Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying 2000 Sunsetter VLX ooooor 98 LX

SaskBoater

1 hour ago, SaskBoater said:

Shop is most definitely heated. Infloor heat with 7inch concrete slab 👍🏻.  Temps in Sask reach -40F often so pretty fortunate to have a large space at 59F to store/work on stuff.   I just ordered Perko kit yesterday if in time it fails may have to look into something a little beefier like you have.

I noticed my boat doesn’t have a shut off for water intake is this something I should be doing at same time?

considering 2 spots to put the Perko

option 1 between water intake and Vdrive, is this best spot to then flush entire system, and “Descale” my lake is lil high in minerals . Maybe going overboard? But want as little problems as possible for our very short boating season up north

7B09A175-F21F-4829-AA47-7DCE0B35B98C.jpeg

I just disconnect the hose at point 2 in your pic and shove a water hose into it to run on the trailer. 
I also pour rv antifreeze into the line and bump the motor over till it comes out the crossover drain when  winterize. 

8 hours ago, SaskBoater said:

Shop is most definitely heated. Infloor heat with 7inch concrete slab 👍🏻.  Temps in Sask reach -40F often so pretty fortunate to have a large space at 59F to store/work on stuff.   I just ordered Perko kit yesterday if in time it fails may have to look into something a little beefier like you have.

I noticed my boat doesn’t have a shut off for water intake is this something I should be doing at same time?

considering 2 spots to put the Perko

option 1 between water intake and Vdrive, is this best spot to then flush entire system, and “Descale” my lake is lil high in minerals . Maybe going overboard? But want as little problems as possible for our very short boating season up north

7B09A175-F21F-4829-AA47-7DCE0B35B98C.jpeg

-40 is 72 degrees below freezing 😳

I added a valve at the raw water intake, there is some thought you should have one there if you needed to stop water from coming in.  I like the idea of a flush connection on the transom but I have not installed that extension yet. The perko will work for you, but check it every year or so for cracks, the two I had both eventually cracked and allowing air to be sucked into the cooling system causing problems.

11 hours ago, Bozboat said:

-40 is 72 degrees below freezing 😳

I added a valve at the raw water intake, there is some thought you should have one there if you needed to stop water from coming in.  I like the idea of a flush connection on the transom but I have not installed that extension yet. The perko will work for you, but check it every year or so for cracks, the two I had both eventually cracked and allowing air to be sucked into the cooling system causing problems.

Big + for a ball valve on any hull penetration.  We have a 18' 6" deep V that almost went down when a pump body broke that was mounted below the water line.  Only thing that saved it was the ball valve, and coming out for one last ride after supper.

FWIW, all new boats come with valves on all through hulls, but they didn't used to.  I had a 2000VLX and loved that boat.   You and your family should enjoy this boat quite a bit!   

SaskBoater
On 4/27/2023 at 8:18 AM, Steve B. said:

The fake a lake systems are basically a plunger pushed onto the bottom of the hull, over the water pick-up. They leak, you gotta get under the boat, etc. The perko flush systems allow you to simply attach a garden hose to somewhere on the hull. No leaks, no getting under the boat. Much better.

Steve B.

Well Perko arrived so popped it in the boat.  Seems to work. Could watch water flowing while running .   Pretty tight quarters on the intake side.  Not sure if I’m going to do the Hull hook up or not . Probably not this season anyways.  

889BD1CF-82E7-4B50-83A0-4D887421573C.jpeg

F3D8F289-2359-4686-8ED4-A3540ED1E63A.jpeg

E2DC70BA-A45E-42D1-A553-EAA510402686.jpeg

030FAFF1-5B3D-48A1-A6CC-09C869A7D0AC.jpeg

• Like 3
SaskBoater

Not a big upgrade this evening, super simple even a kid could do it.  But I think will make life at the loading ramp a lot nicer .  Going to look for something to put over ratchets as the strap does touch boat

B963B90E-0C3A-464D-BE5E-D1AB6E510734.jpeg

6530B9F3-7FC6-4EE9-BC81-AC111A11004C.jpeg

1E095AED-F4C7-4C26-BE10-149484854872.jpeg

9CDE83B9-6EB2-4E3E-91BF-254BE8097AD9.jpeg

6ECE719F-C278-4658-AA6B-6B99E9C631C2.jpeg

Edited by SaskBoater
SaskBoater
32 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I used a microfiber towel after the wipe down to keep the hook off the gel on my 2001

https://www.amazon.ca/BoatBuckle-Boat-Pads-Medium-2-Pack/dp/B004TTYK9U/ref=asc_df_B004TTYK9U/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293011951324&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9826180987235028919&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001248&hvtargid=pla-492268049753&psc=1

i was just thinking of grabbing something like this to slip over?  I like the fact my kids can “help” and then not worry about loosing a strap . Time will tell how they hold up.  Still lots of ice on our lake here but weather is warming up so hopefully 1-2 weeks have it in the water

On 5/3/2023 at 12:20 AM, SaskBoater said:

i was just thinking of grabbing something like this to slip over?  I like the fact my kids can “help” and then not worry about loosing a strap . Time will tell how they hold up.  Still lots of ice on our lake here but weather is warming up so hopefully 1-2 weeks have it in the water

I've had mine for exactly 10 years.  No marring of the gel coat from using them, so absolutely no need for a cover.  Never any issues either.  I've also had their bow safety tie down for 9 years, again with no issues.  Can't say how well they hold up to the weather as the boat sleeps in the garage year-round.

