Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying 2000 Sunsetter VLX ooooor 98 LX

SaskBoater

Good morning, the wife and I have finally decided to pull the trigger on a boat. Bought a cabin couple years back have 2 young boys and we want on the water. We owned a 93 Mariah for a short stint, but looking for something that can surf/wakeboard/tube and general fun on the water.

boat 1: 2000 Sunsetter VLX: 675hrs second owner haS ALL the service records, mature owner seems very well cared for and gave me full history of the boat.  It is basically bone stock with 2 small fat sacs in rear and a tsunami hose/pump.  Has a tower not sure of make but it not the prettiest and racks are awful homemade looking things.  Original stereo, no wedge no Perfect Pass. Asking price just under 30K

boat 2: 1998 Sunsetter LX 923hrs , Roswell tower, wedge , stargazer PP, newer stereo with sub, some recovered seats, nice boards racks .  2 owners.  
Both have tandem trailers.  Both 8hr drive .  25K obo on the direct drive.

The VLX is getting a presale inspection done this week before we look at it Friday. Will include compression test. I’ve priced out PP, racks, floating wedge, stereo it adds up quick but my gut tells me we would like the v drive layout more.  LX owner seems more willing to negotiate on price.  VLX owner bout a 14 BU but at 58 has the money to sit and wait to get his price is my feeling.

any thoughts on which route to go would be appreciated.  Been loving this site so far

If budget allows, v-drive all the way. 

Even if you can't add everything you want right away, you will have a much better platform to enjoy and make your own for years to come. 

Wife says 30K is the limit. So that gets us the v drive paid in cash and yes that was my thoughts add a few things here and there, just seems like 10-15K could be spent fast adding ballast pumps/bags PP and stereo but if done slowly or look for used a person could keeps the upgrade cost down.  I already found a pair of used Roswell elite for $850cdn new up here for one is $700ish

Also not sure how to add pictures of the VLX.  I have some saved on my phone

Go with the 2000 VLX.  It's a great boat.  Add the perfect pass right awayAdd a bimini right away.  Depending on the tower I recommend towerbiminis.com.  Here's my '01 VLX.

post-153-1130715697_thumb.jpgpost-153-1146678359_thumb.jpg

For any kind of wake sport you must have a wedge in that boat.  Hopefully it does have the Wedge plate already and you just need the wedge added.  If not, then it can still be installed.  I've done a few.  It's not bad for a DIY'r.

Hold off completely on the stereo.  That's a $$$$ sink.  Honestly, that boat is so quiet compared to today's beasts.  For now just get something like a Kicker Bullfrog and jam to that in the cabin for a while till you decide what you want and how you want it.

Plan on a propeller upgrade soon.  Keep the existing one as a spare.  At the time an Acme 537 was the go to prop for that boat for me.  It did everything.  There might be a better prop choice now.  I don't know.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Go with the 2000 VLX.  It's a great boat.  Add the perfect pass right awayAdd a bimini right away.  Depending on the tower I recommend towerbiminis.com.  Here's my '01 VLX.

post-153-1130715697_thumb.jpgpost-153-1146678359_thumb.jpg

For any kind of wake sport you must have a wedge in that boat.  Hopefully it does have the Wedge plate already and you just need the wedge added.  If not, then it can still be installed.  I've done a few.  It's not bad for a DIY'r.

Hold off completely on the stereo.  That's a $$$$ sink.  Honestly, that boat is so quiet compared to today's beasts.  For now just get something like a Kicker Bullfrog and jam to that in the cabin for a while till you decide what you want and how you want it.

Plan on a propeller upgrade soon.  Keep the existing one as a spare.  At the time an Acme 537 was the go to prop for that boat for me.  It did everything.  There might be a better prop choice now.  I don't know.

+1 on this.

Perfect pass is a marriage saver.

Next on the list would be other items that allow it to perform better.

Last would be the speakers and creature comforts (like updating the interior).

We stick an old JBL Bluetooth speaker under the windshield. Works good enough for us. 

It had a Bimini already. Factory stereo with Bluetooth FM adaptor thing .  

