Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WS amp/speaker setup.

ROFF

Hi all.    Picked up a WS HTX-4 to replace my RF factory amp for the 8 cabin speakers.    Also have a pair of REV 10s on the tower powered by a SYN-4.   

Would it be better to power the cabin sneakers with the higher power SYN4 and power the 2 Revs with the HTX?   Was having trouble with the original RF amp cutting out powering the internals. 

thanks!

Switch the amps. 300 W to a Rev10 is adequate. 75W to cabin speakers is not enough. It sounds like it is but you’re running the amp at 110%. It’s much more efficient to have more amp than speakers and tune it right.  Stuff stays cooler. That’s my two cents  

Cabins are more important than tower speakers most of the time to.  You turn those up way more than you expect.  

Make sure you get a good sub as well to help match up to the 6.5” coaxials. They’re kinda bright and need some bass and a little eq to be awesome. 

• Like 1

If my memory serves me right, the OEM amp was 100 x 4 @ 2 ohm, so 50W net to eigth speakers. So stepping up to 150W x 4 @ 2 ohm is a step in the right direction. One advantage cabin speakers have, is the bathtub effect. Similar to speakers in closed car, but not quite to that level of effect. So for many listeners, a ton of wattage is not needed to have some solid volume. 

With tower pods up high and in an open environment, its a different ball game. More wattage is needed. Even more when you are listening outside the boat while its underway, like surfing. Given the gear on hand, id leave the 400W x 2 for the tower pods and the 150W x 4 @ 2 ohm for the cabin.