Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Time Buyer Questions - Used 25LSV

tlisotta

First post.  Sorry if these q's have been asked before.  I love these forums - such a wealth of knowledge so thanks in advance.  Want to make sure I am thinking about this the right way based on my requirements:

Family of 4.  12 and 9 year old boys.  We ride dirt bikes in the winter/spring and I want to get them out of the house in the summer.  Away from Playstation (don't get me started).  Spent years at Texhoma (Family had boats) as a kid and we go there now and rent pontoons.  We are looking at getting a Docko (basically a floating condo on water) at one of the marinas.  Near the marina is a very big cove that is smooth even in windier conditions - Grand Pappy/Eisenhower side of the lake.  However, we would like to occasionally take a trip across the lake (big lake) and want the smoothest wake surf boat we can get.  I have read great things about the Centurion Ri265 on surf and how it handles the bigger lakes.  I called Tommy's and their point was stick with what the dealers around here are selling and servicing.  Looks like the only Centurion dealer is further away in Ft Worth.  I am in Frisco, Tx - Tommy's is in Lewisville (20 mins away). The lake is about an hour away.  Tommy's will service the boat at the lake and/or drive the boat back for like $200 if it needs service.  They will also store the trailer for me.  Sounds like a no brainer sticking with Malibu if that is the most prevalent in my area?  Sounds like the 25 LSV still performs well in rough water from what I have read on here?  My thought based on budget ($135 - $140K) is try and get a 2019?  I am watching the used market and not in a hurry.  Would like something for the summer and I realize not the best time to buy bc it is boating season - but I am patient.  They made some changes in 2019 vs 2018 - correct?  What is the most hours you would buy on a used boat?  What are the must have options on the 25 LSV?  I know it depends on how much you use it, etc.  I have a buddy that bought a 23 LSV I have been on and surfed.  I was impressed.  I want to teach kids and wife to surf and I am sure kids will want to tube and they did like playing around on knee board.  

Thanks Again!

Edited by tlisotta

I would recommend the 2022+ version of the 25 over the 2017-2021 for big lake rough water. I just upgraded from a 17 last year and the was impressed with the rough water handling.

granted the 2017 version I had was still the 3 piece construction, vs the 2018+ 2 piece, the 2022 is deeper and handles better.

granted that puts a wrench in your budget, but the rough water ride was a noticeable difference. 

B6A4C393-449C-4A44-9321-13F012093FE6.jpeg

Edited by Stevo

Yes, 2019 is the new hull and then again in 2022.   A 2019 should be in your budget and is a great performer.  They should all have come standard with the M6 engine which performs well in that boat.   The 2020 is the same hull but has the updated helm screen and OS.  My 2019 handled pretty similar to my 2022 in chop.   The 2019 was much more of a step change in design as compared to the 2018 and older hull.  

Must have options are subjective - the 3rd pair of cleats is really nice on the larger boats.   Folks love the flip down swim step.  Either tower option is fine although the Gx is best if you need to lower routinely for storage.  Even a “basic” 25 LSV will functionally serve your needs.  Heaters, docking lights, swim lights, etc etc are all options but when looking used probably not a deal breaker.  

Most folks here will say don’t worry too much about hours when buying used.  It is more about how well it was cared for.  

• Like 2

+1 for going with a local dealer, makes life much easier as most boats need some TLC now and again.

may be worth crawling around an Axis vs Malibu to see if the difference in features matters to you -- for example, a new Axis T250 would have giant wave, 5yr warranty, and you could add/select every color/option exactly as desired and still be in budget.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments!  Will see what a '22 comes in at but prob out of price range.   Great to hear about the 2019.  Sounds like I have some options.  As far as Axis - was curious and will check out it out.

Edited by tlisotta

We have a 22 25LSV and spend the majority of our time on Texoma. Very pleased with the 25’s big lake performance. We opted for the LT4, and, while the boat doesn’t need it, it’s the first box I would check.

If you’re not comfortable jumping to the $200K price point, I second @CaptainMorgansuggesting the T250. Great size and performance minus the creature features and I’m guessing you can equip it with the LT4 while staying in budget.

I have a very loaded T250 with lt4 and you can get new a for a little over your budget . Couple things push it over your budget like second set of clamping racks , triple axle trailer , sound pack 3, cut those back and you’re right there . That was on a 22 so prices are up a few points . 

4 hours ago, DFW said:

We have a 22 25LSV and spend the majority of our time on Texoma. Very pleased with the 25’s big lake performance. We opted for the LT4, and, while the boat doesn’t need it, it’s the first box I would check.