I priced out PP stargazer wakeboard S edition looks like about $1300usd for that.

boat does have the 325 monsoon was hoping the v drive would be quieter than DD with motor in the middle???

just waiting to hear from the Malibu dealer on compression test etc… and I’ll be headed to look at it friday

Also not sure how to add pictures of the VLX.  I have some saved on my phone

7 hours ago, SaskBoater said:Also not sure how to add pictures of the VLX.  I have some saved on my phone

To add photos: 

a) become a paying member and post directly to the forum from your phone 

b) upload the photos to a cloud  like google photos or something and post the link to the thread using the chain link icon

I would go with the VLX. I think v-drive seating is a lot better and if you are going to surf it's the way to go. I have a 2001 Wakesetter VLX and it throws a really nice surf wave without a wedge (yes it would be a little bigger with the wedge, but for the price it's not a must in my option). You just have to weight the boat properly. I upgraded to 800# bags in the rear (got used online for cheap), a ski locker bag and lead upfront. Then just adjust people on your boat with here you need more weight. PP is also a must if you are going to surf or wakeboard.

I wouldn't worry about a big stereo, or a tower that isn't overly pretty. It's getting the job done for now and you can save some money and upgrade items as you go along and decide what's more important. 

If you look at some of my past post you can see some of the upgrades i've done. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Had a look at your posts jd8181,  looks like a good winter project . Once I get it home and in the heated shop I’ll see if There is time to tackle a small project. Sounds like Perfect Pass should be the first thing on my list.  I’ll have to research how hard that is to Install.  

Star Gazer wake edition S is the one to get?

On 4/18/2023 at 1:26 PM, SaskBoater said:

Had a look at your posts jd8181,  looks like a good winter project . Once I get it home and in the heated shop I’ll see if There is time to tackle a small project. Sounds like Perfect Pass should be the first thing on my list.  I’ll have to research how hard that is to Install.  

Star Gazer wake edition S is the one to get?

Yes that is what i would go with. 

The diamond hulls on these older boat throws a great wake. I think they can compete with a lot of newer boats. But it's some playing around with ballast, speed and setups to find the sweet spot. 

I have a 2001 sunsetter vlx with diamond hull, tower and wedge. I keep saying I’m going to add ballast bags but never have. I currently use people, the wedge, and a home made suck gate for surfing. Works decent enough for kids and up to 150 pound surfers. I’m a bit heavier so I don’t find going rope less surfing is as easy, but it’s still fun. I never got PP either. Would be nice though. One mod I did was to lightly clamp a piece of plastic about 1 inch long and.25 inch wide to the throttle cable around the dashboard area so it was easy to get to. It applies just a hair more friction from its pressure to the cable movement . This allows me to hold steady speed at 10.5 or 11 mph according to my speed phone app. It’s not the best but has worked well for the past 7 years. I Also agree that the v drive is the way to go. More room and better layout for family and friends. I only recreationally slalom ski and not much of it, but the wake is pretty smooth at 30mph and above. 

Congrats! You will enjoy it this summer.

When you get around to the various projects, keep us updated! 

I think you will be very happy with your purchase. You are buying more than the boat, you are buying service and previous owner. It's worth a lot more having all of those records and piece of mind. 

I indeed think the family will enjoy this new to us boat.  Just got a good feeling talking with owner and once meeting him get even better. The 98 owner was young only had it a couple years, booming stereo and PP aaand cheaper but in the end I think v drive and meticulous maintenance was the right choice.  Now I’m busy getting a list together of easy projects I can do before summer hits.

New gas shocks for hatches so they actually stay open

perko flush kit so I can listen to it purr in my shop ( not sure where best to install )

one latch is broken on rear storage locker.

new transom ratchets. Likely attach ones to the trailer  

Nice ride!!! I added my perko flush to the hose between the v drive and the raw water pump. I cut the hose with a hack saw and added the flush to the two pieces.    I got the flush without a remote hose hookup. I actually wish I had got one with a remote hook up. 

Edited by williemon
11 hours ago, williemon said:

Nice ride!!! I added my perko flush to the hose between the v drive and the raw water pump. I cut the hose with a hack saw and added the flush to the two pieces.    I got the flush without a remote hose hookup. I actually wish I had got one with a remote hook up. 

Might be an amateur question... but what is the benefit of installing this vs using a fake-a-lake? 

