Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

13’ 247 LSV purchase?

Colby

Hello all,

Looking at purchasing a 2013 247 with the Corvette engine.  I’m aware of the potential screen issue on these, anything else I should look out for?  Any opinions on this boat in general?

Started out looking for an OG 23lsv, then got caught in the creep. I’m now near the top of my budget and can’t really go newer unless I go smaller, less power, more hours etc. 

Thanks for your opinions. 

25 OG surfboat that actually surfs very  well and looks great , it and  the 25 13 G stand out in that class

it probably has been thru the first gen SG lenco control box and actuator issues.  As long as the SG wiring harness control box cap hasn't  been infected with corrosion at the control box in the male pins (someone on here rebuilt the female cap ( above my paygrade😳), it should be very reliable.  finding snd replacing first gen  SG actuators is easy.  Control boxes are back being controlled by malibu which wasn't the case 3-4 years ago therefore much more expensive.  even replacing the harness thru a stringer wasn't that bad.  the rest is maintenance and screen issues as you said

i had the first gen SG on a ‘14 axis, they are identical except for the dash interface.  i even had issues with dash male spade connectors  loose on the   Sg toggle switches , that should not be an issue for you.  

interview your seller about these issues and Sg reliability and you should get a sense of how much you will experience the above

i think your a lucky for power wedge actuator snd control box issues as i believe your vintage is the “better/faster/reliable” MY because you can get the same compatibility  control box and actuator . when replaced you dont have to do both 

Edited by granddaddy55

I have owned this boat but with the 6.0L engine for the past 4 years and a bit more than 300 hours.  Prior to me, they only put 85 hours on the boat and according to the dealer that sold it to me, they did all the work on it and it had no issues.  Items that I have had to address:

Power switch failure - $15

Touchscreen failure - $1400 at the time, but more now.

1 x surf gate Actuator - $500

Re-routing Plug and Play plumbing - $50

Chasing an electrical issue that leads to a loss of CAN signal - $0 and a lot of wire wiggling (this has happened intermittently twice, but knock on wood has seemed to be gone now.

I am having some issues with pre-sets not working, but it is not a big enough deal for me to dive into.

Everything else that I have done to the boat falls under the maintenance category, i.e. fluids, batteries, impellers, props, etc.  It is probably time to tackle the ignition system, but again that is maintenance.  I have been very happy with the boat.  Happy to answer any other questions that you might have.

my friend had a 2014 247 with the LS3.  Awesome boat.  great surfing, the more people the better.  I have seen some downright scary waves behind his boat with 10+ adults on board.  He kept a 800lb aux ballast bag and would put it in the bow alley when there was less people on board.  Timeless lines and that corvette motor is a perfect combo.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:36 PM, amartin said:

I have owned this boat but with the 6.0L engine for the past 4 years and a bit more than 300 hours.  Prior to me, they only put 85 hours on the boat and according to the dealer that sold it to me, they did all the work on it and it had no issues.  Items that I have had to address:

Power switch failure - $15

Touchscreen failure - $1400 at the time, but more now.

1 x surf gate Actuator - $500

Re-routing Plug and Play plumbing - $50

Chasing an electrical issue that leads to a loss of CAN signal - $0 and a lot of wire wiggling (this has happened intermittently twice, but knock on wood has seemed to be gone now.

I am having some issues with pre-sets not working, but it is not a big enough deal for me to dive into.

Everything else that I have done to the boat falls under the maintenance category, i.e. fluids, batteries, impellers, props, etc.  It is probably time to tackle the ignition system, but again that is maintenance.  I have been very happy with the boat.  Happy to answer any other questions that you might have.

did you buy the SG actuator from Malibu?  first gen bought from lenco direct was less than $200, cant remember exactly but i think it was a good bit less than that like $100 ish.  when lenco was selling the boxes they were only 250.  the first gen actuators were fairly common throughout boating industry, therefore cheap and easy to get straight from them from the number stamped on it.  why $500? was this including labor?  they are stupid easy replacements

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

did you buy the SG actuator from Malibu?  first gen bought from lenco direct was less than $200, cant remember exactly but i think it was a good bit less than that like $100 ish.  when lenco was selling the boxes they were only 250.  the first gen actuators were fairly common throughout boating industry, therefore cheap and easy to get straight from them from the number stamped on it.  why $500? was this including labor?  they are stupid easy replacements

I bought it on malibuparts.com this past October if I remember correctly.  I agree with the easy replacement. I did it with the boat on a lift and without removing the platform, which added a degree of difficulty though!

• Like 1
On 2/16/2023 at 11:37 AM, amartin said:

I bought it on malibuparts.com this past October if I remember correctly.  I agree with the easy replacement. I did it with the boat on a lift and without removing the platform, which added a degree of difficulty though!

next one just read what is stamped on it and call lenco, even if they have bern hit by price increases it should be half or less