If you’re not comfortable jumping to the $200K price point, I second @CaptainMorgansuggesting the T250. Great size and performance minus the creature features and I’m guessing you can equip it with the LT4 while staying in budget.

Perfect.  Texhoma boater :).  Is the LT4 only on the 22 and up version as far as the LSV?  If I go 2019 does the M6 have more than enough power?  Most of time we would have 4 passengers total.  Sometimes 6 and maybe 8 rarely.  I realize after researching the Lt4 is quite and perhaps better fuel efficient?

2 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

I have a very loaded T250 with lt4 and you can get new a for a little over your budget . Couple things push it over your budget like second set of clamping racks , triple axle trailer , sound pack 3, cut those back and you’re right there . That was on a 22 so prices are up a few points . 

Thanks - I will definitely look into it as the dealer I am talking to sells both.  

Bummer.  Really want the flip down swim step - I think that is a must.  Was excited about price point of a used 2022 T250 but for me - back to the 25 LSV

19 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

+1 for going with a local dealer, makes life much easier as most boats need some TLC now and again.

This for sure.  If you go with Bu, or someone else, just be sure you aren't trying to save $3k and then having to drive your boat +500 miles for service.  Build the relationship with your dealer - it will pay off.  Buying a boat isn't like buying your wife a new SUV every few years.  You'll need the dealer at some point.

Keep us posted.  Really enjoy these types of threads.  :cheers:

45 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

This for sure.  If you go with Bu, or someone else, just be sure you aren't trying to save $3k and then having to drive your boat +500 miles for service.  Build the relationship with your dealer - it will pay off.  Buying a boat isn't like buying your wife a new SUV every few years.  You'll need the dealer at some point.

Keep us posted.  Really enjoy these types of threads.  :cheers:

• Thanks!  Yep - dealer will store the trailer for free, fix boat at my marina and/or trailer it back for me.  No need to buy a truck to pull it :).  My buddy did same thing from this dealer.  Going today and tomorrow to look at the docko’s at Texhoma so need to nail down that first :)
1 hour ago, tlisotta said:

Bummer.  Really want the flip down swim step - I think that is a must.  Was excited about price point of a used 2022 T250 but for me - back to the 25 LSV

I dont have it, but love the flip step idea. Wish axis would make it an option but not surprised Malibu keeps that as a carrot for stepping up to the premium brand. 

Fortunately when at full ballast, the swim step is usually at water level (or submerged), so getting in/out is pretty easy regardless. 

15 hours ago, tlisotta said:

Perfect.  Texhoma boater :).  Is the LT4 only on the 22 and up version as far as the LSV?  If I go 2019 does the M6 have more than enough power?  Most of time we would have 4 passengers total.  Sometimes 6 and maybe 8 rarely.  I realize after researching the Lt4 is quite and perhaps better fuel efficient?

The M6 is adequate power in the 22 and up 25LSV, especially at lower elevations. Only high altitude boaters actually “need” the supercharged motor.

After 100hrs with an LT4 I can say the following: 

It burns less fuel than the Raptor 450 in my 17 24MXZ did.

It’s quiet.

Our 25LSV loves weight. More crew = better wave. The LT4 surfs at 2800rpm, give or take, regardless of crew size.

It’s fast. We can run from Highport to Buncome Creek or Grandpappy or the dam at 35mph effortlessly. I’ve had it up to 50mph with a little room to spare 😳, 40mph is our practical max. As you know, a pleasant day on Texoma is wind and traffic dependent, the ability dump the tanks and find another spot relatively quickly has saved more than one afternoon on the lake.

The LT4 cost me 6% of the purchase price. For a toy like this, that’s a no brainer. IMO, if 6% was a consideration on this type of purchase, I’m shopping the wrong price range. That said, we did trade away some options like clamping racks and flip down seats to absorb some of the price premium.

Bottom line for me, the LT4 in a 22 and up 25LSV makes a very good boat just that much better.

On the used market for previous generations of supercharged 25LSV’s, I think you will find 575 Raptors with later models having LT4’s.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

I dont have it, but love the flip step idea. Wish axis would make it an option but not surprised Malibu keeps that as a carrot for stepping up to the premium brand. 

Fortunately when at full ballast, the swim step is usually at water level (or submerged), so getting in/out is pretty easy regardless. 

That makes sense.  Could be an option

4 hours ago, DFW said:

The M6 is adequate power in the 22 and up 25LSV, especially at lower elevations. Only high altitude boaters actually “need” the supercharged motor.

After 100hrs with an LT4 I can say the following: 

It burns less fuel than the Raptor 450 in my 17 24MXZ did.

It’s quiet.

