Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

changing soft grip and deck track cost?

smuurph84

has anyone changed out the SoftGrip and deck track? on a 22'-23' 2020 or newer malibu? curious what a rough cost would be?  assuming this would be for all the interior pieces as well that are behind the wake view bench and behind the cup holders? I am very  interested in a used boat but can get over the soft grip color. also the boat has a transferrable warrantee would they warrantee the new softgrip to the extent of the rest of the boat if i did the swap out through the dealer?

Put gator step in in for about 2k and be done. Pick your own colors and design. They will custom cut whatever designs you want into it. Worst part will be removing the old soft grip and adhesive 

10 minutes ago, mxmark4 said:

Worst part will be removing the old soft grip and adhesive 

This!

I replaced a swim platform pad a few years ago. I wouldn't suggest replacing everything in the boat to anyone if the current Softgrip is stuck well. It doesn't come up without a lot of scraping and adhesive remover, A LOT!!

I'd call one of the installers as well, Seadek, Gator Step or any of the newer ones out there. I'm betting $2k wouldn't touch it for everything you are looking at. That amount might do just the floor but swim platform, deck track and the big pieces behind the wake view seat would probably push it to $3k.

• Like 1

I’ve done a swim platform and a few random pieces over the years. If you are going to move forward sit the boat in the hot sun for a bit, the hotter the better. 

If you have a heat gun and a 2nd set of hands that would help too, 

A full boat kit was about 1700 last I checked for my Moomba. I was adding a Malibu premium. That 2k definitely wont touch removal and install, but thats the joy of owning a boat. Triple that and you have a ready to go price. You would have to template your boat too as they only go to 2017 on a 23 lsv 

If you go to GatorStep.com they have just about every boat kit possible listed on there with pricing. You can select each individual grouping too along with colors and pattern. So you could just price out the storage compartments or just the deck track or just the bow etc. I wanted the do the whole bow and deck track all the way back and my estimated total was about $575 on my 2017 23 LSV. Looks like the have through 2021 model year on there for the LSV line up so far. 1000% agree, getting the old off is the hardest part of the job.

I just talked to a Sea Deck rep at a boat show I went to and they were similar priced but they didn't have the ease of the website to help design and order yourself.

Also side note, Gator Step told me they would not put the Malibu logo in anymore without written approval from Malibu which from my experience is hard to get. Prolly have to go after market laser cutting if you are looking for the Malibu logo on anything.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:21 AM, smuurph84 said:

also the boat has a transferrable warrantee would they warrantee the new softgrip to the extent of the rest of the boat if i did the swap out through the dealer?

Malibu will not warranty soft grip just to do a color change.

9 minutes ago, COOP said:

Malibu will not warranty soft grip just to do a color change.

What about, would Malibu still warranty a new floor if the customer paid for a new Malibu specific floor and the labor to install?  After it was installed and if there were issues, would Malibu cover that under warranty?  I'd suspect that would then be a dealer issue.

@smuurph84 What year is the boat you're considering?  If it is older than 2022, they have switched suppliers of the soft grip and the light gray color does not match - others may be the same.  So, if there are true warranty issues with the existing floor, Malibu would cover that replacement.  Since the colors don't match, they have to replace the entire floor and if lucky, you could pick your colors then.  My dealer says it is 16+ hrs of removal and prep time for each floor replacement... and my boat has been through two of them.

27 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

What about, would Malibu still warranty a new floor if the customer paid for a new Malibu specific floor and the labor to install?  After it was installed and if there were issues, would Malibu cover that under warranty?  I'd suspect that would then be a dealer issue.

@smuurph84 What year is the boat you're considering?  If it is older than 2022, they have switched suppliers of the soft grip and the light gray color does not match - others may be the same.  So, if there are true warranty issues with the existing floor, Malibu would cover that replacement.  Since the colors don't match, they have to replace the entire floor and if lucky, you could pick your colors then.  My dealer says it is 16+ hrs of removal and prep time for each floor replacement... and my boat has been through two of them.

I dont know how they would apply the warranty a new floor. Given the option I would go with Seadek or Gator Step and let them warranty it.

They have actually switch colors several times. So if pieces that need replaced are different they will replace it. 

As a dealer I can tell you we HATE having to replace soft grip flooring. Its time consuming and a royal PITA. It absolutely sucks to to have a tech occupied for a day or two replacing soft grip when he could be doing things to keep boats on the water in stead. BTW, the techs HATE having to replace this stuff.

My opinion, get it warrantied and dont install it. When you sell the boat tell the buyer you have new flooring to go with it. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 9:51 AM, COOP said:

I dont know how they would apply the warranty a new floor. Given the option I would go with Seadek or Gator Step and let them warranty it.

They have actually switch colors several times. So if pieces that need replaced are different they will replace it. 

As a dealer I can tell you we HATE having to replace soft grip flooring. Its time consuming and a royal PITA. It absolutely sucks to to have a tech occupied for a day or two replacing soft grip when he could be doing things to keep boats on the water in stead. BTW, the techs HATE having to replace this stuff.

My opinion, get it warrantied and dont install it. When you sell the boat tell the buyer you have new flooring to go with it. :biggrin:

start a rolled corner, get a heat gun, clamp to a chain, start pulling with the forklift.....

works well as long as you can pull slow enough no rip the the piece 

On 3/3/2023 at 5:20 PM, wakebrdr94 said:

start a rolled corner, get a heat gun, clamp to a chain, start pulling with the forklift.....

works well as long as you can pull slow enough no rip the the piece 

It will tear, maybe not the Axis stuff, but the Malibu stuff almost never comes off in one piece.

We've done several.