cabin/bow/sub. two sets of REV10s on the tower fed from new SDX2. 

I don't want another factory amp.

305232158_malibu_amps_faultcodes.thumb.png.ec1cc82bdce3aa8f01c2de341100a9b6.png

On 4/18/2023 at 5:05 PM, IXFE said:

First need to know a few things…

Do you want another factory amp?  

Do you have a factory subwoofer? 

no don't want factory, yes have factory sub.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:32 PM, MLA said:

How did you determine that the amp is going into thermal protect mode? With that said, this a safety guard of the amp's design and NOT a defect. So whats causing the amp to get hot? If, thats whats going on. Improper installation, too low of an impedance on the amp chnls, low voltage at the amp terminals? None of these are the fault of the amp. Point being, you could easily replace the amp and end up with the same issue with the new amp. 

see response above

20 hours ago, lamgar said:

no don't want factory, yes have factory sub.

Okay, new cabin amp (ie non factory) means you’re gonna need a adapter plugs from @Brandonloos21

Since you have a factory sub that means it’s also powered by the same amp that powers your cabin, which is an OE SynDx6. When you remove it, you’re gonna need to either replace it with another 6 channel amp (or else you’ll lose your sub) or you’re gonna need to replace it with a a 4 channel (cabin) + a mono amp (sub). If you go with two amps (highly recommended), you’ll need to run another set of 4g power/ground cables to the distribution block (it’s inside that carpeted box about 5’ away from amp board) and add a new mini ANL fuse to the block  

Can I make another suggestion?  As long as you’re doing all this work, what’s say we rip out that crappy factory sub + enclosure? 

If I were you…

SDX4 for the cabin amp

JL HD1200/1 for the sub amp 

2x JL12W6 for your subs (yep, dual)

Don’t forget the adapters from Brandon (pictured in his post earlier). 

You will thank me later! 😀