Our 25LSV loves weight. More crew = better wave. The LT4 surfs at 2800rpm, give or take, regardless of crew size.

It’s fast. We can run from Highport to Buncome Creek or Grandpappy or the dam at 35mph effortlessly. I’ve had it up to 50mph with a little room to spare 😳, 40mph is our practical max. As you know, a pleasant day on Texoma is wind and traffic dependent, the ability dump the tanks and find another spot relatively quickly has saved more than one afternoon on the lake.

The LT4 cost me 6% of the purchase price. For a toy like this, that’s a no brainer. IMO, if 6% was a consideration on this type of purchase, I’m shopping the wrong price range. That said, we did trade away some options like clamping racks and flip down seats to absorb some of the price premium.

Bottom line for me, the LT4 in a 22 and up 25LSV makes a very good boat just that much better.

On the used market for previous generations of supercharged 25LSV’s, I think you will find 575 Raptors with later models having LT4’s.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!  Will look at all option at dealer.  

My 2019 with M6 was great up to 4000 feet elevation.  

I would not worry about hours unless over 1000 hours.  I would worry about 100 hours on a boat that looks like the engine has never seen a dealer since it was sold.  

Good call on developing a good relationship with the dealer. 

I felt the 2019 handled chop very nicely.  My Centurion Ri237 is a noticeable step better, but when the water is that rough, I am just trying to escape it no matter what boat I am in.  

I am going to go against the grain of what has been said so far and say the fold down step is one of the last options I would look for.  I would only do it if you have folks who are limited in their physical capacity with you regularly.    I don't think it was an option in 19.  

5 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

My 2019 with M6 was great up to 4000 feet elevation.  

I would not worry about hours unless over 1000 hours.  I would worry about 100 hours on a boat that looks like the engine has never seen a dealer since it was sold.  

Good call on developing a good relationship with the dealer. 

I felt the 2019 handled chop very nicely.  My Centurion Ri237 is a noticeable step better, but when the water is that rough, I am just trying to escape it no matter what boat I am in.  

I am going to go against the grain of what has been said so far and say the fold down step is one of the last options I would look for.  I would only do it if you have folks who are limited in their physical capacity with you regularly.    I don't think it was an option in 19.  

Thanks for the tips!  Do you feel the step down messes with the wake?  Most opinions say no.  Reason I was looking for it is bc Mom and Dad will be with us some and they are early 80s.  They are in good shape physically but a bit of a struggle getting in and out for them I am sure.  

13 hours ago, tlisotta said:

Thanks for the tips!  Do you feel the step down messes with the wake?  Most opinions say no.  Reason I was looking for it is bc Mom and Dad will be with us some and they are early 80s.  They are in good shape physically but a bit of a struggle getting in and out for them I am sure.  

Here is my '19 with the step.

A) it doesn't mess with the wave at all (we are on our second with the step) & B) I have yet to hear someone say they got it and wouldn't get it the next time.  I mean, every manufacture is putting some sort of this on due to consumer demand.

IMG_0515.jpg

Same story here. This is the go to platform for the wives to hang out on early in the year when the water is too cold to… 🙄

It also somewhat justifies the expense of the rear camera to make sure it is stowed before you get underway. :Doh:

2 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Here is my '19 with the step.

A) it doesn't mess with the wave at all (we are on our second with the step) & B) I have yet to hear someone say they got it and wouldn't get it the next time.  I mean, every manufacture is putting some sort of this on due to consumer demand.

IMG_0515.jpg

38 minutes ago, wdr said:

Same story here. This is the go to platform for the wives to hang out on early in the year when the water is too cold to… 🙄

It also somewhat justifies the expense of the rear camera to make sure it is stowed before you get underway. :Doh:

Thank you both!  I think it is requirement for us as well.  

Re: the swim step ... I would agree with @TallRedRider BUT it depends.  Some people love fancy trailers b/c they trailer (mine sits in the garage).  Some people love the step b/c they spend all day on the water, but I only go out to surf and then hang out at the dock.  We (me and my 3 teen age boys) have never used the step.  Would I buy it again? Yes b/c of resale.  Some options are based on how you use it but some make sense when it comes time to sell (which I do often).  

I am sincerely surprised there is push back on the value of the swim step.  Our boat is way too old to have it but we have friends with a Cobalt with the platform and my wife loves it.  For me it would be a requirement on a new boat, but it isn't enough of an enticement to buy a new boat.

18 hours ago, tlisotta said:

That is exactly why I got it on mine and I wouldn't ever do a boat without it again.  They've earned the right to not have to roll out onto my platform at this point.  No noticeable impact to wake for me.