Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2023 Malibu and Axis Steering Recall

NorCalSurfer

Has anyone else receive the certified mail notification of the recall on the steering column? Of course I just got back from the dealership when I was backing the boat into the garage and I had to sign for a letter from Malibu boats that my steering column is being recalled and that I should not operate my new boat before being fixed. I called the dealership and they said they are instructed to advise not using the boat until fixed and that there is no timing on parts being available. I was told the cabling could separate that the helm location. I was planning on the maiden voyage this weekend or next weekend. 

Did anyone else receive this notice or look into it? I wonder how serious it is or am I ok doing a simple firing up and testing of the boat without thousands of pounds of weight added?

46 minutes ago, NorCalSurfer said:

Has anyone else receive the certified mail notification of the recall on the steering column? Of course I just got back from the dealership when I was backing the boat into the garage and I had to sign for a letter from Malibu boats that my steering column is being recalled and that I should not operate my new boat before being fixed. I called the dealership and they said they are instructed to advise not using the boat until fixed and that there is no timing on parts being available. I was told the cabling could separate that the helm location. I was planning on the maiden voyage this weekend or next weekend. 

Did anyone else receive this notice or look into it? I wonder how serious it is or am I ok doing a simple firing up and testing of the boat without thousands of pounds of weight added?

Personally, I would go run the boat as long as you aren't loading it up with thousands of pounds of ballast as you mentioned you wouldn't.  I would go get get some break in hours in at lower rpms and not cut the wheel hard.  That's not an educated take on the situation, just what I would do.  I had my steering almost completely fail on my 2017 and I was still able to get back to the dock and load the boat on the trailer.  If you need break in hours on the motor I would say keep it mellow and go for it but again, I don't know the full extent of the issue.  Just what I would do with the information given.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
NorCalSurfer
21 minutes ago, Shea said:

Personally, I would go run the boat as long as you aren't loading it up with thousands of pounds of ballast as you mentioned you wouldn't.  I would go get get some break in hours in at lower rpms and not cut the wheel hard.  That's not an educated take on the situation, just what I would do.  I had my steering almost completely fail on my 2017 and I was still able to get back to the dock and load the boat on the trailer.  If you need break in hours on the motor I would say keep it mellow and go for it but again, I don't know the full extent of the issue.  Just what I would do with the information given.  

That is what I am thinking.

8 minutes ago, NorCalSurfer said:

That is what I am thinking.

Also, I drive through your area all the time to get to my in-laws house.  Would love to meet for a beer or a pull on the lake or both.  

NorCalSurfer
29 minutes ago, Shea said:

Also, I drive through your area all the time to get to my in-laws house.  Would love to meet for a beer or a pull on the lake or both.  

Let me know next time. I am 3 minutes from Folsom Lake. 

Oh, that is a bummer man. We get our boat next week, hopefully they send out the parts for the fix soon. I think I’ll break mine in as well while we wait. 

I received a call, from my dealer, last night on this recall. Turns out my boat is one of the effected boats. I know this because the last time I had it on the water my daughter and I noticed something funny with the steering. When pulling a rider out of the hole and in any kind of turn at this load setting, I noticed a strange shimmy in the steering column and a rattling noise coming from under the helm. From what I gathered from my dealer the fix is fairly straight forward, but he did stress that the boat should not be operated until fix has been completed. He mentioned total lose of steering control is a possibility. For those of you planning to put break in hours on your boat in this condition, be careful. We have about twenty five hours on the boat before this shimmy in the steering happened. 

US Coast Guard Recalls should not be taken lightly.  The term "recall" gets tossed around alot when something in a boat isn't working properly, but actual recalls are only issued when the failure could possibly cause injury or death. 

Set up an appointment to get the recall done as soon as possible and do not use the boat until it is completed. 

Is it a recall from Dometic for the retaining nut specifically? Was told they sent those letters out to so many boat owners who were not part of the list. Check with your dealer specifically with your vin number. Sent many owners into panic. 

NorCalSurfer
2 hours ago, TaylorM said:

I received a call, from my dealer, last night on this recall. Turns out my boat is one of the effected boats. I know this because the last time I had it on the water my daughter and I noticed something funny with the steering. When pulling a rider out of the hole and in any kind of turn at this load setting, I noticed a strange shimmy in the steering column and a rattling noise coming from under the helm. From what I gathered from my dealer the fix is fairly straight forward, but he did stress that the boat should not be operated until fix has been completed. He mentioned total lose of steering control is a possibility. For those of you planning to put break in hours on your boat in this condition, be careful. We have about twenty five hours on the boat before this shimmy in the steering happened. 

Dang that sucks. Do you know if the recall fix will still work on your boat as your showing problems?

We were supposed to pick up our new 23LSV this Saturday and that has been put on hold until the fix. Haven't heard anything about the parts availability, hope they show up soon. I'm ready to be on the water with our new boat.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm hearing there is an identifying mark that should be released soon. 

Also hearing many other brands of boats are affected as well.

Its a manufacture date range that is affected. 

2 hours ago, 06malibu said:

Its a manufacture date range that is affected. 

Exactly but may be easy identifying marks from assembly. Just relaying what I’m hearing. 

I’m currently waiting on my 25LSV because of this recall. They’ve had a 26LSV waiting for two weeks. Not sure what the realistic timeline is. 

On 4/5/2023 at 10:18 PM, Cole2001 said:

Is it a recall from Dometic for the retaining nut specifically? Was told they sent those letters out to so many boat owners who were not part of the list. Check with your dealer specifically with your vin number. Sent many owners into panic. 

The nut was from last year.

The most recent affects the steering block at the helm. 

Parts availability for this are out of Malibus control as its from the manufacturer, Dometic.

It affects almost every thing with a steering cable within a certain date range, not just Malibu, so dont feel singled out. 

My sources say that Malibu should have the repair parts sometime next week with any luck, and then start shipping them out to the dealers.

Edited by COOP
On 4/6/2023 at 5:47 AM, TaylorM said:

I’m still working through the solution with my dealer. It seems like it will be a pretty straight forward fix. I will post how this ultimately gets taken care of. Minor inconvenience at the moment. 
Here is a picture taken as sun is going down, because we all love pictures :thumbup:

3BAE7DD6-DBE6-4603-99A1-121EC8ACC4A2.jpeg

Its a crazy easy fix once you have the part, takes only a few minutes.

NorCalSurfer

I followed up with the dealership today. They said parts are expected on Tuesday or Wednesday. From there they were going to schedule the 15 or so of us affected. They said it’s a parking lot repair, that we would just wait for it to be done. 

6 hours ago, NorCalSurfer said:

I followed up with the dealership today. They said parts are expected on Tuesday or Wednesday. From there they were going to schedule the 15 or so of us affected. They said it’s a parking lot repair, that we would just wait for it to be done. 

IF this is the case, Malibu should be giving the option to have the repair done at the owners location. To have too bring all these boats back to a dealer and schedule a repair is nonsense. Not everyone is close to a dealer nor are some of them easy to bring back. 

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

IF this is the case, Malibu should be giving the option to have the repair done at the owners location. To have too bring all these boats back to a dealer and schedule a repair is nonsense. Not everyone is close to a dealer nor are some of them easy to bring back. 

There may be some liability involved with a  do not operate recall.  I think they have to document the repair properly.   I may be wrong though.