Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev 10 vs Rev 12

Five Cent Worth

Hey Fellas - we are kicking around the idea of moving up to a 25 LSV - mostly for the rear seats and freeboard (let my wife thinks what she wants if I get a bigger boat :yahoo:).  We like the idea of going blank on the tower vs the Rev 10's they have already installed.  I would like the groups thoughts on the sound quality on the factory Rev 10's (with whatever amp comes via factory) vs two sets of Rev 12's and with a Wetsounds Syn 2.3HP.  I would love a bit more 'thump' vs my Icons and the Rev 8's that our good friends have with the the same Wetsounds Syn 2.3HP amp.  

Disclaimer: we like our music, and have no issues hearing the Icon 8's at the tie up or surfing.  We would like more 'fuller' sound and are no experts here.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:48 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

Hey Fellas - we are kicking around the idea of moving up to a 25 LSV - mostly for the rear seats and freeboard (let my wife thinks what she wants if I get a bigger boat :yahoo:).  We like the idea of going blank on the tower vs the Rev 10's they have already installed.  I would like the groups thoughts on the sound quality on the factory Rev 10's (with whatever amp comes via factory) vs two sets of Rev 12's and with a Wetsounds Syn 2.3HP.  I would love a bit more 'thump' vs my Icons and the Rev 8's that our good friends have with the the same Wetsounds Syn 2.3HP amp.  

Disclaimer: we like our music, and have no issues hearing the Icon 8's at the tie up or surfing.  We would like more 'fuller' sound and are no experts here.

Rev10’s want at least 300w and can easily handle 400w. The factory amp won’t get you there. So highly recommend upgrading that amp if that’s the route you’re going. 

SynDx 2.3 HP is a solid amp for Rev10’s; I’ve used it in lieu of the factory amp several times. It will provide 300w per can (which is exactly what the Rev10 is rated for), and the nice part is you can re-use the factory speaker wire in the tower with this amp. 

SynDX 2.3 is not a good choice for Rev12’s, imho. The Rev12’s are rated for 400w. I’d rather feed them more power than that, not less. 

You’re gonna struggle finding ONE amp to power FOUR Rev12’s. Better to get two: either two SynDX 4’s (which will yield 400w per can) or two SYN 4’s (which will yield 585w per can). I’m doing the latter. But this approach will require new, dedicated runs of speaker wire to each of the four cans. 

• Like 1

Hi! I have a 2023 lsv that came with two rev 8. If i want a single set of rev 12's can i change out the factory amp for the SynDX 4 then bolt on the 12's in place of the 8's? is there anything else that would be needed?

9 hours ago, Gtbowles said:

Hi! I have a 2023 lsv that came with two rev 8. If i want a single set of rev 12's can i change out the factory amp for the SynDX 4 then bolt on the 12's in place of the 8's? is there anything else that would be needed?

You’ll need the wet sounds xhd adapter, and you’ll have to mount them to the side mounting point, not on a shelf (not sure how stock rev 8s come). I would reccomend powering with sdx4 amplifier. Depending on stock rev 8 wire gauge, I would run new wiring. You want 14ga. 

Regardless of supplied wattage, a larger mid-bass driver is going to deliver more mid-bass and deeper mid-bass.  A larger driver can also play louder then a smaller driver, even when the the two are driven with the same wattage. RMS is a target and PEAK rating is guide rails. Stay within and the speaker will perform to its potential and not blow. It does not mean a speaker will not sound good, unless you power with at least, its RMS. I would not poo-poo the idea if a single 600 x 2 @ 2 ohm amp powering 4 speakers.   

If the OEM wire gauge is 14ga and the amp wattage is going to be upgraded to an with an RMS if 400, 585 or 685, then 12ga for each pod, would be my suggestion. 

• Like 2
On 3/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, IXFE said:

Rev10’s want at least 300w and can easily handle 400w. The factory amp won’t get you there. So highly recommend upgrading that amp if that’s the route you’re going. 

SynDx 2.3 HP is a solid amp for Rev10’s; I’ve used it in lieu of the factory amp several times. It will provide 300w per can (which is exactly what the Rev10 is rated for), and the nice part is you can re-use the factory speaker wire in the tower with this amp. 

SynDX 2.3 is not a good choice for Rev12’s, imho. The Rev12’s are rated for 400w. I’d rather feed them more power than that, not less. 

You’re gonna struggle finding ONE amp to power FOUR Rev12’s. Better to get two: either two SynDX 4’s (which will yield 400w per can) or two SYN 4’s (which will yield 585w per can). I’m doing the latter. But this approach will require new, dedicated runs of speaker wire to each of the four cans. 

Rev10s, especially the new models with the upgraded internals, not sure if the malibu ones are those, can easily handle 500+W if tuned right

8 hours ago, CJAY said:

Rev10s, especially the new models with the upgraded internals, not sure if the malibu ones are those, can easily handle 500+W if tuned right

The Malibu ones are the regular rev series with Malibu branded cans, these are the original speaker that folks were sending 500+ watts to them. The HD’s are the new speakers!

15 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

The Malibu ones are the regular rev series with Malibu branded cans, these are the original speaker that folks were sending 500+ watts to them. The HD’s are the new speakers!

They can still do it, you just have to watch your gains on it.  The HDs are amazing, especially in the 12s.  I'd skip the malibu ones

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CJAY said:

They can still do it, you just have to watch your gains on it.  The HDs are amazing, especially in the 12s.  I'd skip the malibu ones

Yep! I ran 2 pair of rev 12’s last year at 500w each can. 

Picked up another set and changing amps up this year and will be running each can around 700w this year. 

They have been great, aside from the cracked housing issues I have had, hopefully that is fixed as I was sent replacements. But they sound amazing. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Yea, trying to manage the factory Rev 10 w/ amp vs two sets of Rev 12HD's and with a Wetsounds Syn 2.3HP.  From everything above, it feels like it would be better, even slightly under the RMS.

As mentioned previously they (2 pair of rev 12) can be properly powered with 2 syndx4’s or 2 sdx4’s. Is there any reason as to why you are wanting to only give them 300? 

As mentioned previously the rev speakers perform well at rms, but they really show out when tuned properly  over rms. 

Edited by Brandonloos21
11 minutes ago, Stevo said:

What tower are you going with and mounting brackets are available for either the G5/GX

Do you know if the g5 adapters work for gx?

22 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Do you know if the g5 adapters work for gx?

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear, I was asking what rev12 brackets or adapters are available or work with either tower G5/GX

11 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear, I was asking what rev12 brackets or adapters are available or work with either tower G5/GX

Ah gotcha! I was wondering if maybe you and @Davidcracked the code for gx yet. 

As for g5, I used Malibu gx adapters along with xhd mount for top and bottom, on bottom I also used dxt 2” spacing bracket to drop the lower pair 2”. 

10 hours ago, Stevo said:

To my knowledge, the OEM pods and the consumer level pods both use a typical 2.5" bolt hole spread with wire hole in the center. So for a direct mount application, like the OM pods, you would just need a taller spacer to accommodate for the recessed mounting perch on the consumer HD pods. 

Let me add this. On one of these towers, or possibly both, to go with a larger pod then what Malibu offers, you need to use an offset adapter like when doing four large pods on an illusion tower. 

Edited by MLA