Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Response LXI wiring diagram

h2oskidude

Are there any wiring diagrams for the 2005 Response LXI.  Had some starting issues and got it fix somehow. I hate it when things fix themselves, and your not really sure what the problem was. I just unplugged several plugs in the wiring like the  distributor and a few others. There are 3-10 amp fuses that are on the right rear of the motor and one was really burnt bad but it was amazing that it wasn't blown. I cleaned them up and replaced the fuses anyway, and cleaned the other electrical connection and started right up. Does and one know what those 3 fuses go to?

The fuses protect the circuits for the three relays.  The powertrain relay for the coil and fuel injectors, the fuel pump relay, and the starter relay.  I would check the relays and their connectors if you found burn marks on the fuse.  Also check your main power and ground cables on the engine. 

18 hours ago, h2oskidude said:

Are there any wiring diagrams for the 2005 Response LXI.  Had some starting issues and got it fix somehow. I hate it when things fix themselves, and your not really sure what the problem was. I just unplugged several plugs in the wiring like the  distributor and a few others. There are 3-10 amp fuses that are on the right rear of the motor and one was really burnt bad but it was amazing that it wasn't blown. I cleaned them up and replaced the fuses anyway, and cleaned the other electrical connection and started right up. Does and one know what those 3 fuses go to?

You describe a process where you fixed the issue, then say it fixed itself.  Connectors in a boat get cruddy over time due to humidity and oxygen.

Find every connection near those fuses and relays and remove, inspect, and clean them, then install them with a dab of "dielectric" grease or spray them with light spray oil.  Next, lay on your back and do the same thing for every connection you find under the dashboard. 

Finally, warm the engine and clean it with a garden hose, let it dry, and spray the entire thing (except the pulleys) with light spray oil.  Don't forget the motor mounts and oil pan.  Do this once a year, or more if you boat in brackish or salt water.

Burnt like connections usually indicate a loose or poor connection which can arc and/or create heat at normal current flow thereby not blowing fuses.

Just guessing it was the starter relay. Those draw the most current, but for a short time. As said above you need to look for the culprit. My guess is a bad engine ground, starter connections or key connection.

Steve B.

Thanks justgary, electricjohn, and Steve B.  Justgary what I meant was I did go through and disconnect and reconnect all the connections and I already had dielectric grease on them except where the three fuses were one had burnt along the side of the fuse but never did blow it. and after I reconnected everything it started. So I was not really sure which connection it was is why I said it fixed itself. My battery had also died in the process so I had hooked up a charger and used the starter boost which I think might have cause the burnt side of the fuse because I didn't have grease on them. I'm going to replace the 3 place fuse holder because one of the connection is really burnt. It took for ever trying to fine one like it.

Thanks for all your great input. Everyone was right on with their comments. 

Oh and sorry about you two that live in the cold north. I use to live in Indiana but now in Winter Heaven, FL

• 2 weeks later...