Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me choose my next project(s)! (2019 22 LSV)

dshack

I've reached the point in winter where I've skiied enough deep powder that I'm itching for the turn of the season to get my boat out. It's still too cold to justify a trip down south, so I'm thinking about doing some mods to my 2019 22 LSV to scratch the boating itch.

I bought my boat towards the end of last summer and it came moderately equipped (heater, power seat riser, 4 tower speakers, 2 amps, wakeview seat, etc.). In the fall I added an onboard charger + ACR, skylon racks, bimini surf pockets, rope storage system, Spotify car thing, and sea strainer flush kit. I've got an order in with gatorstep for the gunnells and bow and will be installing that when it arrives. 

I'd love feedback on which mods to do next. Here are the mods I'm contemplating (in somewhat priority order). Which ones have you have loved and which ones aren't worth it? Which ones am I missing?

1) Add bow step to trailer: I've got some scrap metal and a welder and can pretty easily throw something together that will just bolt on under the winch (like the Inland Curl version). I'm often backing the trailer down and jumping in to pull the boat off, so this will be nice (got 2 little kids so we divide and conquer!)

2) Add GPS antenna + navionics map: Cheap and easy to install, will help when exploring big lakes like Powell and Flaming Gorge

3) Add seat heater element to drivers seat: Would be nice for cold mornings, I'm a little scared to pull the vinyl but I'm sure I can figure it out. Should be pre-wired. Cheap if I go generic on the element

4) Add docking lights: Kinda pricey and involves drilling hull which I don't love. Could be nice for when we are getting back to trailer or campsite late but not sure if its worth it. Can always keep a headlamp in the glovebox.

5) Add underwater transom lights: Not sure if this is worth it, illegal to surf after dark in UT. Seems kinda gimmicky but I can be convinced I'm wrong.

6) Add shower: Rarely used it on my old boat even though it is kinda nice to pre-warm a wet suit. Seems easier to just HTFU and jump in. The pizza tray warmer helps.

7) ???

THANKS!

44 minutes ago, dshack said:

4) Add docking lights: Kinda pricey and involves drilling hull which I don't love. Could be nice for when we are getting back to trailer or campsite late but not sure if its worth it. Can always keep a headlamp in the glovebox.

5) Add underwater transom lights: Not sure if this is worth it, illegal to surf after dark in UT. Seems kinda gimmicky but I can be convinced I'm wrong.

6) Add shower: Rarely used it on my old boat even though it is kinda nice to pre-warm a wet suit. Seems easier to just HTFU and jump in. The pizza tray warmer helps.

I like mods 1 and 2; unfamiliar with #3.

Drilling holes isn't such a big deal, just REALLY make sure you measure twice before you drill and DEFINITELY chamfer the holes after drilling.  I use docking lights often, but I also do plenty of night boating.

Underwater transom lights were a huge hit when I installed them. Definitely adds a fun vibe to the evening dip off the swim step.

For sure the shower has been used a fair amount since I (re)installed it.  Even if you don't do any wetsuit warming it is nice to have available when someone is chilly before toweling off, but is easily the spendiest and hardest to install of these three mods.

Mods 1 and 2 seem like the biggest return on investment. Those plus gatorstep will be appreciated every trip.  I'd start there and see if itch is scratched before moving down the list.

Upvote for the docking lights. They reduce stress during end of the day when everyone is tired, fussy, and coordination between people is needed.  Not sure your hull contour, however my A20 has a couple of forward-facing areas made for the lights. Was able to add a pair of inexpensive LEDs with space for more if needed (more weren’t needed).  Amazon search for EAGLE EYE LED 12v FOG TAIL DRL will show the style I used. Watch some gelcoat drilling videos before drilling. 

Bow step would be nice trailer addition. Anything to more safely board whilst a beer is in one hand!

• Like 2

I vote for #1 and work your way down the list.  Those are all nice mods.  If you are thinking of reselling I would work the list backwards lol 

Edited by anutami

Seat heater is a simple install. Was plug and play on mine and pulling vinyl was easy in my 2018. 2019 model has different seat cushion but should be similar. All wires were there just had to pull them up from under the floor. I actually bought the heater pad from an aftermarket seat heater supplier and project cost less than $60. I did cut off the weatherpack wire connectors and just used butt splice crimps.image.png.82a02b5ec06ca0af0a26ba3329a937d1.pngimage.png.4ea7711b1df2d1540b5497338c64d5f7.png

#2 Navionics Maps is also simple and value added if you run unfamiliar lakes occasionally. I Zip tied the antenna under the drivers console and it worked perfect. It does have to be out from under the windshield frame for it to work good. On my LSV23 it was out in front of windshield.image.png.2ee73e5715f827b202a35b313c346e5f.png                                                                                                                                                                  Plug card in and go.image.png.cbc0f21ebc810ade1076b5e22f9fe880.png

Edited by dalt1

#1 easy to copy, sounds like you already have a good plan for it. I made mine. Integrated it into the winch stiffener project that was needed to keep the winch base from Tacoing. Was a common issue before they started bolting them to the outside of the base instead of center 2 bolts. 

2 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

#1 easy to copy, sounds like you already have a good plan for it. I made mine. Integrated it into the winch stiffener project that was needed to keep the winch base from Tacoing. Was a common issue before they started bolting them to the outside of the base instead of center 2 bolts. 

Now it won't let me post pic? Try to post it later.image.png.395d07eb9e752be3e839f4143e6a0543.png

Edited by dalt1

Thanks for all the super helpful input!! Going to pull the cover off today and get started on a few of these projects.