I’m pretty green at all this, but my reasoning is at 40 I don’t feel like crawling under my trailer to hook up fake a lake.  We have looooong Canadian winters and I’d like to easily be able to just spin a hose on in my shop and fire it up every month or 2 to move oil around engine.  Mainly just convenience I believe .   Would make putting antifreeze in easier as well

New toy to me I wanna hear it purr in the shop I walk by it everyday and just wanna turn her over lol

10 minutes ago, SaskBoater said:

I’m pretty green at all this, but my reasoning is at 40 I don’t feel like crawling under my trailer to hook up fake a lake.  We have looooong Canadian winters and I’d like to easily be able to just spin a hose on in my shop and fire it up every month or 2 to move oil around engine.  Mainly just convenience I believe .   Would make putting antifreeze in easier as well

New toy to me I wanna hear it purr in the shop I walk by it everyday and just wanna turn her over lol

You may have already figured this out, but the first priority is to keep the block from freezing or to winterize it.  Perhaps your shop is heated?  If you have fresh water cooling, adding antifreeze in the block is one way of winterizing the block, some add the antifreeze, others drain the water from the block completely.  

After wearing out two perko flush pros, I put something like this in the boat. 

The fake a lake systems are basically a plunger pushed onto the bottom of the hull, over the water pick-up. They leak, you gotta get under the boat, etc. The perko flush systems allow you to simply attach a garden hose to somewhere on the hull. No leaks, no getting under the boat. Much better.

Steve B.

• Like 1

Shop is most definitely heated. Infloor heat with 7inch concrete slab 👍🏻.  Temps in Sask reach -40F often so pretty fortunate to have a large space at 59F to store/work on stuff.   I just ordered Perko kit yesterday if in time it fails may have to look into something a little beefier like you have.

I noticed my boat doesn’t have a shut off for water intake is this something I should be doing at same time?

considering 2 spots to put the Perko

option 1 between water intake and Vdrive, is this best spot to then flush entire system, and “Descale” my lake is lil high in minerals . Maybe going overboard? But want as little problems as possible for our very short boating season up north

7B09A175-F21F-4829-AA47-7DCE0B35B98C.jpeg

On 4/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, jd8181 said:

I would go with the VLX. I think v-drive seating is a lot better and if you are going to surf it's the way to go. I have a 2001 Wakesetter VLX and it throws a really nice surf wave without a wedge (yes it would be a little bigger with the wedge, but for the price it's not a must in my option). You just have to weight the boat properly. I upgraded to 800# bags in the rear (got used online for cheap), a ski locker bag and lead upfront. Then just adjust people on your boat with here you need more weight. PP is also a must if you are going to surf or wakeboard.

I wouldn't worry about a big stereo, or a tower that isn't overly pretty. It's getting the job done for now and you can save some money and upgrade items as you go along and decide what's more important.

Wedge isn't for size on the SV23 hull, it is for push.  Hell, my wave looks nicer without the wedge but it is a night and day difference running it.  And I'm running a lot more weight than you.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:02 AM, jd8181 said:

The diamond hulls on these older boat throws a great wake. I think they can compete with a lot of newer boats. But it's some playing around with ballast, speed and setups to find the sweet spot. 

He has the wake hull, not the diamond hull.  On the SV23 Vdrive, the diamond was only on the 2001 Sunsetter VLX and 2002-2004 Sunscape 21LSV.  

19 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Wedge isn't for size on the SV23 hull, it is for push.  Hell, my wave looks nicer without the wedge but it is a night and day difference running it.  And I'm running a lot more weight than you.

He has the wake hull, not the diamond hull.  On the SV23 Vdrive, the diamond was only on the 2001 Sunsetter VLX and 2002-2004 Sunscape 21LSV.  

I’ve read lots and I believe I have the wakesetter hull, my minty brochure book says diamond but many on here have said otherwise.  I attached a couple shots from the rear if this helps.

either way there is no going back no just onwards and upwards haha

2164B0A0-0726-4AC8-AD25-E7DFA76F3F7C.jpeg

2BD2661C-EDA8-4146-A2A2-7B52C63E4D6D.jpeg

You are correct that is the wake hull. I've had/have both. Even up to about 31 or so mph I can't tell a difference. But at 32 and above the diamond is a flatter wake.

Steve B.