Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ford 7.3 Godzilla Failures

RyanB

17 minutes ago, wdr said:

Looks like a spalling effect that I have seen on other metal surfaces. 

I concur.  This is a metallurgy problem commonly seen in roll mills.  Everything conspires against a roller put under pressure, and particularly when the pressure is intermittent.

This particular problem could be the steel formula, hardening process, grinding/polishing, a heat gradient during warmup, or even the lack of a good wiper on the cam and roller to make sure that no particles are allowed to get between the two.

Cheap Chinese Steele more than likely. A lot of transmissions shops seeing it in the new 10 speeds transmissions also. Drums in the Allison badged trans wearing through at 100k and gears In all the ten speeds wearing and shearing teeth prematurely. 

I'm trying to work out the $30k.  New long block engine is 9-10k, labor to install in an RV??? maybe 10k?  Seems like a lot.  But finding a Ford dealer to work on an RV these days is also becoming harder... maybe there are surcharges?

On 2/8/2023 at 11:37 AM, UWSkier said:

Supposedly there are RVs with 7.3s going down just off warranty and Ford's saying $30k to replace.  Yuck!  Looking more and more like the GM 6.6 is my next truck engine.

I have a 2020 2500 with the gas 6.6 and 120k miles on it problem free. It has been used for everything from work in the oilfield to pulling my 42' 5th wheel. Doesn't have the towing power my Duramax has, but I bet now that they are putting the 10 speed behind it will make it even better. Scoggin Dickey offers the same engine with rod/piston/head upgrades in a 2000+ HP twin turbo crate motor. 

• Like 2
On 2/9/2023 at 11:09 AM, oldjeep said:

Yeesh.  Roller lifters are not exactly a new invention.

Yet you can find threads on a forum, somewhere, where a person will make a case to AVOID AT ALL COSTS for _________ engine because of valve train or related issues. For gas at least, except what, maybe toyota?

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2023 at 1:44 PM, Jhucke said:

Yet you can find threads on a forum, somewhere, where a person will make a case to AVOID AT ALL COSTS for _________ engine because of valve train or related issues. For gas at least, except what, maybe toyota?

The new twin turbo Toyota truck engine is having turbo failures as well...

I would not buy anything new that you plan on keeping for more than 25k miles at this point.  Quality control is done.   We just got new fleet trucks, about 6 of them, chevy duramax and half have been in the shop already and haven't even hit 30k yet.  And they are weird electrical issues to major mechanical issues. 

3 hours ago, redrooster said:

I would not buy anything new that you plan on keeping for more than 25k miles at this point.  Quality control is done.   We just got new fleet trucks, about 6 of them, chevy duramax and half have been in the shop already and haven't even hit 30k yet.  And they are weird electrical issues to major mechanical issues. 

What is the typical use of these trucks. 
I am just curious 

15 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

What is the typical use of these trucks. 
I am just curious 

75% highway. Light towing up to 12k the other 25%. Average of 25k-50k miles a year.