Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2023 price increases

555nova

So we put our deposit down November 12th and the boat price was $97,xxx. Last weekend we finalized our order for the build and boat price jumped to $103,775. I said putting down the deposits should have locked in our price and the salesmen said his hands were tied and he couldn’t do anything about it… I really want the boat or I would have walked away and still might. Anyone know if Malibu really raised the price regardless of the deposit?

I’m almost positive the increase applied to any boat built after Jan 1. I had the same issue when I when I was considering ordering a new lsv . I cannot comment on the delta you’re noting , on my lsv it was less than 10k I thought . That was on a msrp that was approaching 300. I think the increase was on base price or something. So, yes there was a price increase the 1st of the year and I was told it was coming like in October or so 

Yes, there was a price increase for any boats produced after Jan 1 and dealers weren’t given any price protection for deposits already taken. Some dealers have absorbed some or all of the change, but most have passed it on and dealt with the frustrated customers.

I’m almost positive Malibu/axis websites said no price increase on 2022 and 2023 boats when we ordered ours…..It’s not like $7k is inconsequential. I’m still going to ask my dealer to make it right somehow, throw in a couple surf boards or some other gear at least.

These mid-year price increases coming on the heels of another mid-year price increase at 1/1/2022 are crazy to me.  Especially in the face of very high consumer financing costs. 

Edited by rennis
4 minutes ago, 555nova said:

I’m almost positive Malibu/axis websites said no price increase on 2022 and 2023 boats when we ordered ours…..It’s not like $7k is inconsequential. I’m still going to ask my dealer to make it right somehow, throw in a couple surf boards or some other gear at least.

Good luck with that.  Our dealer split the cost of the mid-year 2022 price increase with us but that was about it. I don't think the dealers are real happy or are laughing all the way to the bank with it

I wonder what sales this feb. compared to last feb are for most dealers? maybe they are back to " normal" so the increase is achievable? that would be hard for me to eat 7k while i love malibu / axis and my dealer those are tough pills to take without reconsidering brand loyalty.  and I certainly don't think the dealers are getting much if any of that money.

I am in construction and its always a game when the price stops going up and starts plateauing / going down. The only way to get the true answer is to pit suppliers/ manufacturers against each other with actual orders to see who is willing to adjust. I swear the drywall market follows the boat market to a T right now. manufacturers just announced  a January increase and cnbc has this article on the front page. https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/01/mortgage-demand-falls-interest-rates-rise.html makes 0 since. suppliers are not buying it and not passing the cost to the customer for jobs 3 months down the road. will be intersting to see how it settles. similar to the boat market,  i would just about bet money that the raw material cost of manufacturing a boat in December 22 was the exact same price as the cost on Jan. 12th. maybe i am wrong , just my 2 cents.

Last year after I placed my order there were at least two increases.  My dealer kept me at the original price.  Not sure that was because they are good guys or because I didn't get a crazy deal to begin with.

Meh I would price shop it. This deposit doesnt secure price is Bs. Why should I let someone sit on my money if we havent come to an agreement. 7k is enough to make me walk. Malibu was all about that no price increases too when I looked back in the fall. Im sure dealer cant do much about it, but I would be shopping used 22 models or leftover 22s and see if there is a deal to be had. 

• Like 1
On 3/1/2023 at 4:15 PM, gtfish said:

Last year after I placed my order there were at least two increases.  My dealer kept me at the original price.  Not sure that was because they are good guys or because I didn't get a crazy deal to begin with.

Same with us. If I remember correctly I received the letter from Malibu stating there was going to be an increase but my dealer told me not to worry about it that they were going to honor what we locked in at the time of ordering.