Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2023 Malibu and Axis Steering Recall

Taking a boat back to the dealer for warranty repairs, even recalls, is part the the boat owner's responsibility and that is very clear in the warranty statement.  Dealerships willing to accommodate anything other than that for the boat owner is definitely going above and beyond all reasonable expectations. 

20 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Taking a boat back to the dealer for warranty repairs, even recalls, is part the the boat owner's responsibility and that is very clear in the warranty statement.  Dealerships willing to accommodate anything other than that for the boat owner is definitely going above and beyond all reasonable expectations. 

Bingo!! This is truly how you know you are involved with a great dealer. I'm very fortunate that the dealership I work with consistently go above and beyond my expectations. This is what has sealed our relationship from a very early encounter. I've been told Malibu is expected to start shipping out the parts early to middle of next week. The guys at SurfNTurf, in Santa Fe New Mexico, are spot on!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, csleaver said:

Remember a few years ago when we had a recall for a fuel sending unit gasket and the boats were repaired at their location? Maybe loss of steering isn't as bad as a fuel leak. Not all boats are sitting on a trailer and ready to hook up and haul to a dealer. I can see several 2023 Malibus in slips from my dock.

In my opinion, the current Dometic steering recall (USCG 23MF0131) could be performed properly with the boat on the water according the the repair instructions provided.  If a dealer is willing or able to accommodate any boat owners that want the repair done while the boat is on the water for the half hour of labor being paid for the repair, then that is good all around. 

I still really don't personally agree with your opinion or the point you were trying to make, but I can respect it.  Unfortunately, customers are rarely given enough information to make a completely informed or rational decision about many things.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:01 PM, csleaver said:

In my opinion, the current Dometic steering recall (USCG 23MF0131) could be performed properly with the boat on the water according the the repair instructions provided.  If a dealer is willing or able to accommodate any boat owners that want the repair done while the boat is on the water for the half hour of labor being paid for the repair, then that is good all around. 

I still really don't personally agree with your opinion or the point you were trying to make, but I can respect it.  Unfortunately, customers are rarely given enough information to make a completely informed or rational decision about many things.

The current, and newest recall is an easy fix.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:04 AM, hethj7 said:

There may be some liability involved with a  do not operate recall.  I think they have to document the repair properly.   I may be wrong though.   

Repair must be completed by a Malibu dealer and submitted so they can report to the coast guard.

As this recall is on Dometic, and across multiple brands, they arent going to pay to transport boats or pay to send techs al over the country. That would get crazy expensive.

NorCalSurfer

I had the recall fixed today. It took about 15 minutes to do, if not less. 

The tech said that there are no known failures on an actual boat, that the issue was found in testing. They made it sound like a failure was very unlikely.

Anyways, its done and the maiden voyage is planned for this weekend. 

NorCalSurfer
2 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

What lake? Heading to nor cal in a few weeks. 

Folsom Lake. Water temp was about 67 though and lots of debris. It looks like we will be mid-80s next week. 

Just had my 23LSV in for the 10 hour service and nothing was mentioned by the dealer - sounds like I may have dodged this one!  80 degrees on the lake this weekend is outstanding (water is still in the low 50’s though…)

Got the steering recall completed in time for the amazing weekend on the lake, 10 hour service on Wednesday. 

@Figs, we are on Lake CDA as well if you ever need a surf buddy. 

On 5/2/2023 at 4:48 AM, CDAWake said:

Got the steering recall completed in time for the amazing weekend on the lake, 10 hour service on Wednesday. 

@Figs, we are on Lake CDA as well if you ever need a surf buddy. 

@CDAWake, we have a slip at Blackwell - it’s generally just the 2 of us on the boat - always looking for a surf buddy on the lake!  We are on the lake 5-7 days a week all summer.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2022 24MXZ and we just lost our steering last night on the lake and were stranded, not cool. Not sure if this is the same problem you all are having but it sucks, also since we’ve bought this boat last year it’s been back to the shop three times now trying to figure out why the boat keeps taking in water. The bilge pumps come on every 20-30 min and pump out about one gallon of water, not good. Just pulled the boat again to take it back into the shop, so hopefully they can get these things figured out really quick, summer just started.

• 4 months later...

Got an email on Friday, dropping the boat off tomorrow, apparently this is the new recall on the rack end of the cable.   The previous recall affected the output end of the cable.    My dealer has parts already and said it's a quick fix.   Dometic strikes again....

On 10/30/2023 at 2:23 PM, dizzygti said:

Got an email on Friday, dropping the boat off tomorrow, apparently this is the new recall on the rack end of the cable.   The previous recall affected the output end of the cable.    My dealer has parts already and said it's a quick fix.   Dometic strikes again....

And the dealership strikes again.    Not related to the recall directly but.....

Drop off on Wed. 31st at 7:30am.  "Yeah, we have the parts, should be a quick fix."

No contact 11/1.

I inquire on Fri 11/2 as the weekend looks like nice weather.   "It's on the tech's schedule for today, we'll let you know."  Come 4pm, no word, I call, it's not done, "we'll get it tomorrow and let you know."

Sat 11/3, I call at 1pm, leave a message, never hear back.    It was 76* and glorious on Saturday and Sunday, no surfing for me but did get the kayak's out.   

Mon 11/5, I call at 4pm, service advisor is off on Monday's, no one knows what's going on.   I drop by as it's on my way home from work.   

"Oh it looks like they finished whatever you brought the boat in for, but they found a recall on the steering cable."    :facepalm:

Tues 11/6 7:55am email "Good morning, we were shorted a few parts for your recall. I’m working right now to get them in my hands. I’ll keep you posted!"  :facepalm: again

Sigh.....

• Sad 2