SaskBoater
20 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I've had mine for exactly 10 years.  No marring of the gel coat from using them, so absolutely no need for a cover.  Never any issues either.  I've also had their bow safety tie down for 9 years, again with no issues.  Can't say how well they hold up to the weather as the boat sleeps in the garage year-round.

Well I did take a look last night and no marks from just the normal straps that have been holding boat down for 23 years,  So I think I'll just run these  new ones as is and keep an eye on them.   Docks are in the lake and gates open up today, so if weather cooperates should be in the water this weekend or next..  Won't be in the fridgid water but can take it for a test spin at least, get some practice with loading/unloading.  Get used to Vdrive compared to pontoon and my I/O mariah.19x

• 2 weeks later...
SaskBoater

Well kids and I got Teak platform freshened up.  60 grit / 120 grit then 220 finish.  I’m no pro but happy with how it turned out and kids had fun helping

Got boat in water this weekend.  Ran great. Couple questions

reverse ?  Is a whining noise normal? Oil level is fine freshly changed 

Also Prop shaft dripping , kind of wondering what normal is. We were on water for 3 hours and kept checking it .  New to inboard so any feed back be great thanks 

ps this thing had my whole family grinning ear to ear.  Can’t wait to make memories all summer

7AB96697-20AB-4082-8B04-3A3959A55785.jpeg

C9188790-0CA7-400B-9E15-69F44585632B.jpeg

B2DD004A-ADB4-442B-AED4-39FB5DC97528.jpeg

Malibu's of this vintage have the whining noise in reverse....it's normal.

If the dripping is from the shaft packing, it should be a slow drip, assuming you have a typical rope seal.  2-3 drips/minute is normal as it keeps things cool.  More than that means the packing either needs replacement, or just a simple adjustment.  Lots of videos online on how to do it.

Looks awesome !  You'll need to re-oil the deck relatively soon, instead of using oil try Teak Sealer. I'm doing mine for the 2nd time... in about 5 years. Best thing ever. I love the sound of the whine in reverse. All the older inboards do it.

Saskboater

First of all, Congradulations on your new boat. I think this will suit your needs better than My DD Sunsetter you had contacted me about. 

The teak kit you are using is fine. I have used it on a number of my boats over many years. You just have to stay on top of it. 

Next time you decide to refurbish it don't sand it , you need a little grain in the wood for traction. especially when putting on a ski .

With  220 grit it looks pretty but it will be slippery when wet.

SaskBoater

Got out on the water for second time after work today.  Guages acted up. Fuel gauge showing nearly full and temp went from 160 to nearly red hot. Shut off, tried cycling key and guages didn’t sweep like I thought they all did. After getting boat home to garage . Everything working again.   Do I start at dash and pull guage and clean connections?  

i have videos but says files to BIG to attach. 

thanks I’m advance I’ll comb the site tomorrow I’m sure someone has had and fixed the same problem already

on the plus side kids and grandma went for a tube ride and only 1 other boat on the whole lake

Usually gauges ,or any electrics in boats, acting up is faulty earths. Locate the earth bar and clean the connections. That's the #1 fix. It's probably under dash and should be easy to find. Big brass bar with many screws into it holding wires.

#2 is loose connector. Unplug connectors, check condition and reconnect.    

#3 in boats this age is failing Medallion MMC/MMDC. It a bit of electronics that goes between the wiring and the gauges. Prone to solder failing. Sometimes can DIY repair, sometime not.

Edited by uk_exile
4 hours ago, uk_exile said:

Usually gauges ,or any electrics in boats, acting up is faulty earths. Locate the earth bar and clean the connections. That's the #1 fix. It's probably under dash and should be easy to find. Big brass bar with many screws into it holding wires.

#2 is loose connector. Unplug connectors, check condition and reconnect.    

#3 in boats this age is failing Medallion MMC/MMDC. It a bit of electronics that goes between the wiring and the gauges. Prone to solder failing. Sometimes can DIY repair, sometime not.

Don't forget to check the grounds on the engine block. 
I had one that would cause all kinds of gremlins when running do to a cracked ring terminal, but on the trailer everything was fine.