Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

State reg fee increases proposed

oldjeep

Saw this on the news today and posting it only because it cracks me up - what we pay in MN vs some other places.  So it looks like instead of $55 every 3 years that it might be $100-$130 every 3 years.  I can't recall the last time they raised the registration fees, been what they are now for as long as I can remember.

The proposed hikes, which would take effect after July 1, include:

Bumping the Minn. resident fishing license from $25 to $30

Raising the aquatic invasive species surcharge from $10 to $20

Increase boat registration fees, which are good for 3 years, by 78% to 143% depending on the size of the boat

Hiking state park daily fees from $7 to $10

Boosting state park season passes from $35 to $45

image.thumb.png.fedb978426f71f6f5b078e6e1f1394e7.png

3 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

I'd happily pay this every three years.  I currently pay over $430 every year in Indiana for my boat and trailer.

My boat and trailer are registered in Michigan.  I pay $116 every 3 years for boat registration.  Trailers in Michigan have a one time license plate fee that is reasonable.  I had to get a new license plate last year for my trailer because somebody stole it as it was sitting at my wife's parents property over the summer.  I believe that only cost me a little over $100 for the new plate.  Again, a one time fee unless somebody steals your plate and you have to get a new one.

Yeah, I guess I forgot about the $25? a year trailer plate.  Anything under 3K weight is one time fee.  But that is DPS (like every other vehicle/trailer) not DNR

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

I'd happily pay this every three years.  I currently pay over $430 every year in Indiana for my boat and trailer.

Curious, what is your state sales tax due on initial registration?

5 minutes ago, Jhucke said:

Curious, what is your state sales tax due on initial registration?

State sales tax is 7%.

@Hemmywish I had family in Michigan to be able to register the boat there.

2 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

That sounds more like the way car/truck registration works in MN.  You pay some amount that has some relationship to the depreciated value of the car/truck until x number of years and then it is a flat $35.

The difference here is that the DNR is not a taxing authority in MN, which is the same reason that you don't pay sales tax on private party boat sales here.

37 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

State sales tax is 7%.

@Hemmywish I had family in Michigan to be able to register the boat there.

The downside to a house in Michigan is the property tax is through the roof, especially if it is not your homesteaded.  Primary residence in Indiana and secondary is Michigan.  I know I have seen that the boat should be registered where you are using it or where it resides the most, maybe even like 70% of the time.  Can't remember where I saw that though.

TN boat registration fee was $87 for 3 years on my new one recently. We don't register boat trailer, it runs naked. Don't know why we get away with that but been that way for the 37 years I have been here.

Just be glad you're not registering in Washington State. We have to pay ~$30 plus a .5% excise tax based on the current market value of your boat. So, $100k boat = $500 extra to register yearly.

And you must register the trailer annually as well. 

Count your blessings. :) 

Just now, justgary said:

Perhaps some of us just vote better than others....

Agreed. I do my best but Seattle is just too much anymore...

20 hours ago, BvrGuy said:

Just be glad you're not registering in Washington State. We have to pay ~$30 plus a .5% excise tax based on the current market value of your boat. So, $100k boat = $500 extra to register yearly.

And you must register the trailer annually as well. 

Count your blessings. :) 

Don’t forget the RTA tax on the trailer too! 

7 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

And the 10% sales tax we paid on the boat and trailer the day we brought them home.

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

2 hours ago, rennis said:

And the 10% sales tax we paid on the boat and trailer the day we brought them home.

Luckily for me, it's only 8% Sales tax and no RTA tax in my neck of the woods. So at least there's that.   :Frustrated: