Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to buy used v-drive

leugie

I own 2 older Malibu direct drives and want to add a vdrive, would like to stay away from the touch screens if possible, not opposed to an older well cared for boat, any recommendations would be welcomed, also want to stay under 22ft. Great site by the way. 

What are you looking to do with it?  There are a bunch of good options in the 20-21 foot range.  I'd start with a 2001 VLX and start working up in the years from there.

I have absolutely zero complaints with my 03 Wakesetter VLX. Simple to maintain and work on, puts up a great wakeboard wake and the best surf wave of any boat that vintage I have ridden behind. Having a nearly bulletproof small block Chevy in them is super nice also, my good buddy has 2500hrs on his small block in a Sanger V210 with nothing other than regular maintenance.

I agree with UWskier, any of the early 2000’s that haven’t been abused would be ideal.

13 hours ago, UWSkier said:

What are you looking to do with it?  There are a bunch of good options in the 20-21 foot range.  I'd start with a 2001 VLX and start working up in the years from there.

:plus1:

The only two things that were going progressively wrong with my 2001 VLX (I still miss it every summer) was the vinyl was developing the bleed through from the glue in lots of places that was an eyesore.  That was fixable though with new skins.  The big one was that the hull had slowly over time spread out so much that the windshield hatch had to close nearly a 1.5" gap at the frame.  It almost couldn't.  That was making me nervous enough that I eventually upgraded.  If I ever see it up for sale again though I might just buy it back.

• 2 months later...