Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to reattach amp wall inside battery compartment?

southernfried

2011 VLX, my amp wall recently fell. was looking behind the false wall and noticed a small 2" or so "hump" going along the side of the wall inside the battery compartment. is that where the screws go in? just want to make sure i don't screw a hole in the side of the boat. this isn't the pic of my boat, will try and get it later today if needed but just wanted to double check before i put new screws in to hold it up.

in the picture, the red marked area is what the "hump" looks like even though it's not pictured in this picture. 

21623831.png

I have an older boat (08) but my panel isn't secured to anything, it just lays against the hull. That's the way I've seen most of them, if not all. That hump your referring to, there's a good chance that lines up with the hull indentation on the outside. I wouldn't be putting any screws into that. 

I’d second that. The fiberglass and gel isn’t that thick there. If you’d really like to get a measurement, take off one of your cleats (mine came off easy). 

you could potentially put a “t-nut” onto a small block of HDPE and glass that into the inside of the hull. I wouldn’t count on it being a “forever hold”, but might give you enough of a hold to keep the board in place against the hull. 

you can usually see an example of this setup if you crank your neck around and see how they attach the wiring running under the gunnels. 

That long strip is the strip to attach the amp board. If you pull back the carpet if it hasn’t already pulled away you will see where it is glassed onto the side of the hull. I had so many radio/electrical issues with that board on my 2010 that I finally used 2 hanger bolts screwed into the strip to attach the amp board on my 2010. It made it super easy to pull and diagnose stuff. That way all I had to do was hang the board on the studs and tighten on the nuts. No more hoping I hit the same hole or the hull. JM2C 

Edited by wdr
Clcl

It hurts to post a picture of this, but here's my first amp board off my 2001 Sunsetter VLX like 19 years ago.  I put some ghetto fence hinges on the bottom where it was safe to drill so I could pull the board away from the wall and mess with cables and stuff easier without it flopping all of the place.  It also secured the bottom.  Behind it since this boat did not have a furring strip or something to screw into like later boats I got creative.  I found the strongest construction adhesive I could.  Then I cut some 2x2's so that they had the right chamfers to fit against the hull and the board (with the board about 4" from the hull).  I put some hanger bolts into one end of the 2x2's and drilled holes in the amp board to take the threaded ends.  Then I glued them in place, leaned the board against them for pressure and let it cure.  THEN, I came back and put some glass and resin on them at the base where it met the hull.  In 2016 I sold the boat and that amp board was still fine and secure.  The hinges were beginning to corode though.

image.thumb.png.5e6e65e5a16a5eb89013751fe4c3d0ef.png