Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 sunsetter

2001sunsetter99

2001sunsetter99

Hello I have a 2001 sunsetter that is need of the seats redone I was told this is place to ask . The foam is all good just covers are weathered thanks

Hi, obviously this would depend on where you are located. I would suggest you go to a local upholstery shop and make sure they use "marine grade" vinyl. We re-did our back 3 on a 2011 VLX this year and it cost us $550 CDN. 

12 minutes ago, Jgf042 said:

Hi, obviously this would depend on where you are located. I would suggest you go to a local upholstery shop and make sure they use "marine grade" vinyl. We re-did our back 3 on a 2011 VLX this year and it cost us $550 CDN. 

Wow. That wouldnt get ya one skin around here.

If you want to remove and install the new skins yourself, then copycat vinyl is an option.  I had good luck with them.  Lots of videos on how to do it online...just make sure you use stainless or monel staples.

2001sunsetter99

Ok thanks can you get full kit for all of the seats from copycat. I can't sseamto find there site

The way it works is you remove your old skins, even if they are torn/damaged.  They take the old skins and will duplicate them by making a pattern.  If you want to keep the same colors they will match as best as possible.  If you want to use new colors or patterns or whatever you spec that with them.  If you take a picture and give dimensions they will give you a quote via email.  You'll have to pay for shipping each way.

Removing skins is quite simple.  A local shop can install the new ones if you're not comfortable installing them yourself.  I have installed 6 skins over the years and it's not incredibly difficult, but you'll want to watch plenty of videos and maybe practice on something first.  You'll also want an air or power stapler and definitely use stainless or monel staples.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I also have a 2002 ss lxi.  I had the 3 piece back seat bottom converted into 1 piece as it kept falling in when stepped on.  Way better this way.  I also had the rear deck vinyl replaced.  Both by local shop.  It is a 95% match.  I wanted to ge5 the skins from Gabe, but figured the modified seat bottom would be a challenge to get right remotely.

my motor cover and the rear seat back had some small tears in them, but the vinyl was fine otherwise.  Instead of replacin* I found a guy to repair them.  I’m the only person who can see where repairs were done, and it was way cheaper than new skins.  Just a suggestion if you have small holes/tears in otherwise good skins.