Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf system GSA vs. Evolution

burider

I’m look at adding a surf system for this summer. Both GSA and the evolution tabs system look like they’ll do the trick. GSA is about $1,400 more but comes with automation. Anyone out there looked at both of these? Which way did you go and why? For those who bought GSA, is the automation worth the extra coin? This is for an 07 247.

The controller for GSA is very user friendly for ease of use and fine tuning the wave. As well, there is a lot more engineering behind their tabs. If I were spending the money that would be the route I would go. 

I have infinity on my 2011. Best mod I have ever installed. I don't think the differance in tabs would be noticable its the better controller that your paying for. I can't picture how my surf wave could be any better with evolution vs infinity. 

Rob Andrus who makes evolution rehabs Malibu’s for sale specifically with his evolution.  if i owned a malibu of any generation i would use him because of the reference book he actually is.  he even eliminated surfgate on an m235 and installed his tabs

I have Evolution and have used GSA on other builds. I opted for Evolution because I wanted to be able to use the tabs for other activities like skiing, kneeboarrding for the littles, and to level the boat when cruising. I was surprised at how often I use them, every time I'm in the boat. They are so versatile. I can't say if they are better for surfing than GSA because I can't doe a side by side, but I love the wave on my 23 LSV and would have no issue putting Evolution on another boat. I also built the controller on WakeGarage.com and it works flawlessly together. One touch surf control plus the ability to adjust on the fly AND when the system is not on. I'm looking at adding a steering wheel trim paddle kit to make it even easier to adjust on the fly. Evolution is arguably the best all around system.

11 minutes ago, St. Ellis said:

I have Evolution and have used GSA on other builds. I opted for Evolution because I wanted to be able to use the tabs for other activities like skiing, kneeboarrding for the littles, and to level the boat when cruising. I was surprised at how often I use them, every time I'm in the boat. They are so versatile. I can't say if they are better for surfing than GSA because I can't doe a side by side, but I love the wave on my 23 LSV and would have no issue putting Evolution on another boat. I also built the controller on WakeGarage.com and it works flawlessly together. One touch surf control plus the ability to adjust on the fly AND when the system is not on. I'm looking at adding a steering wheel trim paddle kit to make it even easier to adjust on the fly. Evolution is arguably the best all around system.

I hadn’t considered the other benefits of the tabs outside of surfing, but the multi sport versatility would be great along with the ability to level while underway. Do you use the EVO joystick?

No I don't. I use toggles.  Using the controller on WakeGarage is awesome for operating as a surf system. Then I worked some additional toggles in to operate independently of the surf system. There are cheaper versions of this one from Isotta but same idea.

image.png.c48014ebd12f09095c8aac7be2511654.png

I think the answer is very simple - Evolution.  $3200 w/ Joystick controller right now vs $4600.  Mind you, there can be sales on both, but even the best sale for GSA (typically Black Friday), won't close the gap that much.  Even adding a DIY controller will not make a huge difference.  

GSA used to be the answer until they lost the patent infringement lawsuit to Malibu, which was clearly due to them having their product as an OEM offering for MB Sport.  Evolution will likely avoid that unless they become an OEM provider, then their price will go up significantly as well.  

4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I think the answer is very simple - Evolution.  $3200 w/ Joystick controller right now vs $4600.  Mind you, there can be sales on both, but even the best sale for GSA (typically Black Friday), won't close the gap that much.  Even adding a DIY controller will not make a huge difference.  

You also have to remember that the evolution is not a automated controller like GSA.

Evolution is just a trim tab switch. 

But also, GSA will not allow the system to be deployed over 17mph. So if you are trying to use them as trim tabs also it won't work. 

I installed evo tabs with the joystick on an 06 23 LSV. I liked the color match evo offers, but didn’t really care for the joystick.  If I was to do it again I would go with an automated system or use the standard switches with evo. With the joystick it was pretty much impossible to do solid transfers.  Also to get evo tabs to work you have to completely slam your boat in the rear w/1100 lb fat sacks on each side, then add lead bags throughout the cabin as well.  I found the boat to be very difficult to maneuver/steer and would take water over the nose from all the other wake boats around. The tabs pretty much convinced me if I wanted to surf to go ahead and buy a real surf boat ;)