On the underwater lights, the OEM ones seem the simplest because they can tap into the existing wiring harness (versus running another line from the battery for Liquid Lumens). Think I'll regret going for the simple/clean OEM route vs a "higher powered" alternative?

ahopkins22LSV

If you buy the latest OEM version of the underwater lights I don’t think you will be disappointed. Also, I would mount them in the factory location that started in 2020. They are much more outboard to not get blocked by the wedge. 

F9F07826-294C-42D4-850E-6093402ABB80.jpeg

B48CE87E-774D-4795-9711-2320C0F91A1D.jpeg

65A7F270-FD21-463B-970A-A039F1526DDC.jpeg

Just to document a few things in case it helps others down the road:

-I had previously swapped out my trailer winch for a bulkier / heavier duty version, and after looking at it I determined the angles/clearance aren't right (will either prevent me from dropping my truck tailgate or make it hard to change the direction knob)

-Docking light wires are accessible by removing the bow speakers. I think I can get by without having to remove any cushions.

-To remove the drivers seat cushion for the heated seat install, there are 2 black screws accessible when you flip up the bolster holding down the seat bottom. Then there are 2 upside down silver screws at the bottom holding in the seat back (pivot the seat back forward and pull up to release)

-The GPS antenna / SD card slot is accessed by removing the black stbd bow seat storage bin (4 screws)

5 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

If you buy the latest OEM version of the underwater lights I don’t think you will be disappointed. Also, I would mount them in the factory location that started in 2020. They are much more outboard to not get blocked by the wedge. 

F9F07826-294C-42D4-850E-6093402ABB80.jpeg

B48CE87E-774D-4795-9711-2320C0F91A1D.jpeg

65A7F270-FD21-463B-970A-A039F1526DDC.jpeg

My issue is finding a green color option to go with the boat color scheme. do aftermarket options fit OEM holes and it’s just a wiring thing?

For docking lights I would recommend adding rigid spot light cubes to your tower. Significantly brighter than any docking lights out there. Generally tower lights aren’t great but the rigids being such a narrow/bright beam they really don’t flood the bow of the boat like traditional tower lights. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

My issue is finding a green color option to go with the boat color scheme. do aftermarket options fit OEM holes and it’s just a wiring thing?

The the wiring should fit through the clearance hole in the hull but the likely hood that the mounting holes for the lights line up is pretty slim. At least in my experience for what aftermarket offers compared to the oem lights. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The the wiring should fit through the clearance hole in the hull but the likely hood that the mounting holes for the lights line up is pretty slim. At least in my experience for what aftermarket offers compared to the oem lights. 

Yeah that’s a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the input brother!

For the sake of documentation, here are the items I've ordered for these mods:

2 suggestions for projects if your 2019 is anything like my 2019. I hate that I have to say this, but…

1. Go through the entire boat, hull and drive train looking for loose or missing fasteners and brackets. You may be surprised at what you find or don’t.

2. I replaced every “wood” screw that I could access that had hinges securing a cushion to the hull with SS machine screws, washers and nylocs. I had to slightly over size drill the holes but no big. I can’t count the number of towels, shredded jackets, hands and a brand new BABZ I have had to replace. I also replaced the embarrassing lag bolts used on the drivers seat base with SS button head hex bolts, washers and nylocs as well. Lastly I went through the entire boat, especially the rear lockers and the observers compartment with a 100 grit sanding block and knocked down all of the fiberglass splinters and ridges. Those things were brutal!

21 minutes ago, wdr said:

2 suggestions for projects if your 2019 is anything like my 2019. I hate that I have to say this, but…

1. Go through the entire boat, hull and drive train looking for loose or missing fasteners and brackets. You may be surprised at what you find or don’t.

2. I replaced every “wood” screw that I could access that had hinges securing a cushion to the hull with SS machine screws, washers and nylocs. I had to slightly over size drill the holes but no big. I can’t count the number of towels, shredded jackets, hands and a brand new BABZ I have had to replace. I also replaced the embarrassing lag bolts used on the drivers seat base with SS button head hex bolts, washers and nylocs as well. Lastly I went through the entire boat, especially the rear lockers and the observers compartment with a 100 grit sanding block and knocked down all of the fiberglass splinters and ridges. Those things were brutal!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll put those on my list! I already discovered the stupid hose clamp on the pizza warmer drain when I nicked my seat back. That one pissed me off! 

18 hours ago, dshack said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll put those on my list! I already discovered the stupid hose clamp on the pizza warmer drain when I nicked my seat back. That one pissed me off! 

See I knew I wasn't the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

Does anyone know if the factory harness includes wiring for a shower and where it is? I've got a breaker under the throttle labeled "Shower", but I don't see a labeled wire anywhere in the engine compartment for a shower.

Also just for anyone following along, after getting the Twist deck shower from Amazon I've determined I will need a pump to use it due to the mixer valve having small ports (will restrict flow a ton). However, the Twist mechanism means I cannot install a pump between the mixer and the shower head, meaning it would require 2 seperate pumps... one on the cold and one on the hot hot. I can get cheap 1-2 gpm pumps, but I am losing enthusiasm for this mod and may just return the shower to Amazon for now. Just not crazy about a bunch of fittings and the potential for one of them to leak.

Liquid Lumens and GPS stuff arrived today, docking lights are arriving tomorrow! Probably won't install those until after our storm cycle we are getting early next week.

Edited by dshack