1eb83mql.jpg

Trim tabs needs to be a certain size to create a wave regardless of boat size. But on a smaller boat they end up creating a lot more than desirable lift in the rear, meaning you need to add a lot more weight than running with a gate or listed. Personally I find GSA does a better job using the hook in the tabs and redirecting the water on a lighter boat, vs more of a centurion style tab which is primarily weight focused.  Hence why a suck gate system or automated gate works so well on a smaller boat. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

you know whats even cheaper?  just switch from surfing to FOILING :)   no tabs required, huge playground on the waves...but definitely invest in a helmet when you are learning LOL

Edited by CaptainMorgan
On 3/30/2023 at 4:06 PM, anutami said:

Also to get evo tabs to work you have to completely slam your boat in the rear w/1100 lb fat sacks on each side, then add lead bags throughout the cabin as well.  I found the boat to be very difficult to maneuver/steer and would take water over the nose from all the other wake boats around.

I don't completely agree with this. I have a 2004 23LSV and while I did some custom work to the floor/sub-floor to stuff more weight into it, I don't have much more than your boat with 1100's plus four hard tanks. I don't add anything additional with lead bags or extra sacks and I have a great wave, obviously this is subjective. Sure it could be bigger, longer, whatever, but it's a great wave and since I don't add additional anything, I don't worry about dipping the bow. It's proven that tabbed boats require more weight than gated boats, but one doesn't have to slam it to get a great wave. 

1 hour ago, St. Ellis said:

I don't completely agree with this. I have a 2004 23LSV and while I did some custom work to the floor/sub-floor to stuff more weight into it, I don't have much more than your boat with 1100's plus four hard tanks. I don't add anything additional with lead bags or extra sacks and I have a great wave, obviously this is subjective. Sure it could be bigger, longer, whatever, but it's a great wave and since I don't add additional anything, I don't worry about dipping the bow. It's proven that tabbed boats require more weight than gated boats, but one doesn't have to slam it to get a great wave. 

I’m currently running the 1100 piggyback with 4 factory ballast. I was hoping to leave it at that and avoid bags on the seats. The wife won’t be happy losing seating or more storage than I’ve already taken.

• 3 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, burider said:

I’m currently running the 1100 piggyback with 4 factory ballast. I was hoping to leave it at that and avoid bags on the seats. The wife won’t be happy losing seating or more storage than I’ve already taken.

Well how did your setup work?? Was it enough weight or did you have to add more??

I ask because I installed GSA on my 08 23LSV. I have the 910 piggy backs in either side, the stock centre tank (500lbs) and the power wedge. No bow tank. 

The wave looks great but I have NO push. Played around with speed and weight and power wedge which did not improve. I had way more push when I just used to list the boat. 

Any input would be appreciated.

I haven’t pulled the trigger just yet, got busy and just rolled with the mission delta I’ve been using. Automating is still on the horizon. That’s disappointing to hear you lost push. Likely bow weight won’t help that problem. What speed are you running?

18 hours ago, Johnny_v said:

Well how did your setup work?? Was it enough weight or did you have to add more??

I ask because I installed GSA on my 08 23LSV. I have the 910 piggy backs in either side, the stock centre tank (500lbs) and the power wedge. No bow tank. 

The wave looks great but I have NO push. Played around with speed and weight and power wedge which did not improve. I had way more push when I just used to list the boat. 

Any input would be appreciated.

I am not 100% sure about the 23LSV, but if my memory serves correctly, the GSA tab deployment needed is only 6-8 degrees on that hull. Might be worth measuring deployment angles to see where you are at.

My experience with my 247 and GSA is that I needed to run a 675lb bow bag to really get the push that I wanted. I have 1100s in the rear, center tank full, no factory bow tank, just the 675 on the front seats. If I have a really big crew, I almost need more bow weight, but I would just drain a little out of the rear instead. My wedge is usually all the way down, but if I am light on crew, I can add more wedge to get a little bit bigger wave. 10.8-11.2mph.

My initial suggestion would be to add bow weight and see if you get the push you want. Also wouldn't hurt to talk with GSA and see if they have any hull specific suggestions.

• 3 months later...

Well it’s coming up on Black Friday and time to make the decision. Anyone use these tabs to level out and clean up the wakeboarding wake? Does it create wash or can you adjust and improve the wake with a trim tab? Trying to weigh the upside of evolution.